Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my first visit to the grocery store...this is way harder than I though it would be

I was just sleeved on Monday and I'm wondering if I can do this...yesterday I started to have hunger pains and I just drank Water and broth, but I thought I wouldn't feel hungry for weeks or months! So today I was alone and feeling a bit better (stopped taking pain meds!) so I went to the grocery store to pick up some items for my son. It's just me and my 15 year old, who is very supportive but relies on mom for everything food related. Anyway, I picked up broth for me and some of his favorite items he can prepare himself. It was so hard! I was really hungry and my stomach was grumbling despite the fact that I had just had broth and water! I put everything away but I am just overwhelmed by how difficult managing my hunger is. My program dictates that I stay on Clear liquids for 2 weeks post op, then 4 weeks of Protein shakes, then 2 weeks full liquids, then on to soft foods. I just can't see myself adhering to this plan.

I guess my questions are...have any of you had difficulty early on with hunger? How did you manage? What advice could you give me about being successful at following this plan until I'm on solids? Thanks

sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles help!

Edited by AJ Barefield

Hello, I'm sorry to read you are having a tough time. You were just sleeved a week ago? I was very hungry about 6 days post op and had a mini meltdown. I would have eaten my own hand I was so hungry. I even called my surgeon who told me "hunger is not a complication." It's normal to be hungry, especially when you're on liquids. I was shocked, disappointed, and angry at how hungry I was because no one told me that I would be hungry. The surgery was supposed to eliminate hunger right? It doesn't work that way for everyone. I'm just as hungry now as I was before surgery, I just get full on less food.

Try to be patient with yourself and remember that "this too shall pass." You won't always feel so miserable. I didn't stick to my meal plan because of my hunger and moved to soft foods about 7 days post op. It wasn't a problem for me, I didn't have any trouble keeping foods down and I felt much better finally being able to eat. I'm not suggesting you not follow your doctors orders but remember that you're an individual with individual needs and what works for others might not work for you. Hope you feel better!

Hi. I had the surgery on the 9 th of this month and a friend of mine had it about 3 weeks before me. I have not had issues, but I did not have to be on liquid that long. But, my friend had a lot of issues with hunger and she told her doctor about it and he adjusted her diet. Maybe yours can do that for you as well if you let them know what a hard time you're having. I know every surgeon seems to have a different plan. The first week out of the hospital I could have SF pudding, yogurt, blended Soups, cream of wheat, applsauce and Protein Shakes. And it has worked well for me. It's my second week out of the hospital and I am already starting the mushy stage. So, my point is that maybe they can make an exception for you. Not everyone has it that strict. I'm certainly not saying you should eat those things. But maybe you could. Have you asked them about it yet?

Hey Mokamami! We were sleeved on the same day and although we have had different surgeons it might be worth chatting to your dietician/nutritionist or surgeon about moving onto free fluids. I was clear fluids for two days (broth, Water, like you are now) but then I could have free fluids, wich is basically fluids the consistency of milk (drinking yoghurt, Protein shakes, Soups without meat blended with broth to make them thin and add some instant bene Protein for extra protein in my shakes or juice etc) it's worthwhile asking the question. My Dr said this was to allow me to get the protein my body needs to be healthy at this time. Week two I go to slightly thicker puréed foods then two weeks after that the mushie foods.

We all are different and maybe your body is ready or needs a bit more- I'm only a fellow sleever nit your Dr - but no harm asking.

So glad to hear you are doing so well on the healing side. My head is still a bit emotional about it all but I'm very happy I did it :-)

Early on, you are most likely experiencing gas/acid in your tummy that mimics hunger. It feels just like your stomach is growling. Did your doctor prescribe an antacid/PPI? That could help. It's possible to feel hunger that early but I think it's rare. I didn't really feel hunger until maybe a month out. Even now (2 months out) I sometimes have to remind myself to eat. In my past life I would have loved to have that problem lol! ;) Anyway, hang in there, I know it is tough. I wish I had better advice but that phase honestly sucks, theres no sugar coating it. I loved sugar free Jello and popsicles. The sweet stuff helped me. Good luck!

Hi. I had the surgery on the 9 th of this month and a friend of mine had it about 3 weeks before me. I have not had issues, but I did not have to be on liquid that long. But, my friend had a lot of issues with hunger and she told her doctor about it and he adjusted her diet. Maybe yours can do that for you as well if you let them know what a hard time you're having. I know every surgeon seems to have a different plan. The first week out of the hospital I could have SF pudding, yogurt, blended Soups, cream of wheat, applsauce and Protein shakes. And it has worked well for me. It's my second week out of the hospital and I am already starting the mushy stage. So, my point is that maybe they can make an exception for you. Not everyone has it that strict. I'm certainly not saying you should eat those things. But maybe you could. Have you asked them about it yet?

I see the NUT on Tuesday and the Dr. on Thursday. I will be sure to mention it. Thanks.

Welcome to the ranks of "the not so lucky few" that lose their hunger forever or for a time (like the first year). I lasted 10 days and then my hunger returned. I know what stomach acid feels like (and that wasn't it) and I took Prilosec 2x a day anyway. I thought for sure I'd end up cheating, as I did during my 1st wk following my lapband surgery 4 yrs ago. I had 4 long weeks of liquids (never clear, thank God) then soft for 4 weeks. I was single when I had my lapband surgery so it was much easier to cheat. Plus there wasn't risk of a major problem ie: leak. Everytime I wanted to eat something (just yogurt or something harmless, imo), my husband became the food Nazi. I knew he would tattle on me when I had my 4 weeks post op visit.

So I did stick it out. Not sure how ull get thru on Clear Liquids, I thought I was starving with cream Soups and Protein shakes. Hats off to u tho.

Drink lots of broth - warm fills u up more than cold. R u allowed to use unflavored Protein powder? That may help fill u up a little if u can use it.

I feel for u. Truly. Longest 4 weeks of my life. Good luck. And don't risk getting a leak just to chew something, please. Read the complications forums about the few people that gets leaks. My dr said most are caused by people advancing their diet too quikly. Convinced me enuf...

I feel for u. Truly. Longest 4 weeks of my life. Good luck. And don't risk getting a leak just to chew something, please. Read the complications forums about the few people that gets leaks. My dr said most are caused by people advancing their diet too quikly. Convinced me enuf...

This is interesting because my surgeon told me that most leaks happened within 5 days of surgery and were never the fault of the patient but of the surgeon. It's bizarre how everyone gets different information for the same procedure. This is why I think the diet rules are a bit arbitrary as they seem to be vastly different for everyone. Same procedure, rules should be the same.

Thank you all for the support. I contacted my nurse program director about my hunger and was told to drink Water. I also tried to bring up my frustration with the nutritionist and was told to talk to my doctor, which I attempted to. I told him of my mental dullness as well (I'm a therapist and I was finding myself searching for words at times during session... I don't know if that has anything to do with my diet). My Dr. was more concerned with my blood pressure, which is at an all time high! I was shocked and worried about how high it is and I take my meds. I was so worried about it, and my doctor told me just to keep taking the meds and ignored my other concerns. I was really frustrated and scared. When I bumped into my nurse program director he told me that it is very difficult to get an accurate blood pressure because of your size". He told me I was probably suffering from "white coat syndrome' which elevated my blood pressure. I have never experienced that in the past. Basically, no one I contacted took much heed to how I was feeling. Don't get me wrong, I think my team is fantastic and awesome, but the one size fits all dietary regimen wasn't working for me and now I was cared and worried about my blood pressure.

Well, I did the worst thing I could possibly do. I snuck 4 or 5 Hershey kisses. I felt horrible mentally and physically. Mentally, I felt like a failure and physically I felt a sugar rush that made my head hurt, but tummy was fine. I was shocked that I didn't get physically ill just didn't like all that sugar. So instead of beating myself up, binging, or crying about it (like I always did before surgery) I decided to get proactive. I researched 10 different programs dietary guidelines for the gastric sleeve and decided to follow the most common dietary guidelines, which was full liquids for the next two weeks. (I'm supposed to still be on clear liquids...not even Protein shakes until next week). I had a fat free yogurt and now I feel, dare I say it, normal?

I know my choice may not be one that people agree with, and that's ok. I know I cheated on the diet and that may be a sign that I will not reach my goal or be noncompliant in a way that will undermine my efforts, I will deal with that and work to better myself and attain my goal. But I'm just trying to break my old patterns and own up to my struggles. This has been so hard, but I'm hoping I can make it.

I am in the same boat. For the first few days I didn't feel hungry at all (probably because I was in so much pain), but after it faded, I started feeling hungry. I've read so much about people not being hungry after surgery until much later, so I was really bummed.

Then I was bad and advanced my diet a couple of days early. Mine goes Clear liquids for a week after, then full liquid two weeks after, then soft foods at three weeks, then regular foods after a month. I had some Tomato Soup on the 5th day after because I just could NOT stomach any more Jello or broth after choking it down for almost two weeks prior. Let me tell you, that Tomato Soup was probably the BEST thing I've ever eaten.

Don't beat yourself up too much over the candy. We all have moments of weakness. I just find it crappy that your doctor and nutritionist aren't listening to you. They want to fit us all into these pegs. Not everyone fits into the same shape!

I also don't understand that if the procedure is the same, why does every surgeon have a different diet? It's the same with the pre-op diet. I would try talking to your surgeon/nutritionist again, if nothing else because you're paying them to listen. I emailed my nutritionist on Monday and never got a response so I sent the email again. If she doesn't answer this time, I'm going to call and be VERY unhappy.

I know a lot of people say you should do whatever your surgeon/nutritionist says, but I think sometimes our bodies tell us to do something else and we need to listen and at least consider what it's saying.

I am in the same boat. For the first few days I didn't feel hungry at all (probably because I was in so much pain), but after it faded, I started feeling hungry. I've read so much about people not being hungry after surgery until much later, so I was really bummed.

Then I was bad and advanced my diet a couple of days early. Mine goes clear liquids for a week after, then full liquid two weeks after, then soft foods at three weeks, then regular foods after a month. I had some Tomato Soup on the 5th day after because I just could NOT stomach any more Jello or broth after choking it down for almost two weeks prior. Let me tell you, that Tomato Soup was probably the BEST thing I've ever eaten.

Don't beat yourself up too much over the candy. We all have moments of weakness. I just find it crappy that your doctor and nutritionist aren't listening to you. They want to fit us all into these pegs. Not everyone fits into the same shape!

I also don't understand that if the procedure is the same, why does every surgeon have a different diet? It's the same with the pre-op diet. I would try talking to your surgeon/nutritionist again, if nothing else because you're paying them to listen. I emailed my nutritionist on Monday and never got a response so I sent the email again. If she doesn't answer this time, I'm going to call and be VERY unhappy.

I know a lot of people say you should do whatever your surgeon/nutritionist says, but I think sometimes our bodies tell us to do something else and we need to listen and at least consider what it's saying.

Amen, Melodica! I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have found just sipping fluids constantly keeps me from the hunger pains. I have only been able to drink flavored water and Protein Shakes. Anything else I get pain with it going down but if I constantly sip on something I'm ok. Hope you feel better!