Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with being banded at NYU - my surgeon is Dr. Fielding - but I would not mind hearing about anyone or any aspect of the practice. Also, info about care on the day of surgery. I am in early stages of the process and have talked to Dr. Fielding about specifics i.e. does he prefer Lapband or Realize, should I expect same day procedure or overnight...those sorts of things.

I have him too! I was told Lap band is better than Realize by a nurse there...

Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with being banded at NYU - my surgeon is Dr. Fielding - but I would not mind hearing about anyone or any aspect of the practice. Also, info about care on the day of surgery. I am in early stages of the process and have talked to Dr. Fielding about specifics i.e. does he prefer Lapband or Realize, should I expect same day procedure or overnight...those sorts of things.

I was banded @ NYU by Dr. Ren-Fielding (his wife.) I'm a huge fan of the entire practice. Dr. Fielding has filled/unfilled me. He's one of the most experienced bariatric surgeons - in the world. To top it off...he's a Lap-Band patient himself! You can't get better than that. I've also had the great pleasure of getting filled/unfilled by Dr. Schwack. He's a genuinely nice guy and a fantastic surgeon. I'd personally go with the Lap-band over the Realize band. Please keep us updated on your progress and make sure to send regards to Dr. Fielding for me :D

I have Dr. Schwack... He is an awesome doctor. As Alex said the whole practice is wonderful. You will not be disappointed with anyone from that office.

I was banded by Dr. Ren in August of 2010. After losing 75 lbs, I now speak on behalf of the practice at their information sessions. They are all great in their office. You should contact the office regarding if you will be staying over or have an outpatient surgery. I had outpatient and was in and out of the OR in an hour. Dr. Fielding will choose which band he puts in once he gets to surgery, unless you really have a preference. I'm pretty sure most of the surgeons in the office use the lap-band more than the realize band, but it is like coke and Pepsi (personal preference).

I was banded in Oct 2007 with Dr. Marina kurian. Gained so much weight back cause i had a leak and when I went to go speak to

Her about fixing my band she told me the nurse practioner will see me cause she was late to her hair dresser appt and her hair dresser doesn't like when she is late! I waited to see her for almost an hr in the waiting area and over an hr in the room n she just ditched me!??? What the hell kind of Dr. Does that????? I work for surgerons so 1 of my drs. Referred me to Dr. Bradley Schwack and he is so nice! He listens to you answers all your questions and especially doesn't try rush you out of the room to see his next patient. I just got my lap band replaced on March 1, 2013 with Dr. Schwack. He replaced everything because he said the band looked damaged n it wasn't in place right. I feel he is a much more caring, nice, and much more throrough and smart than Dr. Marina Kurian.

I was banded on January 14th by Dr. Ren. So far I am very happy with the practice, and with the surgery itself. I had some pain obviously, but nothing like some of the experiences I read on this site. I stayed overnight and that was the right decision for me. The NYU staff were very good and I was taken care of right after surgery by a nurse who never left my side. I email with Despina (the nutritionist) when I have a question or concern and she always gets back to me.

I was banded by Dr. Schwack, who is an excellent doctor and a simply adorable guy. Even my husband liked him! I highly recommend him to everyone.

I was banded in Oct 2007 with Dr. Marina kurian. Gained so much weight back cause i had a leak and when I went to go speak to

Her about fixing my band she told me the nurse practioner will see me cause she was late to her hair dresser appt and her hair dresser doesn't like when she is late! I waited to see her for almost an hr in the waiting area and over an hr in the room n she just ditched me!??? What the hell kind of Dr. Does that????? I work for surgerons so 1 of my drs. Referred me to Dr. Bradley Schwack and he is so nice! He listens to you answers all your questions and especially doesn't try rush you out of the room to see his next patient. I just got my lap band replaced on March 1' date=' 2013 with Dr. Schwack. He replaced everything because he said the band looked damaged n it wasn't in place right. I feel he is a much more caring, nice, and much more throrough and smart than Dr. Marina Kurian.[/quote']

I was recently banded by Dr Kurian, I always found her to be nothing but nice & punctual with appointments. I'm sorry you had a weird experience with her.

I was recently banded by Dr Kurian' date=' I always found her to be nothing but nice & punctual with appointments. I'm sorry you had a weird experience with her.[/quote']

Its ok. It's all about her that I don't like. I hope she treats you well and with respect! Cause everyone deserves to be treated with respect and well when it comes down to having a doctor! She obvisiouly had no respect for me since she ditched me to get her hair done!

Dr. Schwack is also my doctor, he is seriously adorable

I was banded by Dr. Schwack, who is an excellent doctor and a simply adorable guy. Even my husband liked him! I highly recommend him to everyone.

I was just banded on July 15th by Dr. Ren. From the moment I stepped into NYU to the moment I left, I felt cared for and that the whole staff was there for me. The facility is really nice and well - appointed. I have no complaints. Dr. Ren is a true professional, and a delight to work with. She made this whole experience as comfortable as it could be.

Doctor Ren-Fielding was my surgeon. Believe it or not, I only saw her for the pre-op consultation and the day of surgery. I haven't seen her since. And I'm NOT saying this as a BAD THING.

One thing I remember about her is her professionalism and genuine care for me. She commands respect with her mere presence. She's just LOVELY!!

The reason why I haven't seen her since surgery is because initially, I got my fills with Frank, but one day, when I was scheduled to get one with Ren, she had an emergency and instead GASPAR baptized me... This man has a gift! I think he can do fills with his eyes BANDed (pun intended) because he's just WONDERFUL. He has the Midas touch, so-to-speak.

Every single person in that practice has been wonderful to me.

If anyone on this thread is interested, we're having another support group meeting on Saturday from 2-4 in midtown at The Atrium on Third Ave between 49th and 50th streets. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you.

Liz

Dang it!! I always miss it!! Gggrrrrr!

I will be on my way to Aviator Sports & Events Center for the NEON DASH 5K

Enjoy each other's company, guys!!