Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GAINING weight first week post-op? What's happening?

STARTING WEIGHT (256.6)

I went on a 10 day pre-op diet with which I lost 16 pounds. My 5th day post op I had reached 28 pounds lost. On the 26th I had gone back to 236 pounds. My coordinator with whom I still speak with has told me that it can be excess Water. I'm in my second week post op. What should I be drinking/doing to see some significant weight loss?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Follow your plan and what your team has instructed you to do. What you should do right now is just focus on recovering. You just had surgery and your body has gone through a lot of trauma. Everything will even out. Don't stress, stay off the scale, drink your fluids, Protein ect... You will be just fine!

I'm 14 days post-op and my scale has been bouncing up and down a bit, but I know that it's bloat due to my upcoming menstrual cycle.

Just keep following the rules and hang in there. Your body is still in freak out mode.

Your body has been traumatized and pumped with bags of IV fluids. Focus on following your post-op nutrition guidelines and begin taking short walks a couple of times per day. It will take many days for your body to dump all of that Fluid. Don't torment yourself, stay off of that scale!

Dont worry about numbers. I know thats easier said than done. You should start to notice clothes getting baggier and moving around is easier. The scale will go up and down. If you have a $hitty scale it may depend how you stand on it. They weight will come off. Stick to your nutritionists plan.

It'll come off! Your body is adjusting. I didn't lose any weight my first week po.

I agree with everyone. I didn't lose weight when I first came home. It took a good week to ten days before the weight started coming off. You have Fluid from the IVs which is normal. Same thing happened to me after my hysterectomy. Give it time, and focus on recovery. You will be amazed how your body will start to melt the fat away. Take care!

Yep, these posters are absolutely correct. I gained 5 pounds in the hospital from IV's and bloating. Took a week for the

gas and bloating and IV Fluid to dissipate. Now, at 18 days post, I have lost 24 pounds. It WILL happen.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches