Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes GONE! A1c is.........

5.2..........I am so freakin happy....now its all worth it!!!!! I will NEVER go back!

I know its an over-share, but I have been touched by an angel....so happy to be one of the lucky ones to eradicate this horrible disease...got it as gestational diabetes when preggers with my twins....my love of sugar did not help...now its GONE....i will keep it that way.

****Yes Felipe you can stay and unpack your bags now***

Shelby - type 2.... No more...

5.2..........I am so freakin happy....now its all worth it!!!!! I will NEVER go back!

Me too! I'm not sure what my a1c is yet but I'm betting it's in range! I no longer have to take insulin or metformin for type 2 diabetrs AND my blood pressure is under control so I don't have to take that pill anymore either! I'm only a week out from surgery! I'm so happy! This may be a tough road at times but it's totally worth it! Congrats my friend! To a new HEALTHY life!

not to burst your bubbles but realize that part of the reason your A1c's are back in the normal range is because you are so soon post op and your diet is not "normal".

I too am diabetic and my first A1c post sleeve was 5.1 I had been off all medication since the day before the surgery. By the second lab test (at 6 months post sleeve) my A1c went up to 6.7 so I started back on Metformin. As you start to eat more regular food your body will again need medication to help manage the glucose metabolism. Granted I am on 1/2 the pre surgery dose and only meformin instead of 2 oral medications, but I am still diabetic so medication is back on the daily routine.

WLS is not a cure for diabetes. Many find they can manage the condition with diet and exercise but with time you will need medication. How much time before medication is needed will depend on factors such as genetics, diet and activity. You can control 2 of the 3 but not all three.

not to burst your bubbles but realize that part of the reason your A1c's are back in the normal range is because you are so soon post op and your diet is not "normal". I too am diabetic and my first A1c post sleeve was 5.1 I had been off all medication since the day before the surgery. By the second lab test (at 6 months post sleeve) my A1c went up to 6.7 so I started back on Metformin. As you start to eat more regular food your body will again need medication to help manage the glucose metabolism. Granted I am on 1/2 the pre surgery dose and only meformin instead of 2 oral medications, but I am still diabetic so medication is back on the daily routine. WLS is not a cure for diabetes. Many find they can manage the condition with diet and exercise but with time you will need medication. How much time before medication is needed will depend on factors such as genetics, diet and activity. You can control 2 of the 3 but not all three.

Hmmmm...my doctor told me I was diabetes free....my doctor specifically said it depends on how many beta cells a person has left....she congratulated me and put it in my chart that I was no longer diabetic. It sounds like your numbers have fluctuated and you are still diabetic. I am not diabetic and I am no longer required to have diabetic check ups or monitor my blood sugar....I'm done with that.

..I don't plan on going back to my old ways but it's true I will be consuming a little more food but not much....I don't want to eat a cup of food at each meal and I control what I choose to eat...I do exercise quite a bit as a lifestyle change and there was no mention of retesting or continuation monitoring.....

The debate of a "cure" for diabetes has been around for a long time....but even the ADA agrees that if you are in a non-diabetic state then the progression of the disease ends for most type 2 patients.

Good feedback, thanks for sharing your experience!

Shel - no more type 2

I know its an over-share, but I have been touched by an angel....so happy to be one of the lucky ones to eradicate this horrible disease...got it as gestational diabetes when preggers with my twins....my love of sugar did not help...now its GONE....i will keep it that way.

****Yes Felipe you can stay and unpack your bags now***

Shelby - type 2.... No more...

Wow! Your diabetes is gone! Whoohoo!

I am a type 2 diabetic 9 months post op..but I am off two meds--insulin and actos pills---now only on METFORMIN Yay!

Ive been a diabetic since I was 20 years old...

My am #'s are usually in the 110 range

in the afternoon Im usually in the 120 range...

The lowest Ive had it post op was 104...so I feel Im having good progress...

I hope and pray one day...I can be like you TYPE @ long gone!!

My A1C is going down slowly...and iM losing my weight slowly too...I do have hypothyroidsm...

But hey having way less meds is a godsend! I feel soooo much better and just each day is better for me!!

So happy I got sleeved!

I would love to know more about your story!

thanks!

take care!

Congratulations! My numbers are coming down too. I have a the Contour USB monitor that has software to plot all the readings, and my average post-op is in the high 120s. I'm thrilled.

I'm taking Lark60's words to heart, though, as I am still on the pureed foods stage, and I wonder what will happen as a move through the process and incorporate more carbs. My hope is that with increased weight loss, consistent exercise and spot-on nutrition, I will continue on the road to curing the diabetes. My doctor thinks that will be the case at the end of the year. I am not so sure.

One thing I AM sure of however, is that if I hadn't had this surgery, I would be in a lot of trouble.

Again, congratulations to the OP, that's wonderful news, and I wish you continued success. I wish the same for us all.

Be well…

I no longer take meds for diabetes. I stopped a week before surgery. My A1C was good with my first check up and I will have another one at the end of the month. I also have hypothyroidism and am losing so slow.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL! I'm an eye doctor and I absolutely go through the roof when my patients come back and tell me they are no longer diabetic! This is SO AWESOME for you, your health, your families, your LIVES!

Not sure if anyone was watching/reading the news in the last few weeks, but a long-term study was just published showing how bariatric surgery was much more effective at controlling and/or eliminating diabetes than medications. We all figured this out already, of course, but hopefully insurance companies will take this new information and stop getting in the way of people who just want to be healthy.

Blessings to all!

I couldn't agree with everyone more.....thank you..... thank you....thank you....for the positive feedback ....it feels wonderful to be free of the crazy cravings, The constantly being hungry, the constant need to eat carbohydrates, the sluggishness, the being sleepy and being tired of feeling like you can't move. I noticed changes in my skin that it's a lot more soft and supple and my feet look 100% better....it's just such a better happier healthier more wonderful place to be and I congratulate everyone on this journey....we will all hopefully be free of this disease!!!!

Shel....skipping along without her blood meter :-)

I have to agree with the good doctor above that weight loss surgery is the only sure way to cure diabetes. I also heard the report on the news about the study that was done over a three year period. Of the three patients in the study, one was kept on meds and diet, one had the lapband and the third the gastric sleeve. Only the two who had the surgery lost a dramatic amount of weight and no longer were on diabetic meds and the third one on the diet was still diabetic, still overweight and still on meds. So the study proved that surgery is the only sure way to cure diabetes. I am a type 2 diabetic, 3-1/2 months out from surgery and I no longer use insulin and only one metformin in the morning. My A1c one month after surgery went down from 8.9 to 7.2...my next blood work is in May at which time if my readings are under 6, my doctor will take me off the metformin too. Congratulations Baby Sheldon...you are an inspiration.

I have to agree with the good doctor above that weight loss surgery is the only sure way to cure diabetes. I also heard the report on the news about the study that was done over a three year period. Of the three patients in the study, one was kept on meds and diet, one had the lapband and the third the gastric sleeve. Only the two who had the surgery lost a dramatic amount of weight and no longer were on diabetic meds and the third one on the diet was still diabetic, still overweight and still on meds. So the study proved that surgery is the only sure way to cure diabetes. I am a type 2 diabetic, 3-1/2 months out from surgery and I no longer use insulin and only one metformin in the morning. My A1c one month after surgery went down from 8.9 to 7.2...my next blood work is in May at which time if my readings are under 6, my doctor will take me off the metformin too. Congratulations Baby Sheldon...you are an inspiration.

Thank you tooo!!!! Sounds like your numbers are going way down also..... Isn't this an awesome feeling?.. For me it makes everything so worth it!

Thank you for sharing the study information....that just reinforces what we all know....we can beat type 2 diabetes....in many cases...yaaaaaay!!!!!

Thanks for Sharing!!!

Sheldon

My diabetes is also gone.

I was pre diabetic with an A1C of 5.9 preop, currently my post surgical A1C stands at 4.7. These numbers reflect average fasting glucose levels of 120 and 90 respectively. Big difference.

My diabetes is also gone.

Outstanding!!!!

Shel

I was pre diabetic with an A1C of 5.9 preop, currently my post surgical A1C stands at 4.7. These numbers reflect average fasting glucose levels of 120 and 90 respectively. Big difference.

Nice!!!!!!

Shel