Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When people ask, do you tell them about WLS?

When out for a walk, or I run into folks I know, but haven't seen recently, I get asked how I am loosing weight. I have been honest, and tell them that I had a gastric bypass, to help me get healthy. Do most folks open up like that, or are you more guarded with your answers?

It's such a personal choice...as I am sure you will hear from responses that follow... for me, I tell people, and educate them if necessary...but even tho I'm not a very open person, I feel that some people really need to know the facts...

I tell people diet, exercise and surgery because for me it truly was a combination of the three.

Not many people know that I've had WLS... A lot of people have been asking recently how I'm loosing weight, but I tell half the truth, which is I've changed my eating habits and started working out and running... Which is all true. My issue is with judgmental people. I made the mistake of telling someone and their immediate response was like "you don't look heavy enough to have that surgery". Well at 5'2" and weighing a total of 2 people my body felt and looked like it was time to do something for my health. People think that WLS is taking "the easy way out", which couldn't be farther from the truth. Long story short... I tell selected few people that I've had WLS.

I don't go out of my way to bring it up but I tell anyone who asks. I've been fortunate to not have received any negative feedback but it wouldn't make any difference. I suppose it's possible that could be one reason why no one has shared any negative thoughts with me but I think those folks, if any, would be very much in the minority. Most folks run the gamut from very supportive to curious about my experience to interested in all of the details. All are more than welcome to whatever information I can provide.

I was kind of debating with this the other day. If someone directly asks how I lost weight, I'll tell them. But if they just comment on my weight loss or ask how much I've lost I don't. I might say something like "oh I've been going to the gym a lot and trying to eat healthier."

I'm FINALLY post op and I'm going to be open to telling people if they really express interest. If someone says "wow, you've lost weight" I'll just say 'thanks'. I think if they casually ask "how did you do it" I'm going to say something like "good clean living, exercise and healthy food". But if they look really interested I'll tell them through surgery, high Protein diet and exercise.

I feel like when I have an experience in life (like suffering from depression), it's kind of my job to be a hope for people who are struggling with the same thing -- so they see someone can come through it and be successful.

Just my opinion -- I know others' vary.

Not many people know that I've had WLS... A lot of people have been asking recently how I'm loosing weight, but I tell half the truth, which is I've changed my eating habits and started working out and running... Which is all true. My issue is with judgmental people. I made the mistake of telling someone and their immediate response was like "you don't look heavy enough to have that surgery". Well at 5'2" and weighing a total of 2 people my body felt and looked like it was time to do something for my health. People think that WLS is taking "the easy way out", which couldn't be farther from the truth. Long story short... I tell selected few people that I've had WLS.

I had the exact same reaction when telling a friend. I feel like this is a very personal decision, and have decided that I will just tell people I'm making major lifestyle changes. I'm six days post-op, so we'll see how that answer works soon! :)

I am not planning on telling people I had WLS. I feel I may get that reaction of taking the easy way out, and I am finding on my 6th day out of surgery, this is not the easy way out. I will tell people that a very healthy diet, high in Protein and exercise is how I'm losing my weight.

I told my family and a very few friends before, and shortly after the surgery. I am out 4 months now and have lost 75lbs. When people ask how I lost the weight, I do tell them about my WLS. If they just comment on my weight loss, I say "Thank You". I agree with Ginger Snaps...if they want to know how, because they have their own weight loss decision to make, I will be open. I am very open about my use of anti-depressants as well, because I believe if my honesty will help someone else I should share.

I am 3 days out and it is "not an easy way out" I tell people it is the hardest thing I have ever done but "easy" was not what I was thinking when I chose to improve my life.

Before only my husband knew and we informed the kids the night before. I did this because I did not want to hear about anyone cousins sister-in-laws neighbors daughter who had a complication or gained it all back or now looks "gaunt" etc. I had done my research, was ready, and didn't need that type of "support"'

After about 3 weeks I told close relatives and over time I told select co workers if we talked about weight loss as my success and food choices became more obvious and if it fit well in a conversation.

Now I tell people when they have not seen me in a while and they don't recognize me!

Every body has been real supportive as I expanded those in the know. I do occasionally get the "are you done yet or you look too skinny" from the people who would have given the backhanded support if I let them know before the surgery so that reinforces that I made the right decision.

I don't feel it is my job to educate others on it or to be the poster child for it but if people are genuinely interested I will give them the info I have.

So I guess my philosophy is a "need to know" basis only and expand that circle as it is comfortable for you. Only you know your relatives and friends best so do what's best in relation to that knowledge.

I plan on keeping my bypass to myself and husband. I am not even telling the kids. I need to keep my head clear and my eye on the ball. This is high stakes game right now. Emotionally, I don't think I can handle everyone's reactions, feelings and questions. I have spent my entire life giving but not taking care of myself in part because everyone's needs always seemed more important then mine. This time, I am taking care of ME. I may feel differently down the road.

I have 3 kids and as of last night all know that I'm planning on having WLS. My 27 yo daughter currently lives at home while back in college and has known from the beginning. She's a little apprehensive but very supportive. My 34 yo daughter had a lot of questions but was very neutral on things. My 24 yo son came straight out and told me how proud he was of me for making this decision. He was full of questions and very excited for me. However, my husband doesn't want his side of the family told unless they out right ask if I have had surgery. If they do, I'm not going to lie. If they ask how I'm losing, I'll tell them that I'm working with my doctors on diet and exercise. Which is true now and will still be true after I have my gastric bypass.

When I had my LAP band in Jan 2004, I told very, very few people. I didn't want to deal with comments, questions, or judgments. I revised to RNY 16 days ago and I am telling anyone who asks. It is just so much easier than trying to be coy and making stuff up. I lived like that for 10+ years when I had to go puke in a restaurant bathroom, etc. and it is just way more freeing to not have to do that. That being said, I'm not going to post about it on Facebook....I don't really want every fringe acquaintance to know. Maybe I'll feel differently once I am at goal.