Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg! Am I making this harder than it really is? I dnt know if Im going 2 b full off these liquids until my surgery on the 24th. How much do I buy, what do I buy? please help me

I don't have an answer for you, but I'll be watching this thread. My liquid days are fast approaching and honestly, I'm quite scared about it. Please keep us updated. :confused: Good luck!

I started liquids today. They gave me 3 huge tubs of Bariatric Advantage chocolate and vanilla. This morning I go and make a nice big shake with chocolate and put some Peanut Butter in it like the recipe said. I had to hold my nose to drink it. I ended up burping and the taste and smell made me so sick I lost my liquid Breakfast. Im not sure what to do. I hope somebody chimes in with some advise. I don't understand why we need to be on liquids? Why would a high Protein No carb diet not work to reduce the fatty liver. Everything I have read says that it will. Please Help...Starving....

Here are my answers to this same question on another section of the board:

You can do it! Sounds like you are on a 5 day pre-op diet?

I'm on day 9 of a 14 day pre-op liquid diet, and I am surviving. I have a Protein shake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and calorie-free, Decaf liquids the rest of the time. I won't lie, there have been some times when I have struggled, BUT I am determined to 1. not have a fatty liver 2. wake up from surgery with a band and 3. to do this right.

In the first week, I lost 17.4 lbs! It's so worth it when you see those kind of results.

I'd be happy to help you with how much and what to buy if you tell me your guidelines!

Did your doctor give you guidelines? It's best to follow those.

For example, mine were the 3 Protein shakes per day. Each shake had to have at least 20 grams of Protein and no more than 3 grams of sugar. That's it.

Since I had to do 13 days of Protein Shakes (Clear Liquids only the day before surgery), I bought enough for 39 shakes. Knowing I needed more for the 2 weeks after surgery, I've since bought enough for those two weeks as well.

I am on Day 4 of my liquid diet. It consists of 3 protien Soups, 3 servings of skim milk, 2 protien bars and 1 lite yogurt.:confused: My doctor requires a 3 week liquid diet with a product called Nutrimed. I had the choice of 4 shakes or 2 Soups. I chose the creamy chicken Soup which I have just come to digest. But my cravings are off the chain at this point. However, I know I can't ruin this for myself especially since i have already lost 9 pounds in 3 days.:lol:

Also, the nutritionist said if time get really rough and hunger is taking over that I can have 4 oz of a lean thinly cut lunch meat like turkey.:scared2:

Check out my blog if you want to follow my journey.

I'm about 5 days from starting my full liquid diet, but, I've been stocking up on Protein so far. The Bariatric Advantage was kind of gross (didn't like their Vitamins either). I tried the Matrix Syntrax 5.0 in chocolate and it's pretty good. I mix it with ice and a half cup of Water and a half cup of skim milk. I also use the Sam's Club brand of vanilla Protein Powder. It's pretty good too. AND, there are two things that I think are going to be essesntial to me surviving the liquid diet. #1. is my immersion blender (Cuisinart with a stainless steel shaft). It goes through EVERYTHING with NO problem and it makes the shakes a little thicker and MUCH more palatable (the colder, the better) #2. sugar free flavored syrups, the kind you typically see to put in coffee. Sugar free, no carbs, no NOTHING and my doctor's office said they were OK to use. I've been using the Da Vinci Gourmet brand and they LITERALLY have 50 flavors (I'm waiting for the cookie dough flavor to come in...). For what it's worth, that's my two cents worth!

I'm about 5 days from starting my full liquid diet, but, I've been stocking up on Protein so far. The Bariatric Advantage was kind of gross (didn't like their Vitamins either). I tried the Matrix Syntrax 5.0 in chocolate and it's pretty good. I mix it with ice and a half cup of Water and a half cup of skim milk. I also use the Sam's Club brand of vanilla Protein powder. It's pretty good too. AND, there are two things that I think are going to be essesntial to me surviving the liquid diet. #1. is my immersion blender (Cuisinart with a stainless steel shaft). It goes through EVERYTHING with NO problem and it makes the shakes a little thicker and MUCH more palatable (the colder, the better) #2. sugar free flavored syrups, the kind you typically see to put in coffee. sugar free, no carbs, no NOTHING and my doctor's office said they were OK to use. I've been using the Da Vinci Gourmet brand and they LITERALLY have 50 flavors (I'm waiting for the cookie dough flavor to come in...). For what it's worth, that's my two cents worth!

when is ur surgery? will this b ur pre-op liquid diet? I thought if its nt clear then u cant have it. shakes r thick n u cnt see through them-.? im so confused n hungry. hopefull 2morrow the 2nd day of pre-op liquid diet will b a little bit easier

I started liquids today. They gave me 3 huge tubs of Bariatric Advantage chocolate and Vanilla. This morning I go and make a nice big shake with chocolate and put some Peanut Butter in it like the recipe said. I had to hold my nose to drink it. I ended up burping and the taste and smell made me so sick I lost my liquid breakfast. Im not sure what to do. I hope somebody chimes in with some advise. I don't understand why we need to be on liquids? Why would a high Protein No carb diet not work to reduce the fatty liver. Everything I have read says that it will. Please Help...Starving....

how long r u on ur liquids n is this ur pre op diet?

I'm about 5 days from starting my full liquid diet, but, I've been stocking up on Protein so far. The Bariatric Advantage was kind of gross (didn't like their Vitamins either). I tried the Matrix Syntrax 5.0 in chocolate and it's pretty good. I mix it with ice and a half cup of Water and a half cup of skim milk. I also use the Sam's Club brand of vanilla Protein powder. It's pretty good too. AND, there are two things that I think are going to be essesntial to me surviving the liquid diet. #1. is my immersion blender (Cuisinart with a stainless steel shaft). It goes through EVERYTHING with NO problem and it makes the shakes a little thicker and MUCH more palatable (the colder, the better) #2. sugar free flavored syrups, the kind you typically see to put in coffee. sugar free, no carbs, no NOTHING and my doctor's office said they were OK to use. I've been using the Da Vinci Gourmet brand and they LITERALLY have 50 flavors (I'm waiting for the cookie dough flavor to come in...). For what it's worth, that's my two cents worth!

when is ur surgery? will this b ur pre-op liquid diet? I thought if its nt clear then u cant have it. shakes r thick n u cnt see through them-.? im so confused n hungry. hopefull 2morrow the 2nd day of pre-op liquid diet will b a little bit easier

I'm on liquids for 14 days pre-op and then 7 days post op. My doctor's office told me to stay with liquid Protein the 13 days before surgery and then Clear Liquids the day before surgery. I've gotten Protein shakes from Walmart, GNC and a place or two online. The doctor's nurse told me that the sugar free flavored syrups are fine to use, but, I cannot add fruit to them because it adds extra carbs. Here is the list that I have from my doctor's office (they said the most important thing was that the amount of carbs was half the amount of protein per shake) (also, every doctor's office is different and has different recommendations, but, this will hopefully point you in the right direction):

MINIMUM OF FIVE A DAY OF THE FOLLOWING:

-No sugar added Carnation instant breakfast made with double milk (double milk is 1 cup skim milk and 1/3 cup non-fat milk powder)

-Low Carb Slim Fast shakes

-Atkins Advantage Shakes

-Carb Solutions shakes

-Isopure (not sole source for the day)

-EAS Advantage

-Optisource High Protein Drink

For clear liquids:

-Tea

-coffee

-Crystal Light

-Flavored Waters, non-carbonated

-Clear broth

-Sugar free Jello

-Sugar free popsicles

Yes, that is my diet. Each doctor is different. There are 5 doctors at my hosptial and we all had different diets when we were in the Nutritional class. Mine is more strict :thumbup:. The other diets allowed healthy choice meals under 350 calories. I can only have 4oz of lean thin sliced turkey meat IF my hunger is unbearable:blink:. But my surgeon has had much success with this diet so he requires it. And I cant complain, as of Day six I have lost 11 pounds.

I am day four of a fourteen day liquid diet. The doc has me on meditrim only in chocolate flavor. I also can have 2 cups of vegetables through out the day.. I can switch up one of the shakes for a Protein bar from meditrim.. It is ok.. I have kind of cheated I guess cause I have had a popsicle and last night had a cup of chicken noodle Soup broth. No noodles just broth... I am definatley losing on this, but also have headaches, and no energy.. Which is not good with six kids.. But as of tonight only 10 days left... Yeah then I can go onto those other liquids and not feel like I have cheated..

I know it will get better just have to get through this... My hubby is being supportive and went out to get a shake for his breaky and lunch.. I love my hubby...

Yes, that is my diet. Each doctor is different. There are 5 doctors at my hosptial and we all had different diets when we were in the Nutritional class. Mine is more strict :thumbup:. The other diets allowed healthy choice meals under 350 calories. I can only have 4oz of lean thin sliced turkey meat IF my hunger is unbearable:blink:. But my surgeon has had much success with this diet so he requires it. And I cant complain, as of Day six I have lost 11 pounds.

Hi I am trying to attach my ticker and cant get it to stay. Which one do I use on the website from ticker and what do I do to attach it to my signature. Any help would be good. It keeps showing invalid file....

I am on day four of my 14 day pre-op diet. I am doing Optifast. I have 4 shakes a day and one creamy chicken Soup ( which makes me want to gag, but I suffer through it):thumbup: I find that I am not hungry, but I still feel the urge to eat!!! I am being banded on Dec 2nd and I cannot wait!!!:unsure::thumbup::(:thumbup:

Edited by Bobbie0918

There are 2 surgeons at the Weight Loss Institute I'm going to. The first time I went, I saw the surgeon that is NOT mine. He recommended a 4 week liquid diet of 4 shakes a day and one entree of less than 300 calories. When I saw MY surgeon the last time, we discussed the liquid diet. He wants me on 2 weeks liquid only. I asked him about the 4 shakes/one entree thing and he said that I COULD do it, but, it's less effective. I haven't come all this way to have a "less effective" diet......