Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does running get easier!?

Hello everyone, just looking for some input and motivation to continue. I don't like to run, never did, but I think that has a lot to do with me always being heavy and it being painful. I still have 40 lbs to go before goal and I started running yesterday.

What do you think of running in the treadmill vs running out doors? I did a mile yesterday inspite of my fat causing aftershocks all over my body lol.

I have several friends out of the are that do 5k on the regular and just want to be able to join in the good times too. Sorry for the long post, any input is appreciated :)

Yes, the more you run, the easier it gets. Not really easier each day, but if you do it consistantly, it will eventually get easier to do as the weeks and months go by. I'm not saying running on the treadmill is bad for you, but it isn't all that functional in regards to improving your regular street/track running. It burns cals, especially on an incline, but physiologically, it's quite a bit different that plain running. I'm not a huge fan of running either. Not that I hate it, but too much of it works against my strength/muscle goals. I still do cardio 1-2 times a week and run a mud run once a year, but that's about it for me. It all comes down to your goals. If you want to run a marathon or 1/2 marathon one day, by all means run and run A LOT, while limiting resistance training. What are your goals or what is it you aim to achieve from running?

I have dreams of being a runner one day. I tried the C25K about 2 years ago and was going good until I had a back injury. I hope to try again post op!

Thanks for replying!

I just want to do a few fun 5ks now and then. I was thinking it might help my legs out. These thunder thighs have got to go! Maybe I'll pick up a bicycle instead and continue to strength train n work on my core.

You should've see how red my face was afterwards! The expressions I got were comical, is what it is though :) thanks again, I'll not give up on running but I think I agree with running outside would be better :)

I have dreams of being a runner one day. I tried the C25K about 2 years ago and was going good until I had a back injury. I hope to try again post op!

Back injuries are very painful, hope it's all healed up for you now :)

Lol I used to run 3-5 miles a day 6 or 7 years ago at 4:30 am outside every morning before work . I physically hate running! I hate feeling my body jiggling and hate that my boobs get in the way. However, I loved the mental aspect of running. It was my quiet and alone time where nobody needed anything from me and I could mentally shut down for a while. My body slimmed down rapidly once I was running regularly and didn't have quite as much jiggle after a while. I got injured and haven't run in years and I do truly miss it. It does grow on you after a while!

On another note- if you need a high compression sports bra try Enell brand. They are absolutely hideous and ugly, but your boobs Do Not move at ALL. I wear a g cup and had never found a sports bra that would keep them still. I used to wear multiple sports bras and then wrap an ace bandage around over the top just to keep them somewhat still. I just had to share that little piece of advise too.

If you want to continue running, I would recommend you start slower. Don't focus on speed at least for the first year. Use a Couch to 5K app to go through a gradual training plan. Most of them start at running for about 45 sec walking 2 min and than repeating for about 30 min, not 1 mile!

Run slow enough so that you can still talk while running. Don't run every day; your body needs time to rest. Check out YouTube videos for Chi running form. It will put less stress on your joints. Also get fitted for good running shoes. If you have knee pain, I would recommend a zero drop or low heal shoe.

Set a goal, for example, you can probably run a 5k after training for 10-12 Weeks, so sign up for a race. Don't worry if you can't run the whole thing. There will be many people that will interval run or even walk most of the race. Running feels great when you're in shape and have trained. I do my best creative thinking on my runs.

Finally, I always look at three things when I'm running. If I'm having trouble breathing, I slow down. If my legs are hurting, I give them a good roller massage after I'm done and a hot soak in Epsom salts. If I'm fatigued, I analyze what I ate and drank before running. You shouldnt need any additional food for a 30 min run, but I need to fuel up for weekend long runs.

I started running a month after surgery when I was about 70lb to goal. Ran my first 5k using intervals after 3 months. Ran my first 10K after 9 months and ran my first half marathon after 11 months at 48 yrs old. I'm back training for a 10K after having plastics in July. I started back using the Couch to 5K app and ran a 5K this weekend.

Yes! It gets easier. You'll have good days and bad days though. That is the nature of running. This summer I was half assing C25K on the treadmill at the gym. Then, in September, a friend asked me to do a 5k in October. So I got serious. I started running outdoors, which I found was much easier than the treadmill. On the treadmill you have to keep up with whatever pace you set. Outside, your body makes natural adjustments for your stride and energy. I ran that 5k and I kept with it. A couple of days ago, I ran SEVEN miles. I couldn't believe it. It felt wonderful. I am an addict.

A few things really help me. I have learned to eat something at least 30 minutes before a run. Either a Protein Bar or a banana. It really helps with energy. Hydration is also very important. Before, during, and after. They make lots of accessories to help with this. Belts or hand straps to hold your water bottle.

Most importantly, have a plan. I do my best when the day or night before I decide where I'm gong to run and how long or how far. I don't always make it but I give it my best. Your body always wants to stop. It wants to save it's energy so running becomes a lot of mind over matter. Get in the zone.

Don't forget safety. Run in a well populated area. If you're going to be at a park where you may find yourself alone at times, take a pepper spray somewhere on your person.

Try it for a while. Pick a 5K this spring to enter so you have a goal to focus on. And last, running isn't for everyone. If you continue to hate it, or it's too hard on your body, definitely do something else

I love running but I started out with slow walking and worked my way up to jogging a hundred yards, then walked, repeat. Eventually I was running a mile or more before I got injured and had to temporarily stop. I think you're asking for a injury if you are starting out running a mile and your body not in shape or ready for it. Try slowing it down a bit, read some running magazine s and talk to other runners / trainers etc.. Running helped keep my weight down and I loved the mental aspect of it too. One of my goals with WLS was to be able to call my self a runner. Im temporarily out of running ( heel injury ) , but I worked very hard , and Im still proud to call myself a runner. It means alot to me. Hope all goes well for you !

I have joint disease so running is not a good thing for me. I swim laps and do aqua exercises. That might be an option for you as well. Much much easier on your joints because of the Water obviously but still building muscle and strength because of the resistance.

I wish I had a public pool near me! Sounds refreshing. I think I will just slow it down and build up to something comfortable. As I am still sore in spots I didn't think I could be lol.

Thank you everyone for all your help, this I why I seek guidance here, you all speak from experience :)

I wish I had a public pool near me! Sounds refreshing. I think I will just slow it down and build up to something comfortable. As I am still sore in spots I didn't think I could be lol.

Thank you everyone for all your help, this I why I seek guidance here, you all speak from experience :)

Do you have a gym or a Y near you? That's where I go. The Y is cheaper than the gym. It's not fancy but it works just fine for me. Plus I wound up making friends there as well which is always a really nice bonus.

The Couch to 5k app is wonderful! Love it. I've been on week 2 for a few weeks.. lol. I used it before and got to running a 5k years ago.. so yes, it gets easier, and its the hardest thing for me to do regarding cardio.. meaning, my heart rate gets higher.. and you rarely see a fat consistent runner..

if you were able to run a whole 5k, I'd encourage you to keep running, btw.. just slow your roll.