Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complete loss of appetite

This happened to me the last time I was in the green zone. I lost all appetite, eating became a chore and I would look for ways to avoid eating rather than eat. I lost a lot of weight and eventually my doctor threatened to unfill me, so I started forcing myself to eat.

It's only been a week since my last fill (and I haven't been in the green zone since my band replacement) and already it's happening. I don't feel "hungry" at all. My stomach is growling but I have no desire to eat, and in fact the thought is a bit distasteful. I know it's the band because when it's not at this fill level I still enjoy food.< br />
This last fill was only 0.2cc. Not a big fill at all. In the last 9 days since my fill, I have probably gone 6 days with only one meal a day, because as long as no one is watching and making sure I'm eating, I just don't eat. I don't even think about it. I'm hoping it will settle this complete distaste for food won't be so bad.

Am I the only one for whom the band works like this?

Edited by lellow

YES...I am never hungry either...and along with that I have no interest in food or eating....

I have to remind myself I need to eat, otherwise I can, and have, gone 24hrs without food....

Some people only experience this a few hours between meals, which I experienced after my 2nd fill....but now, since my last and final fill, I have it 24 hrs a day, whether I eat or not....

As far as loosing too much, with my Dr.'s advice, I let it go until my body leveled out all on it's own at a healthy point...as long as I maintain my daily Protein intake...

I also check my body fat% and body mass by having a full body analysis done every 6 weeks or so......staying within healthy "fit" ranges....I do not rely on the scale anymore, nor are BMI charts any good....

My body fat % is below normal, it is in the "Fit" or "Athletic" range...if I should loose any more weight, it would not be fat...therefore it would not be healthy....

It has been this way for me for 2-1/2 years, ever since hitting the "Green" zone.....have not had a single complication as of yet....have plenty of energy...exercise everyday (running 5 miles) and working my job 8 hrs plus, 5 days a week...

So for me...life is good....and my Dr.(s) could not be more pleased.....

Also, I should add...along with my appetite leaving, my "Tastes" have changed dramatically....things I used to love now have no taste at all....and they change all the time...

Edited by B-52

B-52 I remember reading that you have no appetite too. I was hoping you would reply. My weight got low, as in I was a size 0 low, and I was still dropping. I was not eating when left to my own devices - being a single mum at the time, no one was making sure I took care of myself - and I'd just forget. After my doctor got concerned, I did for a while set alarms on my phone to remind me to eat, so I might go back to doing that. I got used to that for a long time, until the leak, until I experienced hunger again...

I guess this is something for me to get used to again. It's a recent thing so maybe I just need to learn to live with it again, and not get too low this time. I have lost close to 6lbs already in the last 9 days so before it goes much further I need to take stock and put in measures.

It's funny when my band started leaking I almost wondered if I'd imagined having no hunger when in the green zone. But now, I know it's very real. I have no interest in food at all. Though I guess it's easier to try to eat than struggling not to eat.

It's worth noting....when I first came here to this site 3 years ago...all the veterans who were here 3 years before me, found their 100% successful journeys by saying they had no hunger...period. Green = No Hunger....

Now all those veterans have moved on, as all of us eventually will...

And Today....

The new veterans taking their place and sharing their 100% success completing THEIR weight loss journeys, advocate no hunger just for a few hours, between meals...

Interesting how beliefs change....but there are a few of us still around......

But for all I care, as long as an individual has found their way to be 100% successful, and has completed their weight loss programs, why should I care how they did it...as long as they did it and that's what counts...my experience and success is just one more example....

And eventually I will move on also....

I don't agree that green means no hunger. If you are not eating, you sound almost anorexic. That is what made Sharon Osborn renove her lapband. Please eat!

I just posted a bit about this on my blog. I also have no hunger in the green zone. I am forcing myself to eat at least twice per day because my loss slows and almost stops completely when I don't. So for me the lack of appetite has a detrimental affect on my band.

I'm still in the "figure it all out" mode...I have to say having been on both sides I prefer this to being hungry all the time, but as my ultimate goal is health I also know eating well is what will get me there.

I thought green means going 4 or 5 hrs without getting hungry between meals. Not "no hunger at all". ?

I thought green means going 4 or 5 hrs without getting hungry between meals. Not "no hunger at all". ?

You said...

It does, green does not mean starvation and malnutrition, it means having a DIMMED appetite under control about 4-5 hours between meals.

Just wondering if you have no hunger, when you do eat what does your meals consist of? I have no hunger but on Monday I am calling the dr. Because I think I am to tight. One day I can eat a little but most day I have trouble eating.

I think it's different for everyone. My loss of appetite is not because my band is too tight. I have no trouble eating. Yesterday for dinner I had shredded pork carnitas minus the tortilla topped with guacamole, sour cream, cheese and lettuce. I ate the equivalent of a full cup of that. And it took me about 45 min to eat it.

But, I could have just as easily not eaten anything and been fine.

This morning I ate one scrambled egg and 1/2 cup of oatmeal. But I wasn't "hungry"...

There is no one size fits all solution with the band or any other diet/weight loss efforts including what the green zone means for an individual. Eating as little as I do my labs come back good, my Vitamin levels are good and my doctor certainly doesn't call it starvation or malnutrition.

does the ppl that have no hunger have a plication? if food isn't what you don't want than at least a Protein shake with a few more calories should be helpful. b52 you have a Protein smoothie in the morning don't you? look into those. at least you will be getting fruit and vegetables and protein. use skim milk to make your shakes. that adds some calories. there are ways. but not eating is not good. your body , teeth, digestion system, bones, organs, and brain all need food to function. you don't want to be in a emergency situation and be malnourished. body systems fail fast without nourishment. good luck. i hope at least you folks having trouble eating are taking Vitamins and supplements.

I just have the band... I also just think my band for whatever reason has just tighten up on me. That is why I was asking what they eat because at the moment even though I am not hungry, I couldn't eat pulled pork if I tried. On Monday I am going back to the dr.

I knew that whenever this comes up...people completely misunderstand what I am trying to explain...

First, people automatically assume my band is tight..it is not tight..I eat things other people here cannot, and vice-versa.... I do not crush my pills and I take some large gell caps....I have not had a stuck episode for over 2 years now...I eat good..I have never been healthier....I can drink carbonated drinks with no problem...people with tight bands cannot....nor can they keep foods down without a problem......

It is not about restriction to the point you cannot eat...it is a mental thing...hard to explain, but the mere presence of the band, properly adjusted, sends a signal to my brain that I am full, satisfied, whatever , as though I have just finished a 5 course meal........and because I am full I do not need to eat, there fore I am simply not hungry, and do not have cravings.......but I know the difference and can eat through the mental part of it....

I have been making my own smoothie for Breakfast even since being banded...it is better nutritionally than anything anyone could possibly eat....

It has become a health fad with all people, just about everyone I know is doing it now....and blenders, magic bullets, etc, sales are everywhere...

Whether I was banded or not I would do it simply for health benefits....

BTW, I use Almond Milk to make my smoothies....

Below is the Yellow-Green-Red chart my Dr. has always used for fills, and under the Green Zone is simply says no hunger....you can interpret that how ever you wish.

I also attached a photo of the Vitamins I take every morning, with my smoothie before heading to the gym to run my 5 miles....

\

\

lap_band_fill_zpsfa76dbdb.jpg

\

DSC_0001_zpsb8ba1d3c.jpg

One thing I have learned is that everyone is different and many people here have different views as to how they have become successful...

I don't agree with the not eating thing because you are not hungry. You have to eat to fuel your body and I would not never want to be hungry. My hunger now is not oh I need to eat it is just a reminder to refuel. I don't want to never have an appetite or to not care about food. You see as you get further down the road what you don't realize is that if you don't give your body what it needs it will start taking from the muscle and once you have muscle loss you can not get it back no matter how much you work out. I have seen many patients malnutrition because they get wls and think they are not supposed to eat, thus becoming very sickly. I have seen them even paralyzed from lacking B-12. Stop kidding yourself that not eating is the way to go and going 24 hours without a meal. You have surely seen food somewhere whether it be home or work or on the street to remind you to eat something. Totally going without food is setting yourself up to unhealthy eating habits once again. You either eat to be fat or don't eat to be anorexic and more and more people pick up eating disorders after wls because they are afraid of gaining weight back again.

I knew that whenever this comes up...people completely misunderstand what I am trying to explain...

First, people automatically assume my band is tight..it is not tight..I eat things other people here cannot, and vice-versa.... I do not crush my pills and I take some large gell caps....I have not had a stuck episode for over 2 years now...I eat good..I have never been healthier....I can drink carbonated drinks with no problem...people with tight bands cannot....nor can they keep foods down without a problem......

It is not about restriction to the point you cannot eat...it is a mental thing...hard to explain, but the mere presence of the band, properly adjusted, sends a signal to my brain that I am full, satisfied, whatever , as though I have just finished a 5 course meal........and because I am full I do not need to eat, there fore I am simply not hungry, and do not have cravings.......but I know the difference and can eat through the mental part of it....

...One thing I have learned is that everyone is different and many people here have different views as to how they have become successful...

I get it B52. My doctor uses the same chart. I don't have too much restriction...I don't crush pills...I'm just simply not hungry.

And I have to respond to the above...

Cheryl, whether you disagree or not or would never want to not feel hungry or not...the fact remains that this is how the green zone feels for us. And if you'd read his post you would have read that he eats through the mental part of not being hungry. And so do I.

There is no starvation or malnutrition going on. No going 24 hours without meals...So half your post doesnt even apply to what the original topic was. Even lellow talks about setting a timer to remind herself to eat. I plan my meals around when my children eat...that's my mental timer.

There may be those who stop eating and what you describe woud be their reality, but it's not an automatic that anyone whose green zone allows them to not feel hunger is going to be anorexic or stop eating completely.