Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It seems to me that we hear less from vets. I think you guys are all busy just living your lives which is awesome. When we are in the pre-op and losing stage we need the support. I'm always glad when long term vets post. I am fortunate to have a friend who had an RNY 18 years ago and she does great.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm Canadian too. Just going through the process now. Hope to have my surgery by February 2017.

Are there any true veterans on here? I immediately went to the veterans forum here but the definition there is "6 months or more". In wls circles a veteran is typically defined as anyone 2 years out or more. So it makes me wonder I'd there are any log timers here at all?

Anyway, glad to find this forum. More than Willing to help any newbies, meet new friends :-)

I'm 7 years out of rny, teacher and Canadian.

Thanks for having me!

Dawn

I am a veteran...4.5 yrs out...gastric sleeve. Roller coaster ride...but on track now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Hi Dawn! You look amazing! Congrats on your success!!!

J

SW-321

CW-210

WL-111

Goal Weight--180

4 years post op

I am 4 years out from sleeve surgery and 125# weight loss. Due to a medical problem, I was bedridden for about a year and gained 35#. Took 8 months to lose the weight, but I am now back below goal. Absolutely no regrets.

Edited by catlady2012

Hi! i'm 4.5 years post and could use a pep talk. I've gained back about 40lbs. I want so badly to get back down to my lowest weight but i'm having a heck of a time. It's all about focus, support, believing in yourself, will power and sticking to the plan. Is anyone else struggling? Does anyone else feel like they went back to the place where no matter what they tried they couldn't lose? I appreciate the support and insight!

Hi, I had my RNY in May of 2014 and as of now lost 120 lbs. I'm also from Canada!! I have regained 8 lbs recently so am being careful to log all that I eat. My problem is that I have never exercised and need to start doing that to lose that last 20 lbs!!

Hi -congratulations on your fabulous journey.

I am pre-surgery and thinking long term... I see the surgery as those stabilisers you put on a kids bike... an opportunity to HAVE to eat well and create good habits that will become second nature. I'm on a high Protein low carb pre-op diet and was already restricting sugar for a few weeks. What I'm noticing already is how shockingly different stuff tastes when you don't kill your taste buds with sugar. I guess what I'm saying is your 'constant struggle' worries me and my question is this. Is it a struggle against hunger or a struggle not to eat sugar/processed food?

I'm in it to win tut get anxious easily and I hear different things about post op.

I have a friend who is eight years post op and who still eats like a sparrow. But she relapsed with her alcoholism so now has a bigger problem. And that in itself makes me think I need to continue my therapy as I'm sure the big part of the 'fix' will happen there.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I did RNY in 2004 , so 12 years ago. Lost from 333 lbs to 184 and now slowly up to 212 about. Pretty good I think. Holding at this for several years now. At the first I had problems only because I did not eat as I should. Tried to much or to fast or Water on top of a filled tummy and then cheap food doesn't go well for me. It took a long time to know but I think I am lactose intolerant which is not a big prob once I figured out . I can eat almost a bit of everything possible. So, I don't feel bad about missing much. I do not order a steak ever I think but ask for 2 or 3 small bites of person next to me. I enjoy the taste and that is all I want to do. Often O get a tiny taste of Baskin-Robbins ice cream when others go and perhaps another tiny spoon and that does it and saves money.

I stopped pre diabetes totally and that is worth the whole project. I also ended my sleep apnea recently. I no longer ask for the seat belt extension in air planes and the trays always lay down flat again in tight ones.

I could go on and on.

I have recently had some memory issues that are not Alzheimer's . I am curious if that has anything to do with the people having surgeries . I wonder if it could be arrested at least and if there are studies going on this area?

Might just be my age but I think somebody should study me. I can observe myself rather well and tell what changes often.

Anyway, I did not have a Tummy Tuck or any of that afterward. I was not wanting the pain but now at 55 I wish I had and then I wish I had exercised all the time correctly also!!

If I could do some things different I would pick trying to eliminate all soft drinks after surgery forever, stick to a regular exercise plan for life, try to eliminate caffeine .... meaning chocolate especially after the cokes area, and devote myself to drinking more Water and keeping a food diary. If I did all of those I would really be thinner, more energized, have much better health all around and teeth and on and on.

So, I would do the operation again, add those habits seriously, and visit lots of support meetings as I loved doing.

It has been very nice for me, and I enjoy that my stomach kinda tells me" this fast food and hot dogs just won't go well as better choices" you already knew it to!!

I'm 2 years out at the end of this month...and man its been a journey.

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

And? A good one I hope JustRobin?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App