Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's normal. I know it will grow back. I know it's not that noticeable except to me because I have such thick hair to begin with. But it sucks, it's scary, and it makes me sad.

At three months post banding my hair began to come out and at four months it's coming out by the handful. I disagree with people who blame it on Protein. I get my protein every day and always have. Carnivore here. I also disagree with the losing weight too quickly theory. My loss rate isn't fast enough to cause Hair loss. I tend to believe that it is indeed the hair follicles' reaction to surgery and/or anesthesia.

But, whatever the cause, it unnerves me. I tend to take after my mother medically. I developed arthritis at the same age she did. She lost her hair twice after reacting to going off and on a certain rheumatoid arthritis drug. The second time it never grew back. She used to have thick, full hair like me. Now she is bald and even lost her eyebrows. Two years later she has no sign of regrowth. So I wonder if my hair will come back. I don't take the same arthritis drug she does, but the worry is there.

Anyway, just feeling a little down about it today. On the plus side, I had a few inches of length trimmed off a couple of weeks ago, and the shorter style combined with the thinning hair makes for a cooler summer "do".

Edited by JustWatchMe

I know it's normal. I know it will grow back. I know it's not that noticeable except to me because I have such thick hair to begin with. But it sucks, it's scary, and it makes me sad.

At three months post banding my hair began to come out and at four months it's coming out by the handful. I disagree with people who blame it on Protein. I get my Protein every day and always have. Carnivore here. I also disagree with the losing weight too quickly theory. My loss rate isn't fast enough to cause Hair loss. I tend to believe that it is indeed the hair follicles' reaction to surgery and/or anesthesia.

But, whatever the cause, it unnerves me. I tend to take after my mother medically. I developed arthritis at the same age she did. She lost her hair twice after reacting to going off and on a certain rheumatoid arthritis drug. The second time it never grew back. She used to have thick, full hair like me. Now she is bald and even lost her eyebrows. Two years later she has no sign of regrowth. So I wonder if my hair will come back. I don't take the same arthritis drug she does, but the worry is there.

Anyway, just feeling a little down about it today. On the plus side, I had a few inches of length trimmed off a couple of weeks ago, and the shorter style combined with the thinning hair makes for a cooler summer "do".

I am having the same issue! Last week my hair dresser told me to get a "SUPER B" Vitamin. Her mom was told to take it after surgery and she said with in a month she started to look like a Chia pet...lol......I also have long thick hair and at about 3 months out, it was coming out in clumps in the shower! I started taking the super B Vitamins 1 week ago and I can already tell a little difference. Less is falling out. And I agree with the anesthesia thing because I lost 25 lbs the 1st 6 weeks but it almost stopped since then. Good luck to you!

We are not turning into our mothersI I have friends that worry about various characteristics as we get older but of course there are so many factors. In your mom's case that nasty RA medication. I'm so sorry about that.

I had the 3-4 months out hair loss as well and it has stopped now. Also not noticeable to any one else but of course worrisome. I do think it is about the anesthesia; that just makes so much sense. And I take Biotin which may just be a placebo for me but the fingernails, wow!

Hope you have a great Friday and weekend. You're doing beautifully and you are beautiful. Just keep on keeping on and throw your shoulders back, hold your head up high and remember how amazing you are.

I was banded last September. In March/April this year, my hair started coming out in clumps...it was the scariest thing. But...it has stopped. And, it's growing back. I have these two clumps of hair in the front that stick straight up everyday! Normally this would infuritate me. Now, I wear those little tufts like I won a major award :)

My hair will never be as thick as it was when I was in my 30s. It changed in my early 40s even before I considered surgery. But I am getting back to my new normal.

Keep up the good work, friend :)

I was also banded in March this year. In June my hair started coming out. I got the Nioxin Shampoo and am taking Biotin and that seems to be helping. You will get through this and you are doing awesome!

Thanks, everyone. I'm taking my daughters on a weekend getaway this weekend that we all need. Our summer has been way too stressful and it's time to decompress before they head back to college. Some hiking and horseback riding and shopping and pampering are in order. Maybe I'll get my hair styled in the resort salon. My younger daughter always wants me to have it straightened. Thanks for the emotional boost. Love this board.

Me too! I've started using the Nioxin 3 part system, it is slowing it down

At three months post banding my hair began to come out and at four months it's coming out by the handful. I disagree with people who blame it on Protein. I get my Protein every day and always have. Carnivore here. I also disagree with the losing weight too quickly theory. My loss rate isn't fast enough to cause Hair loss. I tend to believe that it is indeed the hair follicles' reaction to surgery and/or anesthesia.

The hair loss post WLS is horrifying. And perfectly normal. It happens to the vast majority of us. It is a combination of stress from surgery, the drugs we are given, and the change in our body and the different nutrients levels and the weight loss. Our bodies send the nutrients we do get to the vital functions, brain, organs, the making of blood and so on and our "vanity functions" like our skin and hair suffer because of it. The good news is, the shedding does stop. It just takes time, then time for the hair to grow back.

When I started this process, last June, I has *ss length, THICK hair. I knew that I was going to suffer hair loss post op so in September, last year I had about ten inches chopped, just to bra strap length. My hair re grew and was nearly waist length by the time I had my surgery in November. (I have a short distance from bra band to waist... Prodigious rack, here. ;) ) But January, I was noticing heavier than normal hair fall and started to lose small clumps of hair. By February, it was coming out in hanks. Between pre wash brushing, the hair I lost in the shower and post wash comb out, I would lose a ball of hair the size of a shower pouff. It was terrifying and every time I washed my hair, I'd sit and look at that huge ball of hair and cry.

I finally reached the point where I couldn't deal with so much hair loss and my waist length hair, any longer. It was too demoralizing to watch my braid and bun get smaller and smaller and my length to get thinner and thinner and in March, I had my stylist chop my hair at shoulder length and put in a few layers. I cried as she cut it so short and it was so thin (relatively speaking, to most people, my hair looks perfectly normal or even "thick" but I know the difference) that I half wanted to get a wig and hide my hair. :lol:

My hair finally stopped shedding in early June. It is as if a switch was flipped and it was just normal shedding, once again. I am getting new growth and I am keeping my hair short until my thickness catches up then I will grow my hair, again. At heart, I am a long hair and I WANT MY HAIR BACK! But it's going to take time.

I wouldn't trade getting my band, I don't regret it, even tho losing so much hair was hard to live through. The trade off, for me has been worth it. :)

I have thin, straight, baby fine hair, colored , a bit dry and just past my shoulders. I was concerned about Hair loss, but never lost any ! This past year I've started using Joico Shampoo and conditioner. WOW ! What a difference in a month ! My hair went from dry and difficult , to soft and shiny. This may not stop your hair loss, but it sure makes the hair you do have look really nice. Glad my hairdresser reccommended it ! ( sold at salons and sometimes T.J. Maxx or Big Lots etc.

I have thin, straight, baby fine hair, colored , a bit dry and just past my shoulders. I was concerned about Hair loss, but never lost any ! This past year I've started using Joico Shampoo and conditioner. WOW ! What a difference in a month ! My hair went from dry and difficult , to soft and shiny. This may not stop your hair loss, but it sure makes the hair you do have look really nice. Glad my hairdresser reccommended it ! ( sold at salons and sometimes T.J. Maxx or Big Lots etc.

You are so lucky that you didn't have the Horror Show Shed! :lol:

I like Joico. I get the Protein reconstructor for deep treatments for my "assisted blonde" ;) hair and it just eats up the Protein and feels so good after a treatment. I should try the shampoo and conditioner, too. Right now, I am into Alterna. It is spendy but I love it. Their styling products rock as hard as their shampoo and conditioner. I don't even want to think about how much I spend on hair products, now. :lol: :blush:

I usually dont spend much on hair products, I just assumed drug store items were fine. WRONG !!! Besides the Joico products, I alternate with Jessica Alba's ( yes, the actress) Shampoo / body wash and Tresemme Nourishing Rituals liquid gold therapy. My. hair . turned. into. silk. No joke .

Are you guys taking your daily Biotin? My nutritionist told I had to take it I take 10,000 mg a day also I use an italian drops called KUZ TRATTAMENTO CONTROLLO CADUTA (hair loss control treatment) just a couple of drops in the scalp three times a week or more if you want, a little massage and so far so good. It is good for men too.

I am so afraid of losing my hair. I already have thin hair and losing any of it will result in noticeable bald spots. I think that's a big part of why I have not tried to have this surgery sooner. I have come to terms that I will just have to deal and figure it out when/if the time comes instead of letting the fear hold me back.

I started taking Biotin 2 weeks ago and I am hoping it will help.