Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This pre-op diet is so hard i fail everyday

Well the subject says it all everyday I eat a meal because I can't go all day on liquids. I feel like a failure. My dr told me it will be easier after because my stomach will be so small that I won't be as hungry and not to kick myself too much but I can't help me :( majority of the day I have what I'm suppose to it's just one meal I need to eat. Am I screwed? Writing this I want to cry :( I have been battling to get this for 4 years and I can't even handle the damn pre op diet.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Well the subject says it all everyday I eat a meal because I can't go all day on liquids. I feel like a failure. My dr told me it will be easier after because my stomach will be so small that I won't be as hungry and not to kick myself too much but I can't help me :( majority of the day I have what I'm suppose to it's just one meal I need to eat. Am I screwed? Writing this I want to cry :( I have been battling to get this for 4 years and I can't even handle the damn pre op diet.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I know that this journey is not easy at all. Anything that we pray so long for that come easy is always a bonus, but if there is work just to accomplish the goal, know there is a huge blessing attached. Forgive yourself. If it was so easy you wouldn't even need the surgery. We wouldn't need it. I have made so many mistakes in my weight loss journey, and I will continue. We have to stop setting ourselves up to be perfect, cause we aren't. I'm glad that you are able to openly talk about it. It's the first step in the freedom that comes with our weight loss.

IMO, pre-op diets are pretty pointless unless there's a medical necessity (fatty liver, etc.). I do think you should put your best effort into following the diet because your surgeon did ask you to do it (for whatever reason), but don't beat yourself up if you have trouble with it. :)

IMO, pre-op diets are pretty pointless unless there's a medical necessity (fatty liver, etc.). I do think you should put your best effort into following the diet because your surgeon did ask you to do it (for whatever reason), but don't beat yourself up if you have trouble with it. :)

I agree. My dr didn't require any pre op diet for my lapband in 2009. Told me to eat a lite dinner the nite before. Before my sleeve revision last year, I was told to do full liquids the day before surgery and clears after 6 pm the nite before. 24 hrs isn't too bad.

I never had a ct scan of my liver before either of my surgeries. So unless ur dr can tell if u have a fatty liver thru blood tests (and they can), I had no fatty liver to deal with. Not sure if he requires a pre op diet if ur liver enzymes come back hi or not.

If ur dr knows about ur meal and s/he's ok with it, then I don't see a problem. Just keep it healthy. No McD's! Lol

I'm on my pre-op diet right now too and it definitely SUCKS. I'm allowed three Protein Shakes per day (with specific nutritional requirements), one green salad with calorie free dressing, and sugar-free Jello and popsicles for Snacks. I'm on my 5th day and I've stuck to it, but it has not been fun. It's especially hard because I was told to keep up my exercise routine and I have NO energy. I'm never actually hungry now. I even dread my Protein shakes and salad, but I force them down. I just hate feeling so run down and slightly sick to my stomach all of the time.

This is Day One of my pre-op diet and after one shake(Fusion) and chewing two Vitamins I am so sick to my stomach. I want to vomit. I need to drink another one but don't think I can get it down and keep it down. Maybe it's all the Vitamins upsetting my stomach and I just need to get used to it...anyone else have the same experience? Wonder if I can switch to sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakast? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I just went on this site to say the EXACT same thing - I can not do this pre-op diet and it scares me so much. I don't even have a difficult one - 2 shakes a day, a protein/veggie dinner, and 2 high Protein Snacks if needed. But the shakes me me sick and leave a horrible taste in my mouth all day. I also have a stomach ache off and on and also headaches off and on. I feel like a total failure. I am forcing myself to have one shake in the morning and then having deli meat/cheese for lunch instead of a second shake. Trying to drink a lot of Water - Water with lemon squeezed in has been my go-to. Tomorrow I will try again to get 2 Protein Shakes in. So please don't feel like you are alone!

I had a pre-op diet, but it was not a liquid diet. It was basically Atkins phase one. Lots of Protein, low carb. I took it as permission for me to eat lots of steak. I lost 18lbs on it. Wasn't really trying. My surgeon didn't have any difficulties getting up under my liver (and no one who uses my hospital has to have a liquid diet). So it must work.

Yes, the pre-op diet is hard, but the closer you get to the end, the easier it becomes. Hang in there! You'll be relieved to know you can go into surgery knowing you followed all of the directions to begin your journey to success.

Wonder if I can switch to sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakast? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I don';t think Carnation has enough Protein. I'm not sure what your guidelines are, but my nutritionist told me a minimum of 20 grams of Protein per shake. There are lots of different brands out there, so you may like the taste of some more than others. I personally have five different brands on-hand and a bunch of sugar-free syrups to mix with unflavored Protein powder and I am still super sick of the shakes after five days.

The pre-op diet is hard at first, I was on full liquids for 2 weeks and my liver enzymes & levels were normal. But, after surgery the Dr told me my liver was really fatty! So my suggestions to you are stick with it & try & think of what you CAN do after the surgery! You wouldn't want to come this far and have to cancel the surgery because of your liver being to large & you have to be on full liquids after surgery also. Good luck you. Can do it!

I just went on this site to say the EXACT same thing - I can not do this pre-op diet and it scares me so much. I don't even have a difficult one - 2 shakes a day, a protein/veggie dinner, and 2 high Protein Snacks if needed. But the shakes me me sick and leave a horrible taste in my mouth all day. I also have a stomach ache off and on and also headaches off and on. I feel like a total failure. I am forcing myself to have one shake in the morning and then having deli meat/cheese for lunch instead of a second shake. Trying to drink a lot of Water - Water with lemon squeezed in has been my go-to. Tomorrow I will try again to get 2 Protein Shakes in. So please don't feel like you are alone!

One thing I hated about the shakes was the sweetness, all were too sweet, so I got unflavored Protein and flavor it with extracts like vanilla, coconut, rum flavoring. Give it a try, it helped me.

Yes, the pre op diet is terrible and it was the worst part of the process for me . Due to weight gains when close to surgery my Dr made me do a 3-week pre op diet, which was horrific.

Just follow their instructions and it will be worth it in the end. The doctors know what they're doing and this is great way to begin the process of losing lots of weight.

@@vincereautmori Tthat actually sounds good and I have a lot of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored here, will get some extracts today. Thank you!

I didn't have a pre op diet so I can't relate to that but I will say the doctor is right it should be much easier after having more than half your stomach cut out. The biggest thing for me is learning to approach food without guilt and shame. You are giving it an honest effort and thats what counts. Do not set yourself up for failure by seeing this as another diet. This is for the rest of your life and will come with hills and valleys. Good luck!