Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat my entire life, will it work?

NLawlor, you're in bandster hell. It's a rotten time. You have pretty much no restriction from just the band, you're healed, you're feeling pretty normal .... and you can eat a lot of food. And you're scared.

Let me assure you, as others have, that it gets better. Your first fill isn't going to put you in the green zone, but it's going to start you in that direction. How much fill it takes varies from person to person. As an example, 5.8ccs is perfect for me; 6.8ccs is "close" for my best friend.

What worked best for me until I hit the green zone was to not count calories but to make sure I got at least 60 grams of Protein per day and eat three meals a day. Breakfast, I often had a Protein shake but now have a soft boiled egg and a littel greek yogurt. My other meals were (and usually still are) 3 oz of lean Protein. a vegetable serving, and a serving of whole grain carb (about 15 grams or so of carbs). I was told that the goal was to be able to go at least 4 hours between meals before I got hungry and that until I reached that point I should have a protein snack to hold me over. Something like a boiled egg, an ounce of low fat cheese or some low fat cottage cheese. That got me to where I am now. I still have that snack before I leave work at 5:30 because that's already 5 hours since my lunch and another hour and a half before I even get home to be able to cook dinner. It's a comfortable habit now. I can eyeball protein servings, don't worry too much about getting the vegetable serving to an exact size, and I know what carbs I can have and how much.

And with 80 pounds down, I am now losing about a pound a week. Bear in mind that how much you have to lose has a lot of control over when the weight loss slows down. AND, I'll tell you I had a spell a while back where if it were not for my band, I would have gone back to my old habits and gained it all back. But that little bit of plastic and silicone stopped me short. You eat too much, your stomach hurts. Don't want to do that again, LOL.

So if you work your band, it will work for you faithfully.

I was fat , since I can remember. Once in college I managed to lose a ot of weight then gained it back. The band works as long as you are willing to work with it. It takes effort, but believe me it's worth it!!

Good luck on your journey.

I too have always been big. I just gradually gained the weight. I was normal...ish until I was about 6-7 and then I got chubby and then fat. I played sports all through high school and while not "huge", I was definitely the biggest on my teams and one of the biggest girls in my school. I just steadily gained about 10-20 pounds a year for my entire life.

I'm 25 and was 320 when I had lapband surgery. I'm down to 248 today (Been banded 8 months), and it's the lightest I've been since my FRESHMAN year of college.

You're definitely in bandster hell. You will hopefully begin to notice a difference once you have a fill. Keep with the exercise. I noticed that the first 2-3 weeks I exercised, I lost a LOT of inches, but my scale didn't budge at ALL. Measure yourself and keep track that way for now. You should start to notice some change with the added activity.

I'm one of those people who has absolutely no idea what I'm going to look like once I lose my weight. I've never seen myself skinny, so I have no idea what to expect. It's a little scary, but exciting too. Use your band like you should, and you'll start to see the changes. Good luck!

Wow stringbean I know how you feel. Maybe not as dramatically but in 3rd grade(I skipped a grade and was actually about 8) I grew to about 5ft tall and 145lbs with a B cup...it was awkward. And sucky.

As for being fat my whole life, I've always been a little tubby but never normal. And even I have doubts about this elusive "normal". And I really went through a lot of times when I thought...ok 10....20...30 lbs that's all I'm going to lose. But the fact is, even though I still eat like a college kid, I still have burgers, chicken nuggets, candy....I just do it OCCASIONALLY and not buying a whole bag of snickers(and reese's and twix-yes I used to eat worse than anyone I know) and finishing it by myself(and that was after a Double Quarter Pounder with cheese meal). It's amazing how the lapband has changed my life. I know it doesn't work for all, as we are all very diffrent, but please give it a chance. Just keep your faith up. It becomes so much easier to turn down just that "last bite" with the band and thank god for it. (And by the way I was starving with the band until about my 4th or 5th fill: it's actually nice because with each fill I've made tiny changes to my diet instead of one big overhaul because I know I wouldn't stick to that) I was in denial before about what and how much I was eatting. I could eat and eat and never feel full and now, I know what that full satisfaction is at every meal :thumbup:

Good Luck!

I started packing on the pounds when I was about 7. During those years and in high school I was always about 20 lbs heavier than the rest of the kids. After high school I ballooned up and next thing I knew I was 313 lbs!! That's when I decided to change my life. Here I am almost 10 months later and more than 80 lbs down and I've never been happier. Even though I still have a ways to go I know I'll get there someday!! You will too!!!

Don't focus on the scale so much right now because you are in bandster hell. Just focus on changing your eating habits and "eating properly" with the band! You can do it!!!! :thumbup:

NLAWLOR, You are not alone. I was an average weight when born but overweight my entire life. Even when I lost weight, I was still obese. I am shorter than average so my max weight was only 320 #. i had a delay in my 1st fill also. It is frustrating but you will do fine. I ended up waiting 3 months due to insurance snafus. Went from 320# at the start to 217.5# today, Still am morbidly obese by all the charts but so much healthier, and for the 1st time I feel like I can handle all the bumps on the way; I'm not done yet!!

I have always been big, tall for my age, etc. I had my surgery a little of two years ago and am now at my goal weight. I am a 14/16 which is a good size for me. My frame is large, I was never meant to be little but I'm sure I was meant to be healthy. I am a foodaholic so lapband is perfect for me.

Thank you for all your replies. I guess I am just impatient to feel the restriction. I feel like I am hungrier now than before being banded. But maybe that is because I am sticking to the suggested portions. I am eating Protein first, etc. I am also working out now. After I go swimming I am STARVING! I also get the late night munchies pretty bad. I am getting so sick of cottage cheese :thumbup:

I have always been obese, since the age of 8. I am SO broad, been called a linebacker. I would be totally psyched with wearing a 16/18!

I was afraid of this. Everybody has had a time in their life when they were 'normal'. I have not been considered normal sized since I was about 6 years old.

I have NEVER been a normal weight. I have been overweight since I was a toddler. I remember being 90kgs (180lbs) when I was in grade 6 (11yrs old).

The band has been working for me. I have lost 20kgs in 6 months...to me, I barely notice it, and it does get hard to stay motivated, but then I remind myself that I have NEVER consistently lost weight before, so even 0.00001kg a week is a huge improvement!! :thumbup:

Keep u'r chin up, I know its hard, but we will get there!! :frown:

nlawlor, sounds like a pity party- we've all been there. I know how you feel, been ther, done that, then took a step back. If you were obese since the age of 8, before that you were "normal". When you get the restriction. and you can focus on the rest of your life , not food, you will have a different perception. When i get the munchies, I take a walk, go to bed, avoid the kitchen, go to the gym, find something to do, drink something (Have to wait then) - try it, just for an hour, delaying it can make it pass. Look at the big picture.

My BMI was higher than your at the start, I went from a BMI of 60 to 42 today, almost 1 year out. Focus on something other than food- I know you say you are hungry, but drink more fluids. Good Luck!!

Edited by sue in ne

I've been overweight since I was about 3 years old. I had the surgery in April, 2008. I've since lost about 190 lbs and now weigh a happy/healthy 133 lbs. It's the first time in my life that I have not been considered overweight that I can remember.

It CAN be done! Just make sure you are honest with yourself and that you familiarize yourself with things that might inhibit weight loss (such as eating around the band)

Best of luck :smile: I'm sure you'll be a great success