Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty Walking/balance/gait/hip problems

I had a sleeve gastrectomy done Dec. 2011. My highest weight pre-op was 238 (I had co-morbidities). I lost 42 pounds in 4 months (from 228 - 186) and then stalled forever. Then I started gaining weight back. I got a hiatal hernia last year. The doctor said why not fix that and change you to a full gastric. My 2nd surgery was 11-20-14. I did NOT want another surgery but I'm glad now because it is working MUCH better. I am now 165 pounds. BUT, I am now having walking/balance/gait/hip problems. When I walk it feels like my legs are flopping around. I also am having tingling in my left calf and left foot. I don't have as much cushion on my bum and it seems like sitting for long times affect me more (I have an office job). Is anyone else experiencing something like this? What did you do about it? How long were you like this? It has been about 3 weeks. I can only wear flats because of it.

Have you seen a doctor? None of this is normal or typical.It could be a spinal issue of some sort. I would call the doctor ASAP.

With any kind of walking, balance, or gait problem you should be seeing an orthopedist and/or neurologist. I have all of those issues, associated with multiple herniated discs in my lumbar spine. I was also checked for a Vitamin D deficiency since there seems to be a similar correlation with that, too. Walking is important. Please get checked out. There are alternatives to back surgery.

I think they have given you excellent advice. I lost way more weight and didn't have those issues..So have it checked.

What is a "full gastric"?

What your talking about does indeed sound like neuropathy, which has many causes. From disc issues, to spine issues, to more serious issues. I wont go into those as there is no need to scare anyone or be irresponsible. Suffice it to say, talk with your doctor. good luck.

I had 8 weeks of physical therapy last fall for a foot injury, it helped alot with strengthing my foot muscles, but also helped with loosening up other muscles too. The therapist gave me great ideas for reducing my hip pain and other issues. When you see your Dr. , see if he /she will recommend you to a Physical Therapist. I also just started Pilates class about 8 weeks ago, Im slooowwwwlllyyyyy improving in flexibility, noticing my hips are looser and not so tight. I was told that a weak core ( common in past and present overweight people ) is connected to numerous pain and nerve problems for alot of people. So, strengthing your core might be something to look into. Good luck !!!

I called my doc. They are going to do specific blood tests tomorrow (like Vit B1). They are recommending me to a physical therapist. Hmm, they didn't mention an xray or mri or anything. I did move recently and I may have injured myself. By full gastric I meant Gastric Bypass. I call it that because the first surgery was sleeve and it explains which surgery I'm talking about. Such as "when I had my sleeve surgery....when I had my full gastric...". I wasn't thinking when I typed it.

As for core strengthening, I just started yoga. I love it!

After you lose weight it is common to experience some pain and discomfort (on your bum) when you sit for a long time. I went on a long trip by car and I had to resort to buying a gel cushion to sit on to reduce the pain. The pain drove into my feet and made it difficult to drive. I drive a stick shift.

But this was a transitory problem. I believe it was amplified by the fact that I was suffering from the cold at the time. That problem seems to have self corrected itself over time.

Other posts on this website discuss this problem and there is a variety of cushions made for this anomaly. So you might search the back threads on the site for ideas. Here is a link

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/321933-tailbone-problems-anyone/

Edited by James Marusek

Ok. Finally someone else has the same issues as I have, not that that is a good thing! I regularly see a chiropractor, who helps put things back where they SHOULD be. But it doesn't last very long, as I haven't yet built up those muscles to keep the joints in place. That's the thing. My nurse has told me our bodies WILL change in stride, gait...as we lose weight. THUS it will require us to change, as well. Things will need to figure out where they are going to be, in the body, and it may take a while to sort itself out. My Chiro-guy was shocked to see how much things have altered in my body due to the weight loss, so he's having a field day (!!!) messing with my body (while I am in excruciating pain, I might add!). This is going to take time, but may I suggest seeing a GOOD, REPUTABLE chiropractor to help you with this? Research the Chiro's, people, and try to find a REALLY good one. This is the voice of experience speaking here!!!!

I misheard my doc on the phone. He said he was referring me to a "neurologist" not "therapist". It was in his email. I ordered a cushion for work. Can I just say that everything aches too? This must be the opposite of "growing pains"! :) I haven't heard back on my labs yet. Thanks for the input!

I went to the Pain Clinic to meet with a physiatrist to discuss hip pain and other issues (extremity arthritis). Voltaren Gel is my friend but mostly I have benefited from physical therapy. It can be hard to diagnose what's going on. I thought going in it might be arthritis in the hip but it's not (yippee!). It's a periformis issue and now I'm doing PT exercises to strengthen. And core, core, it's all about the core......

Good luck to you!

My blood tests have all been great. So no problems there (i.e. with zinc deficiency, etc.). The neurologist is scheduling me for an electromyography (EMG - a nerve test) and an MRI. My physical exam showed weakness in the right toe and right heel. That is why my right foot is flopping down. I have numbness and tingling in my outer left calf and top of my left foot. This could be indicative of muscular dystrophy. Particularly Udd distal myopathy. I'm 55 years young and of European descent so it is possible. But it could just be a pinched nerve, etc. We have to determine if the problem is in the nerves or in the muscles.

Thank you all for encouraging me to look into this further and not assume it was just because of weight loss. I guess we need to continue to be aware of our bodies as we journey on this path to better health. I'll keep you posted in case anyone else encounters this situation.