Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 1/2 years out and maintaining a normal weight for the first time in my life!

Finally I’ve won the battle with my weight. I am in great shape and great health because on August 16, 2006 I got a Lap-band®®®. With the help and support of a great team, I learned how to use this amazing tool. I am maintaining between 140 and 149 lbs. Some days I wonder if the scale is broken. It’s been hard work, and it certainly wasn’t the “easy way out.” It’s been over 3 years since surgery. I’ve been maintaining a healthy weight for more than 1 ½ years, but I still have days when it’s hard to believe that this is really my body, the one that I live in.

One of my goals when I had my LAP-BAND®®® surgery was to keep up with my kids. Nowadays they have to keep up with me.

Looking back, I vividly recall the pain and embarrassment of being weighed in my elementary school gym, praying that the school aide would not announce my weight for everyone to hear. I started dieting at the age of 10. My days were defined as good or bad by what I ate.

I have been on every diet you can think of; I took diet pills for years; I cannot remember a year when I didn’t gain or lose at least 40 or 50 pounds. My hunger never went away. I always gave in. For me, dieting was like holding my breath, eventually I had to come up for air. I’ve always exercised regularly. I was a fit, fat person. I have thyroid problems and low body temperature and it’s too easy to use that as an excuse for my weight.

The irony is that except for my battle with weight, I’ve been successful at everything I’ve ever attempted. I’m very fortunate. I have a great marriage, two wonderful children, true friends, and I’ve enjoyed a successful career as an executive and officer in Fortune 100 companies.

I couldn’t have been this successful without the support and encouragement of a lot of people. I hope to pay that forward.

I've decided to blog my entire Lap-band® journey, from the time, I first started exploring my surgery, preparing for surgery, recovering, transforming, and finally maintaining my weight loss . You can find my blog at Gloria's Banded Living — My LAP-BAND® Weight Loss Success Story.

Good Luck on your own journey.

Edited by atgoalgal
more info/update to share

Wow thanks so much for sharing this with us. You have done so well, I’m so happy for you. J

Thanks for sharing. This is just what I needed to hear. Congratulations!!!

You look great and are truly an inspiration to those of us still trying to get to where you are.

I do my best everyday to try to pay it forward.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful success story with all of us.

Donna

Congratulations on your successful story. I am on the same boat, almost at my goal, sometimes I go over 150, then i go back into the 140's...But i guess I need to be more consistent.

I am happy for you,

I am 2 days away from my band journey to win my battle too.

To read your post is probably just what I needed more than anything. It edifies the hope and enthusiasim that I have in my heart for this surgery, and helps to erase all the stories of failure that those wellmeaning people constantly share.

God Bless you atgoalgirl, you have spoken powerful words that will encourage many.

Thank You!

Edited by GraciesMom

Thanks for this! I got the band not to lose the weight, but to help me keep it off...you give me hope! -BG

Dear GraciesMom,

Congrats on making this decision to take care of yourself. Your surgery date is the beginning of your journey. Do you have everything you need for your first days after surgery? Please keep us all posted. I have so many tips and tricks for how to use this tool along the way.

Wow - thanks for sharing. You hit the nail on the head about "dieting is like holding your breath". I have never heard it put that way before but that is EXACTLY what it is like for me. Thanks for that.:biggrin:

To outside looking in,

Wondering where you are in your journey. For me the band made the difference of "needing to come up for air." If you are early in your journey and want to ask questions, please feel free to PM me. I really get a lot our of paying ot forward.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Right now, I am still holding my breath!

I had my consult just over a week ago and now I am waiting for the follow up call from the doctors office. It was supposed to come last week but I guess with the holidays they are a bit backed up.

I feel like I am eating anything that is not nailed down! I would love to know what "diet" plan I am to follow before my pre-op diet.

I have to get an EKG, X-RAY and stamp of approval from my PCP for surgery. If the stars align, I will have my surgery in late January.

Hang in there! Listen to your doctor about any special diet he/she wants you to follow.

I would recommend making a list of your favorite foods and looking up the Protein grams and calories per serving. Some practices tell you not to worry about calories - so listen to your doctor. It's a great time to get really familiar with your favorite high Protein choices, and incorporate those into your diet. You may also want to start testing out Protein drinks to find our which ones you like and which ones you hate; you'll need those Protein Drinks during your post op period.

You may also want to think about whether you are going to tell people about your plans to have surgery or not. That was a huge decision for me. I guarded my secret, afraid that I would fail again. Now, I'm telling everybody, because I know I have found my solution, and I feel I have a responsibility to advocate for others.

Wow, you look so great. Thank you so much for sharing your story. On Monday I go for all my peliminary paperwork (pysch eval.. etc.) then it goes to my insurance. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I keep going back in forth in my mind, "Am I doing the right thing"... but I don't want to be regretting not getting this surgery sooner and living the active life I once led.

You look so great.... thanks again for sharing, Heidi

Congratulations! You are an inspiration!!

YOu look great! Hopefully I will begin to say the same thing..I go for my pre-op on monday and surgery on 12/18/09 :w00t: