Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for those who started with BMI 35 or less

My BMI is about 34-35 and I go for my banding tomorrow. Did you all have some type of fill the day of your surgery? I think all the doctors have different ways of doing things. I am paying for my own surgery so I think I'll be motivated.

Hi So Excited: You are probably getting your fill right now. Good Luck to you. I hope it helps in your weight loss. You are doing so good -- just curious, how did you lose all the weight from your highest 310 to the 235.5 at time of surgery? That is over 75 lbs if I am correct. Please explain.

Also let us know how your fill went. Did they find the port easily? Hope so. cat lady:confused::blushing:

I wanted to join in on this thread. Banded 12/30. Haven't had any issues. Did not do a preop and after six days do not have any restriction so the hunger is coming but I am just trying to eat the Protein and veggies as stated until my first fill on 1/20.

I dont believe I've had any weight loss but it should start as even w/o the band I am basically doing the adkins diet and everyone sees results with that if you dont eat carbs.

I know six days out I could eat a big mac if I wanted but I am not so that is good.

I wanted to join in on this thread. Banded 12/30. Haven't had any issues. Did not do a preop and after six days do not have any restriction so the hunger is coming but I am just trying to eat the Protein and veggies as stated until my first fill on 1/20.

I dont believe I've had any weight loss but it should start as even w/o the band I am basically doing the adkins diet and everyone sees results with that if you dont eat carbs.

I know six days out I could eat a big mac if I wanted but I am not so that is good.

I did Atkins just like you and since walking is encouraged ( even the first day) , I walked ALOT, kept increasing until I was walking 60 mins a day.

I GOT MY FILL! I'm super excited about it and glad its over. Yikes, he jabbed me twice with that big ol needle and dug around forever! I had no idea....I figured under the Xray he would just be able to stick it right in. Anywhooo I now have 3.5 cc's in my 10cc band. I was hoping for more but the doc wants to start slower rather than faster...good I suppose I just don't want to have to get jabbed like that too many times before I find my own sweet spot!

And yes catlady I was able to loose a lot on my own. I am proud of myself but it was not fun .... I was at my very highest weight in about 1999 it's took YEARS of yo yo dieting and one pregnancy to get to my pre op weight of 235.5 I have wanted WLS for a long time and have looked into it off and on. But one day last year I ran into an old friend who had dropped like 100 pounds, he looked so amazing and his wife told me all about the sleeve that he got. I went home that night and got on line, found a surgeon and asked my husband if he wanted to go to a free weight loss seminar with me. To my surprise he not only went with me but bought right into the whole band idea that night. My husband was banded a month before I was.

Soooooooooooooooooooo glad I am banded! I am finally going to be a healthy weight! On my 45th birthday party (that will be this June) I am going to throw myself one heck of a party!

Good Morning, I have a BMI or 35 and will be banded in 10 days on Jan 15/10. My concern was like others with the lower BMI was the rate of losing weight, although I know its a life change and the slower the better, but I am hopeful with the pre opt diet and the post opt month, that this will be the big boost for the weight loss of 60 lbs that I am looking for . Good Luck to all

I GOT MY FILL! I'm super excited about it and glad its over. Yikes, he jabbed me twice with that big ol needle and dug around forever! I had no idea....I figured under the Xray he would just be able to stick it right in. Anywhooo I now have 3.5 cc's in my 10cc band. I was hoping for more but the doc wants to start slower rather than faster...good I suppose I just don't want to have to get jabbed like that too many times before I find my own sweet spot!

And yes catlady I was able to loose a lot on my own. I am proud of myself but it was not fun .... I was at my very highest weight in about 1999 it's took YEARS of yo yo dieting and one pregnancy to get to my pre op weight of 235.5 I have wanted WLS for a long time and have looked into it off and on. But one day last year I ran into an old friend who had dropped like 100 pounds, he looked so amazing and his wife told me all about the sleeve that he got. I went home that night and got on line, found a surgeon and asked my husband if he wanted to go to a free weight loss seminar with me. To my surprise he not only went with me but bought right into the whole band idea that night. My husband was banded a month before I was.

Soooooooooooooooooooo glad I am banded! I am finally going to be a healthy weight! On my 45th birthday party (that will be this June) I am going to throw myself one heck of a party!

I hope it helps you, I go for my 4th fill next week. My doctor said he is always conservative with lower bmi patients. I am trying to be patient. I have really jump started my exercise now and that actually has slowed me up even more, but I fit better in my clothes so I know I am losing inches.

Good Morning, I have a BMI or 35 and will be banded in 10 days on Jan 15/10. My concern was like others with the lower BMI was the rate of losing weight, although I know its a life change and the slower the better, but I am hopeful with the pre opt diet and the post opt month, that this will be the big boost for the weight loss of 60 lbs that I am looking for . Good Luck to all

You will be pleased, Congrats on getting your date!

From What I have heard on here and from life expierience as well, it looks like a universal fact that the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off. That is what makes people give up on the diet and gain back the weight. This Christmas Season, I slacked off on the exercise, and had a few too many Snacks. I worried about weighing myself, but I still managed to lose a pound. I am at 29lbs lost now. I am about 3 1/2 months out. I need to buy some smaller pants now. That is the coolest part. I won't need my Woman Within catalogs any more.

Now that the holidays are past, I plan to pour on the exercise and watch it very carefully. I want to be into a size 12 by spring. Congrats on your band date, I know you will not regret your decision. I love my band because it kept me in line during difficult to navigate times. The old me would have given up, beat myself up, and gone on a binge.

I am surprised that you have to do a preop diet with your low BMI. I am hoping to lose the same as you but not looking for any big loss soon as the slower I lose the easier I think it will be to keep off. I've also heard if you lose a lot fast you will experience Hair loss so be careful.

I am surprised that you have to do a preop diet with your low BMI. I am hoping to lose the same as you but not looking for any big loss soon as the slower I lose the easier I think it will be to keep off. I've also heard if you lose a lot fast you will experience Hair loss so be careful.

I am not convinced that the hair loss is related to fast weight loss, or any other food related cause. There are tons of opinions and even the docs don't agree on it, but my suspicion is that it is either a reaction to the surgery or a hormone thing similar to what happens to a woman after the birth of a baby. This discussion will never find the true cause, but it is also a possibility that it is different for each person. Whew!! complicated Huh?

If you've ever known anyone who was anorexic you will find one of the first signs that they are underating is their hair is falling out. I've known two girls who suffered from anorexia and in the initial stages when they stopped eating and started losing lots of weight they lost tons of hair.

If you've ever known anyone who was anorexic you will find one of the first signs that they are underating is their hair is falling out. I've known two girls who suffered from anorexia and in the initial stages when they stopped eating and started losing lots of weight they lost tons of hair.

Yes of course I agree with that. However Anerexia is a different thing. These people don't eat at all. It is extreme malnutrition. This can happen with bandsters but it is not very likely. One of the posters here was saying that malnutrition was common in bandsters because a few had issues with inflammation in their gums. She was comparing them with the sailors who got scurvy. In both of these instances, these people are starving to death. Of course nutrition is always important, but starving sailors and anarexics are not the same thing. Just an opionion and not intended to be offensive.....

I have lost weight twice really fast in the past and both times i had a huge amount of Hair loss. My mom also followed one of the diets with me ( both high Protein low carb lots of veggies and fruit no sugar etc) and she also lost a lot of hair. Maybe some people dont believe hair loss comes with quick weight loss but I am living proof it can happen

I haven't had any Hair loss that I have noticed. But then, my losses have been very slow grrrrr. Also I do take ALOT of Vitamins :smile2:

hi,i'm a<35 bmier.the weight loss is very slow very aggravating.i was not on a preop diet .i wish my dr hasd done the Optifast diet.i have about 40lbs. to goal.1 year post band