Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody from mandurah in WA?

Long shot, I know.......but I am going in for surgery in about 4 weeks and would love to meet somebody who has 'been there done that' or a'about to do it' be great!!

Hi Gesined, I'm not in WA but am locked in for sleeving this coming Wednesday in Brisbane..I'm a little nervous about it all but know the longer term benefits will make it all worthwhile.

Hi, I got sleeved on 31st March but am in Wellard-Kwinana not Mandurah.... Where are you having your surgery done and who is your surgeon? I am happy to share my experiences this far if you are interested:)

Good luck

Hiya

I'm getting sleeved on 20th may at The Mount by doctor Padovan. I was so sure to start with, but now am getting the jitters. Please share yummy mummy!

Hi Gesined, I'm not in WA but am locked in for sleeving this coming Wednesday in Brisbane..I'm a little nervous about it all but know the longer term benefits will make it all worthwhile.

Good luck Wal 79. Hope all goes well. Keep us informed!

Do you have any specific info you would like to know...? I had mine done by SJOG Murdoch by Dr Watson coz he had a lesser out of pocket expense and that hospital was the closest to home so my babies could visit n not have a mammoth drive afterwards with daddy n the nanny:) Funny I started this process back in 2009 but at the time had the wrong health cover so had to wait. Then got pregnant in 2010 and again in 2012 so only got back on the wagon end of 2013.... But back then I was considering lap banding and an so glad life made me wait coz the sleeve seems better suited to my lifestyle and I HATE needles so the idea of frequent band fills was giving me nightmares. I like that the sleeve has less post op interference from the surgeon

Plus I was more settled with the idea of having a permanent reduction to my stomach size than the idea of having a foreign object inside me to adjust & control the band!

Anyway, so far it hasn't all been a bed of roses but I lost 7kgs in the first week, and now lose maybe 1-2kg per week. But iv also started trying to do 30mins a day on my treadmill (again purchased in 2009 and being used for the first time now:).

I will warn you though that the post op diet can be difficult to adhere to coz the time before surgery u r eating normal food then immediately afterwards it's a 1-2 week liquid diet, then 2 weeks of puree before you get back to normal food while everyone else in your household continues to eat as normal... It's a mental challenge:) Are you doing any sort of pre-op diet before surgery???

Do you have any specific info you would like to know...? I had mine done by SJOG Murdoch by Dr Watson coz he had a lesser out of pocket expense and that hospital was the closest to home so my babies could visit n not have a mammoth drive afterwards with daddy n the nanny:) Funny I started this process back in 2009 but at the time had the wrong health cover so had to wait. Then got pregnant in 2010 and again in 2012 so only got back on the wagon end of 2013.... But back then I was considering lap banding and an so glad life made me wait coz the sleeve seems better suited to my lifestyle and I HATE needles so the idea of frequent band fills was giving me nightmares. I like that the sleeve has less post op interference from the surgeon Plus I was more settled with the idea of having a permanent reduction to my stomach size than the idea of having a foreign object inside me to adjust & control the band! Anyway, so far it hasn't all been a bed of roses but I lost 7kgs in the first week, and now lose maybe 1-2kg per week. But iv also started trying to do 30mins a day on my treadmill (again purchased in 2009 and being used for the first time now:). I will warn you though that the post op diet can be difficult to adhere to coz the time before surgery u r eating normal food then immediately afterwards it's a 1-2 week liquid diet, then 2 weeks of puree before you get back to normal food while everyone else in your household continues to eat as normal... It's a mental challenge:) Are you doing any sort of pre-op diet before surgery???

Thanks for that great reply! I'm so happy, after having your family, you are now doing this for you. Good job!

No, nothing that I really need to know. But then, 'you don't know what you don't know' as my dear mum used to say :)

I have been waiting and preparing for this for 12 months now, and have done a stack of reading and research. I originally wanted a lap band, but like you, have changed my mind. I wanted something I could 'set and forget', not something I had to update every 6 weeks! Making my stomach smaller, leaves me with the ability to continue eating 'normal' food, just not as much. My sister in law has had the banding, and she is so limited in what she can and can't eat. I don't want my life to be like that.

With the post op diet, did you feel hungry at all? I don't think I will have a problem with the not eating bit, but if I feel hungry I will struggle. On thinking though, I often eat out of boredom. I guess that's what my mental struggle will be.

I'm really scared of failure. I remember standing in line to join weight watchers (for the third time is as many years) and having butterflies because I was so scared of stuffing it up again. Ultimately, I did. I don't want to fail again! I want this VSG to stop me from feeling hungry and to stop me from eating so much.

I'm not aware of any pre op diet. My surgery is on the 20th May, and I see the dietician on the 9th May, so maybe she will start me on one. From what I have read, it makes sense to go on a pre op diet, both to shrink my liver a bit and get the mind set right. Maybe the dietician will tell me to start a pre op diet a week or so before the op?

Great to meet you by the way. I hope we can stay in touch. Nice to speak to someone so close to home.

Well it's the day after for me and I'm up and about with only minor discomfort. Yesterday was a bit tough but the magic morphine button sorted things out for me. I pretty much slept all day and most of the night part from the frequent visits from the nurses. My first couple of sips of Water today have been somewhat interesting with me feeling every drop of it going down but it doesn't hurt so no complaints.

Hi Gisined,

My surgeon said the need for a pre-op diet depends on your starting weight and BMI. I didn't have to do one coz my BMI was under 36.... But you can check with your dietician as well... I just think the surgeon decides if you need the pre-op diet though to shrink your liver...

With eth post op diet its very hard to figure out what sensations are hunger... so I don't know what I was feeling. At times I just drank ( coz you will likely be on a liquid diet for 1-2 weeks) coz it was lunch time or dinner time and so I did not get dehydrated. I am 4 weeks out now and still trying to learn what my body is trying to tell me.. I agree with other posters who say initially you may just succumb to head hunger vs. actual hunger:)

I think given VSG is a permanent adjustment to your portion sizes the likelihood of failure is less but you still need to tr give it your all. Try not to overload on bad foods if you can but a treat once a week I think is ok.. Then you can exercise if you have time or energy but my surgeon said I could join a gym if I really wanted to so long as I remember that it is the reduced portions causing the weight loss not the exercise per say. The exercise may just reduce the excess skin issue if that is a problem for anyone.

And try to stay positive as well. Nothing is unachievable without a bit of effort and if you believe in yourself:)

Edited by YummyMummy101

Well it's the day after for me and I'm up and about with only minor discomfort. Yesterday was a bit tough but the magic morphine button sorted things out for me. I pretty much slept all day and most of the night part from the frequent visits from the nurses. My first couple of sips of Water today have been somewhat interesting with me feeling every drop of it going down but it doesn't hurt so no complaints.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Wal79

Hi Wal. I wish you nothing but the best. Keep in touch and let me know how you are going?

Hi Gisined, My surgeon said the need for a pre-op diet depends on your starting weight and BMI. I didn't have to do one coz my BMI was under 36.... But you can check with your dietician as well... I just think the surgeon decides if you need the pre-op diet though to shrink your liver... With eth post op diet its very hard to figure out what sensations are hunger... so I don't know what I was feeling. At times I just drank ( coz you will likely be on a liquid diet for 1-2 weeks) coz it was lunch time or dinner time and so I did not get dehydrated. I am 4 weeks out now and still trying to learn what my body is trying to tell me.. I agree with other posters who say initially you may just succumb to head hunger vs. actual hunger:) I think given VSG is a permanent adjustment to your portion sizes the likelihood of failure is less but you still need to tr give it your all. Try not to overload on bad foods if you can but a treat once a week I think is ok.. Then you can exercise if you have time or energy but my surgeon said I could join a gym if I really wanted to so long as I remember that it is the reduced portions causing the weight loss not the exercise per say. The exercise may just reduce the excess skin issue if that is a problem for anyone. And try to stay positive as well. Nothing is unachievable without a bit of effort and if you believe in yourself:)

Thanks for those words YummyMummy. I will definitely give it my all. I've tried and failed so many times in the past, that i guess I am expecting to just fail again after the operation.

As you say, I need to stay positive and look forward to the new happier me!

How much weight have you lost now?

I'm just over 4 weeks out and have lost 13kgs.... Before surgery my surgeon n I agreed that losing 20-25kgs would put me at an comfortable weight... Not the ideal though as per BMI (if have to lose 30-40kgs for that); but I'm happy with that goal.... So being halfway there after just the first month is great:)

Edited by YummyMummy101

My stomach n appetite restriction is only now really starting to kick in and I'm surprised by how little I can eat and feel full. Once that happens for you it will stop you from failing this time. Just stay away from high calorie liquids and I'm sure you'll do fine. We can be SOR VSG support buddies n keep each other on track:) I've got a terrible sweet tooth which hasn't gone away or reduced since surgery and I'm really struggling to resist. Used Easter as an excuse to eat loads of chocolate that I'm still finishing off now... So we all do little acts of self sabotage but having a greater awareness that these habits are bad and wanting to change even without the will to fully do so is a step in the right direction I think

Edited by YummyMummy101

Hi YummyMummy101 I am from Rockingham