Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the top three things that have made you successful with the Lap Band?...

COUNT YOUR CALORIES!

The bodybugg is the other #1 thing that helped me be successful!

food Diary (count calories & pt grms)

Eating Healthy 98% (not dieting) allowing for treats 2%

Exercise

As my signature say - Eat healthy + Exercise + Band = Success!

Not thinking the band was going to do it for me - I did it

I did 75% of the work and the band did the other 25% by providing restriction ..

I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply... your answers are invaluable. Thank you so much.

I also found it interesting how many people mentioned 'support' of one kind or another.

Here is a list of the my TOP 3 that have helped me be successful with my band:

1) This is a LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET!

Before I got banded, I decided that I did NOT want another diet. I was damn sick and tired of counting calories, weighing and measuring my food, etc. I knew going into the surgery that the band was a tool to help me. I chose the band b/c I wanted to be able to eat like a normal human being... just a lot less.

2) PROTEIN! PROTEIN! PROTEIN!

I have discovered that keeping my consumption of Protein up helps me lose more weight and not feel hungry all the time. Actually, I tend to eat less when I eat more Protein. I prefer shrimp, chicken, tuna, nuts, eggs, seeds, and cheese. My favorite meal consists of sliced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, chopped hard-boiled egg, shredded cheese, sunflower seeds or sliced almonds, tuna or chicken, and either ranch or bleu cheese dressing. I have containers in the fridge containing each of the above mentioned ingredients that I pack up Sunday night. This way, when I go to pack my lunch for work or to grab a snack, everything is ready to go.

3) PORTION CONTROL

I have really relied pre-packaged food items and my tupperware containers. I prefer to buy 100 calorie snack packs of nuts, yogurt, chips, and yes... Cookies. This allows me to have a snack, but doesn't allow me to overindulge. I also really like string cheese and no sugar added frozen juice bars. Again, their single serving packaging helps me to stay on track. As for my tupperware containers, I only use the 1 cup size or smaller containers. I've even been known to dish out my food into one of these containers and then transfer it to a bread plate while eating in a restaurant or at a dinner party.

Wow Sweetbean70. Love your ideas on Protein. I'm copying that and using it after my surgery. I love all those things.

1. Eating as though I had restriction even when I didn't yet. (Allowed me to lose during the first months.) Journaling on Fitday to make sure I meet my nutritional needs and don't go overboard, calorie-wise.

2. EXERCISE!

3. Enough sleep. (Being tired disinhibits me, with relation to food.)

Edited by BetsyB

1. Keeping my band tight - not skimping on my fills or

putting them off - If I think i even MIGHT need a fill - I

get one - Fluid can always be taken out if it must be.

2. Setting goals along the way - clothes to fit into and

number on the scale both work well for me.

3. Protein - I still drink 1 Protein Drink in the am when I'm

too tight for Breakfast - its the only way I get enough

in...

1. Support - for me that is from my blogging community. Having people out there who understand what the life of a bandster is like, who will Celebrate my victories whether on the scale or over a bag of Doritos is totally priceless.
  2. Exercise - some people are able to lose without it, and I commend them. I need it, not just for the calories it burns but for the way it makes me feel and makes my body look.
  3. Perseverance - the knowledge that this weight WILL come off, and that slow little losses add up - for me, it's been 100lbs, and there was hardly a week where I lost more than 2lbs. But if you lost 1 or 2 every week for a year - you'll find yourself achieving great things.