Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes GONE! A1c is.........

I was pre diabetic with an A1C of 5.9 preop, currently my post surgical A1C stands at 4.7. These numbers reflect average fasting glucose levels of 120 and 90 respectively. Big difference.

Reviewer, I was in the same place you were, pre-diabetic with a 5.9 A1c. My surgery was in December. My doc did not run my A1c last week but my fasting sugar was 72. I intentionally had surgery before I became diabetic. I understand the whole genetics thing and not being able to control that part, both of my siblings and my mom are on insulin and have been for years. I will just keep my fingers crossed but with my genetics I know that there is no guarantee for me, but here's hoping!

I am still considered diabetic but get my 1st post op A1C next Tuesday. I came off 6 shots a day before surgery and take nothing right now. My sugars run between 88-120. I am so anxious to find out what the number is and what my doctor says. It was 10.6 before surgery.

I am still considered diabetic but get my 1st post op A1C next Tuesday. I came off 6 shots a day before surgery and take nothing right now. My sugars run between 88-120. I am so anxious to find out what the number is and what my doctor says. It was 10.6 before surgery.

Great Susan!!!! You are doing all of the right things then you are very likely to see a significant change, especially when you are a few months out an losing steadily..... Congratulations on your new life!!!!

Shel

I am hoping for a good Hba1c when I have my next lab work in July. They forgot to run it when I went in March-but I was only 3 weeks post op and I'd rather see how it is after 6 months after being sleeved. I was dropped from taking 60 units of Lantus and Novalog combined, 1.8 of Victoza, 10mg of glipizide, 10mg of Lisiniopril, 2000mg a day of Metformin and 88mg of Levoxyl down now to just 1 500mg metformin-1/2 in the morning and pm, 5 mg of Lisinipril and that's it. My numbers were getting too low with the insulin-50-70's over night. My fastings now are coming down again on the metformin-90's to 120's. It's my body getting used to less weight as well as being better over all. She is sure that before I come in July, I'll have to ditch the metformin too. I hope so. At least I no longer am dealing with insulin 4 times daily. I am happy with how I feel. I no longer feel like I am dragging-that was a huge part of all those meds. I was feeling like I was in a fog with them all. I may always be type 2-but a much better managed type 2.

I am hoping for a good Hba1c when I have my next lab work in July. They forgot to run it when I went in March-but I was only 3 weeks post op and I'd rather see how it is after 6 months after being sleeved. I was dropped from taking 60 units of Lantus and Novalog combined, 1.8 of Victoza, 10mg of glipizide, 10mg of Lisiniopril, 2000mg a day of Metformin and 88mg of Levoxyl down now to just 1 500mg metformin-1/2 in the morning and pm, 5 mg of Lisinipril and that's it. My numbers were getting too low with the insulin-50-70's over night. My fastings now are coming down again on the metformin-90's to 120's. It's my body getting used to less weight as well as being better over all. She is sure that before I come in July, I'll have to ditch the metformin too. I hope so. At least I no longer am dealing with insulin 4 times daily. I am happy with how I feel. I no longer feel like I am dragging-that was a huge part of all those meds. I was feeling like I was in a fog with them all. I may always be type 2-but a much better managed type 2.

Fantastic Nell...it sounds like you were doing all of the right things and you are committed to getting rid of this horrible disease ....you've already already made huge improvements in your health and your lifestyle congratulations!....

keep us posted!

Shel

I did surgery in 10/13 and have lost abt 60 lbs. On 4 type 2 meds before surgery. Post surg, I dropped the short term insulin and Invocana, reduced metformin and lantus, also. However at month 3.5, a1c went up. I had to raise metformin and lantus a bit, added Invocana back. My sugars are great looking now, but just had 6 mo. Labs done and anxious to see a1c. Very sad that I am not one of the "miracles." I was type 2 for almost 20 yrs, so my surgeon warned me. He actually recommended the D. switch instead bc it works better for diabetes, but I chickened out on that. Grateful for the improvement I've gotten, though. Have to keep focused on that and know that some things are out of my control.

I did surgery in 10/13 and have lost abt 60 lbs. On 4 type 2 meds before surgery. Post surg, I dropped the short term insulin and Invocana, reduced metformin and lantus, also. However at month 3.5, a1c went up. I had to raise metformin and lantus a bit, added Invocana back. My sugars are great looking now, but just had 6 mo. Labs done and anxious to see a1c. Very sad that I am not one of the "miracles." I was type 2 for almost 20 yrs, so my surgeon warned me. He actually recommended the D. switch instead bc it works better for diabetes, but I chickened out on that. Grateful for the improvement I've gotten, though. Have to keep focused on that and know that some things are out of my control.

Slow and steady wins the race.....congratulations on reducing your diabetes medications and for a huge loss of 60 pounds....that is wonderful! Even if you were unable to eradicate the disease entirely, you have improved your health, your lifespan and improved the lives of all the people who love you and need you to be here.....this IS truly a MIRACLE!

Sheldon