Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to introduce myself

Guest Tammy05

Guest Tammy05

Hi just wanted to introduce my self. I’m 38 5’1 and 229 lbs My bmi is 43.3. I’m in research mode, while waiting for insurance approval. I have been reading LBT almost every chance I get, where it is almost a new obsession for me. Most of my research has been positive, but I have seen a few post with people having some problems. I have seen a lot of wonderful before and after pics that are very encouraging. I have struggled with weight loss for 20 years. Like most here I lose some weight but gain a lot more back. Every day I wake up and tell myself today is going to be a good day and I’m going to make good food choices. Every day I fail. I get tired of thinking about what I’m going to eat. Soon as I start getting hungry I start obsessing over food. I start thinking about what sounds best, not what’s the best choices for me to make. I want something yummy and satisfying. Other days I just don’t care about my weight and just try to accept myself the way I am. But I don’t think I can really ever accept myself the way I am, because I hate being over weight. I don’t live my life the way I want to cause I’m always hiding from the world,( for instance my husband and I were invited to a costume party. It sounds fun, but I don’t want to go because I’ll be self conscience the whole night) I’m always depressed. I know I don’t want to live the rest of my life fat. I know losing weight is a very unattainable task for me, and I know I’m so tired of trying and having so much of my life focused on trying to lose weight, and constantly failing. The band seems like my only hope. The thought of surgery is starting to scare me. To be honest the thought of not being able to eat what I want and when I want it also scares me. I don’t know if I can eat slow, and chew chew chew. I scarf my food, especially when I’m hungry. I can’t get the food in my stomach fast enough.

I would love to hear form others that have had the same problems, and fears but are now having much success.

Welcome, another newbie. Sounds like you've done quite a bit of research and yes your story is a very familiar one for the majority of us here. Many of us have true food obsessions, haven't been able to lose weight without the help of the band and keep it off and your fear of surgery is perfectly normal and understandable.

I have had my band since 2/2002 without any problems or complications. Right from the get go the surgery was a breeze the recovery was really non existent for me and the only problem I have had on this journey, is an emotional one. After losing 120+ lbs I totally freaked out emotionally, had all of the fill removed from my band and a year later, after I resolved the issue with counseling, I went and got a new fill. That was in August and I have had two fills since then and have lost a total of 60 lbs so far. Not too bad. That's for me one of the greatest benefits of having the band. It will wait for you to come to your senses.

As for problems or complications, yes of course there are some who have had many problems, to the point that a number of people have had to have there bands removed entirely. Unfortunately, as with anything foreign going into the body, there is a percentage of people who will have problems. As to why some do and some don't, I don't have an answer for that and doubt if anyone else has an answer either. But it does happen, it's a chance you have to be willing to take.

The band is a miraculous tool to aid in weight loss, it doesn't lose the weight for you. It is not a rapid weight loss, like in gastric bypass, it's much slower and more controlled. You will have to make lifestyle changes, there's no getting around it. You will need to follow a healthy diet, drink lots of Water and get regular exercise. All those things we haven't been able to do in the past. The difference is with the band, at least for most of us, the hunger, real hunger is diminished greatly if not totally eliminated. With proper restriction, a couple of bites of well chewed food will fill you up for a longer period of time than it ever would have in the past.

As for that fear of not chewing well enough and just gobbling down food, you will learn very quickly that this is not such a great idea. The band will let you know and believe me it isn't pleasant or pain free. You'll learn not to do it.

Well, as ususal, I have gone on far too long. I hope that some the information I have given you is helpful. I wish you a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery as well as a long healthy life.

Cindy

Tammy05, your story sounds an awful lot like mine. And I can't reply better than cindy just did. Welcome to LBT, I hope you get your band surgery date soon! It has made a world of difference for me.

An example. This afternoonI went to my neighnor's house and stood in the kitchen talking with the girls. They were eating leftover pizza and the kids were playing and we had a ball! I had already eaten lunch, I just had my second fill last Wednesday so I'm being pretty cautious right now about my food, so I ate no pizza. And it was easy! What topped it off for me was one girl was eating pizza and piling sour cream all over the top...yummy! She ate the leftover stuffed crusts of another girl (we're all close and eat after each other) and she would dip the crust in the sour cream and take this huge ole bite and it looked soooooooo good! OMGosh! I wanted to dip crust and eat it so bad, i stood there and said "I love my band, I love my band" out loud! LOL it was funny but I did NOT participate in that Evil! Oh, and I would have...before. She probably downed 12 ounces of sour cream with that pizza, too. And she weighs 250lbs. too. She won't get it off eating that way!

Anyhow, just a little story in the life of a bandster. It's about HOPE. I have it now. Yay!!!!

Tammy It is nice to meet you!! I promise once your banded and the weight is coming off... you will not want to ever change your mind about haveing the best weight loss tool you could possibly have on your side. I started out at 265 and 5'00 tall. I have been over weight since I was about 10 years old. I would lose wieght and gain weight and never could make it much past losing 50 pounds on my own..only to see that same ugly 50 pounds looking me in the face just a few months later. I would eat a whole bag of chips as a teenager and sit in my room and cry because I felt so bad about eating THE WHOLE BAG!!

It will take you alot to get use to how your band works and listening to your body and how it reactes to certain foods at different times of the day.... But you can do this..if I can then you can. Since February 2005 I've lost 73 pounds... I promise you It is because I've had my band and it helps me get to the point with my weight that I couldn't get to by myself. Please know this is a really difficult and scary time. You are talking surgery...but it will honestly be the best desicion you could ever make for your self... and you have every right to be worried and anxious... these feelings are perfectly normal and its a big leap that once you take the first step you will never want to go back. Look at this as a wonderful begining of the best journey of your life... the start to a new you.... Do your research think hard because only you can make this desicion!!! Good luck to you !!!

Welcome to bandland. Theres not much I can say that hasn't already been said in the early post. Good luck with your decision.

Guest Stephy

Hello Tammy! As with most of the people who responded to your intro, me and you sound similar. I am currently 271lbs and 5'1. I have been large since the age of 9. Like others, I have allowed time to get the best of me in regards to weight. I truly never saw weightloss as a challenge but after I turned 32 I noticed that I no longer have that thing they call "will power". SO I joined a weightloss program and started my research about Lap-band. Back in the day if someone would have told me about surgery to loss weight, I would have told them they were NUTS!! I thought that this was a thing that could be handle alone. However I was sadly mistaken. I have been really putting forth an effort to lose weight the 'right' way and everyday has its own fill of challenges and most days end with me saying that tomorrow will be a better day. I have completed all the paperwork for WLS and I am awaiting word from the insurance company. I am truly afraid about having this surgery, this is the first time I have admitted this outloud (in a weird way) but I scares me to know that once I am banded there are some major changes that are going to take place and i have to make sure I am ready to comply with the choices I have to make! My thoughts are how can I do this if I couldnt keep myself from getting like this? I have been assurred that these are normal thoughts and that its all about realizing that I have a problem. So my prayer is that the band allows me to find out some things about myself that I didnt know existed. Good luck to you in your discoveries and please call on me if you ever need a little support. We are all in this thing together.