Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op nurse called me to old for surgery and made me nervous!

I everyone I have about 30 hours and I will be sleeved. I was not nervous until today with my pre-op nurse. She ask my age and I told her and she said your old. I am only 45. I waiting and said you just called me old she said yea for this surgery you are. Now I am scared for this surgery and debating on canceling tomorrow.

WTF? I am 53. Honey, you are NOT too old. There are lots of successful people on here into their 60's. You can do it, and I bet you rock that sleeve. That nurse is ignorant.

You are not old! And you are certainly not to old for this surgery...in my endeavor to get bariatric surgery I had to go through a 6 month process. An entire group of us started at the same time. About 60 people...at 37 I was one of the youngest in the bunch. Those who fell between 40-50 were the largest group by far. About 90% female. I have kept in touch with some of the gals and none have said it was a problem with there surgeons. I actually met someone in there 70's who did it. I'm sure there will be others posting after me that will encourage you and assure you that you are not to old! Best of luck to you!

Hi, I will be 59 when I have my surgery done, hopefully early August. I am so looking forward to it and to having a new healthy me. You got yourself a bitter, ignorant nurse so don't give her any thought. I had one of those nurses 37 years ago when I had my first baby. She was a preemie and I only got to hold her about 30 sec. Before they whisked her away. Later the nurse on duty told me my baby wasn't doing well because of how selfish I was to want to hold her..all of 30 sec. Well, I felt so miserable for years about that. My daughter not only survivor end but thrived because of all the love and care we gave her. It took me years upon years to realize there was something wrong with that nurse and not me, just because I loved my baby and wanted to see her precious little face and touch her beautiful little body before they took her.

Don't let your nurse do that to you!!! You are NOT to old to have this surgery. You are Not to old to take charge of your life. You are NOT too old to get healthy and enjoy each and every one of your new you days!!!

So get in there, get the surgery and if you see that nurse again tell her to "F" off cause she is a terrible person.

You will do great!!! (Sorry so long, but the nurses comment to you really hit a cord).

That wasn't nice for her to say being in the medical profession. It also shows her ignorance. She shouldn't be saying such things. She needs to be reported. Imagine other people she has said that to and cancelled their surgery .

As a 29 year old nurse, allow me to apologize for her ignorance. You are not too old for ANYTHING! What a moron. I hope you tell someone at the hospital about your call. She was unprofessional and just plain rude. You are stressed enough about surgery. You don't need some idiot calling you too old to add to that stress. She needs to be reprimanded for her actions.

Good luck with your surgery! You will be fine.

I agree, you should report that nurse! It's none of her concern or business. Your doctor very well knows your age. If he or she did not mention it to you than I am sure that meant that everything is ok for surgery. How dare that nurse comment and scare you. Please don't worry and ask your doc what he thinks.

Don't let the callous words on one nurse talk you out of one of the best things you could do for yourself. I would also mention it to your doctor or patient coordinator. If that is her attitude then she shouldn't be working there. The nurses and everyone else on my doctor's staff have been so amazingly supportive and encouraging. Several of the people in the monthly support group are well into their 50's or 60's. You are most definitely NOT too old for this surgery.

Thank all of you for the reassurance. I have never felt old living by the motto your only as old as you feel. So I took that remark to heart I guess. I have stuck to my pre-op diet 100% as hard as it has been. She really messed up my mind set. But I push and prayed through and am still ready for surgery.

Thank all of you for the reassurance. I have never felt old living by the motto your only as old as you feel. So I took that remark to heart I guess. I have stuck to my pre-op diet 100% as hard as it has been. She really messed up my mind set. But I push and prayed through and am still ready for surgery.

It was clearly a case of misery loves company hun maybe a bit jealous of your courage and strength to be doing something so great for yourself! You keep going girl!

I everyone I have about 30 hours and I will be sleeved. I was not nervous until today with my pre-op nurse. She ask my age and I told her and she said your old. I am only 45. I waiting and said you just called me old she said yea for this surgery you are. Now I am scared for this surgery and debating on canceling tomorrow.

REALLY ?? WOW!!!! - That rude cow is out of line!! I would report her to her boss! We have enough rushing through our heads pre surg!! You don't need to be insulted along the way! Who in the F does she think she is??... People are soo rude & ignorant! ????

Good luck & keep us posted and spare the next person her insults & report her please!!!

That's ridiculous! I'm a nurse, too, and I say you're NOT too old. For one thing, I'm going to have it and I'm also 45! HEHEHE. Remember, there are occasionally rotten people in every profession, and that includes nursing. Personally, I'd report the nurse to the doctor and then go somewhere else for my surgery where I was supported! It'll be okay....

My husband and I are 67, sleeved 5 months, and HAPPY! LOL.

FIRST, I hope you let the Surgeon know....Without you.. she would be out of a JOB!!! i'M 60YRS OLD, AND i was just sleeved in Feb.. Let us know what the Doc said after you told him..... Good Luck.....JewelJ

Don't let that nurse intimidate you. I am having my surgery May 5th, a month before my 61st birthday. Your doctor is the one who is responsible to know if you are OK to have surgery. Isn't that why they make you have all those tests and make sure you're healthy both physically & mentally. If you are nervous, just call your doctor for a little reassurance. Tell him what the nurse said and how she made you feel. Is it possible that you are nervous? Speak to your doctor and express your concerns.