Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Why & Where* does food get "stuck?"

That pain is awful...but what I don't understand is where it gets stuck. Does it get stuck in the esophagus before it even enters the pouch? Does it get stuck in the stomach pouch as it's going through the banding site to the rest of the stomach and digestive tract?

Edited by kls075
simplifying my question

Ive always wondered this and dont understand it. Wouldnt ya want the food to be"STUCK" so it doesnt empty in to the larger part of the somach?

Sticking occurs when food does not pass from the upper pouch to the main part of the stomach. It can be painful while it is stuck and usually the only way to get it unstuck is to throw it up - not really as unpleasant as you would imagine.

Everyone is different - but here are a few foods that most people report having problems with 'sticking'.

dry chicken - especially chicken with the skin on

chips

Steak - basically any meat that you do not chew up well

Sticky rice

bread

scrambled eggs

Whenever I get stuck I feel it pass through the band into the lower stomach. So its right there at the band. It hurts like hell and I do have to spit out what I have in my mouth because I cannot swallow and then push out what evers on top. Disgusting I know but makes me slow down!!!!

Ive always wondered this and dont understand it. Wouldnt ya want the food to be"STUCK" so it doesnt empty in to the larger part of the somach?

This is something that has been asked a number of times and to date has not been answered. I asked my fill Dr and her explanation to me really did not make sense.She said something about the food moving through a lot quicker than we think. If this is true then it contradicts how the band is supposed to work.

Supposedly the food is supposed to sit in the pouch for a while so feeling stuck immediately does not make sense.Logically to me if i take a bite that's too big or don't chew properley it shouldn't hurt straight away as it shouldn't be going through the band straight away. But it hurts INSTANTLY.

sometimes I wonder if its not the fear to eat that makes us lose weight. I feel like Im being brainwashed GEEZ

another one I dont understand is I know we cant drink during or after our meals because it washes it down. Well why doesnt it wash it down an hour after we eat and make us hungry in that hour?

We need a video! LOL

another one I dont understand is I know we cant drink during or after our meals because it washes it down. Well why doesnt it wash it down an hour after we eat and make us hungry in that hour?

I wonder this too!!!