Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, for all of us who are nearing our January surgery dates, what are your worries? What is your excitement?

I am worried about the 2 week pre op diet honestly. I am worried about failing during that. I am so excited about my surgery tho, Jan 12 :-)

I am scheduled for surgery on January 19 and am so ready to get skinny and healthy. I am not scared or nervous as of yet but that could change as it gets closer. I start the 2 week pre op diet on January 5 that may me a little tough..but the end result will be awesome

My surgery date is January 6. I am super excited but I am so worried that I can't make the needed changes for this lifestyle. I have never been able to stick to any other diet so why won't this be different? I think that, then I pick myself up and remind myself that I need to be healthy for myself and my kids and I remind myself that I can do this. So, yes, I am nervous that I will fail as that is all I have done in regards to my weight these past fifteen years but I also know that I have accomplished more than I have failed at in everything else so I CAN DO THIS. I WILL DO THIS!!

For me I worry about the surgery itself. I am scared I won't wake up. I don't have a good reason for this, just fear itself. I am so looking forward to next summer and not being fat. It will be awesome to shop in a regular store.

My date is Jan 13 and I am worried about the pre-op diet. Worried that I won't make it but I am so determined to do the best I can

We will all the best we can. We will all have hiccups along the way.

I too, had thoughts of not waking up. This really scares me more for my kids then it does me. I was reading another thread and they recommended getting your affairs in order, make a will, etc. before you go into surgery. Just in case the worse happens. But it won't....we are all going to have surgery and get healthy and next summer we can show off our new photos!!!

My surgery date is January 7th and iam very excited to get started on a healthier me.

Yesterday afternoon, I scheduled my surgery for January 6. It's been more than a year leading up to this, and all of a sudden things are getting very real.

My concerns:

1) Recovery time. The magic google machine says I should expect to go back to work in 2-3 weeks. My surgeon's office says 6-8 weeks. That's a big difference. I am probably starting a new job (at my same company) on January 1 and I hate to leave them for 2 months immediately after accepting the position, but I really want to focus on new habits and getting healthy and I only have one shot to get it right the first time, so I'm worried. You can tell when I'm worried because my sentences run on and on and on.

2) What if I fail? Since I've failed at every other attempt to lose weight over the past 30+ years, why should this be any different? My need to be fat seems to be very persistent across time and space and circumstance. What if I can't beat it?

3) Who do I tell? I tend to be an open book - sometimes a bit too open - so it would be consistent with my personality to tell everyone everywhere what I'm doing. But I feel very fragile about this topic and am trying to be a bit more reserved in general so maybe I should just keep this to myself until I can't anymore.

4) I blame my weight for a lot of things, from petty disappointments to major issues, but what if my live is not magically better when I'm smaller and I have to deal with my actual limitations and not just knee-jerk blame my size? That'll be a good thing in the end, but could make for some rough adjustments.

My excitement is:

1) My health is going to improve! I have no critical issues, but lots of things that could go bad quickly, and this should address all of them.

2) I'm going to be able to travel and be active and move my body the way I want to. I can't wait to have a body that obeys my wishes.

That's enough for me for now. Geez, ramble much?

Edited by anaxila

@@anaxila I just wanted to tell you that I really loved your post - you eloquently put many of our collective concerns/fears into writing :o) thanks!

Anaxila...My doc says 4 weeks and this is non negotiable which really is a drag. He says two weeks to heal and two weeks to learn to eat. Apparently, it is like starting over as a baby! Anyway, thanks for sharing about your fears and excitement. Part of me worries that it still wont happen and the other part can't wait!

Anaxila! Are you in my head?? You pretty much said everything that I am feeling. And we are having surgery the same day....hum.....are you me? Just kidding. Seriously though that was awesome what you wrote. Thank you!

@@anaxila,

We are going through the same thing sorta about employment, well maybe. I'm one of 2 final candidates for a new position (same employer, different site). Offers will be made next week. I'm going to have to tell them that my surgery is scheduled 1/15, it is somewhat flexible, but I've gotten my heart, mind set on the date. My pre-op diet would start 1/1. Anyways, if I get the position I want to be flexible but also consider how much work I've done in preparation and I can only take 2 weeks off. With a new job, that's all I feel comfortable with.

I'm nervous about a general anesthetic. Never had one. My daughter had her tonsils out and got a general only for 30 minutes, tho. No problem. I think was a little freaky for her. She was so brave, so mommy has to be brave too! LOL...both my parents have done well with generals, so not likely to be an issue...

I'm excited to be off BP meds, wear new cute clothes, feel comfortable in swimsuit and swim in my pool.

@@jblkmom, yes I am secretly you. You have had a psychotic break and established an entirely separate identity as a llama. Muahahahahahaaaaa!

My surgery date is 1-28 and I'm really worried that it won't work, that I will have gone through all the hard work and frustrating ups and downs just to have the rny not work for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm just destined to be fat (big sigh)