Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone eat bread or pasta?

my doctor told me that i have to give up carbonated drinks cause its dangerous and give up breads and pastas he says if i do eat it it can only be toasted or wheat and i have to be careful and only consume a couple spoons of it

does anyone eat bread or Pasta?

Giving up carbonated drinks is critical. Whatever you do, do not give into to them.

I am six months out and occasionally I will have 100% whole wheat Pasta or bread. The first word on the ingredients list must be "whole" for it to qualify as wheat. Otherwise it's just unbleached regular flour. When I choose to have a grain, I have to go super super slow, chewing really well and pause at least a full minute in between bites. It's a hassle, and I really don't crave the carbs like I used to (I was huge bread and Pasta lover), so it really is every once in a blue moon. Maybe once a month?

My Dr. recommended that I cut back on bread and Pasta, which I have, but I still eat it sometimes. I do try for whole grains, but have had white bread and regular pasta too and I haven't had any problems with it.

The last time I did Pasta was on labor day and got stuck so bad that I wretched up the pasta plus blood and mucus :thumbup: My stomach was swollen and sore for a few days after that, so I really try to stay away from the pasta. bread is ok as long as it's not real doey.

I don't typically eat any starches. I have on very rare occasions but it takes away from the fat burning process. I just don't miss them.

My doc allows carbonation, bread and Pasta in moderation. I used to always say that I could live on bread and chocolate, but I don't have either very often and don't miss it, probably because I know I can have it whenever I want (I don't feel deprived or on a diet). The 'toasted' does help it not to get stuck as Gummy things like fresh bread and gooey pasta can get stuck more easily so chew well. I just made a cassarole for the family with extra chicken, pasta and peas and I fish out mostly the chicken/peas in my small serving, but there was a little pasta in there.

My Doc said no carbonated drinks too. I have cut those out. Now - I am only 4 weeks in, but so far so good.

I do not have my band filled yet, but I had wheat Pasta last night and it did not bother me. I have not tried bread yet. But my Doc said I may not be able to tolerate it. At my support group that I attended last week - many could eat toasted break, but I really did not hear too many that could eat your typical french or Italian bread that you get for Pasta or sandwhiches. Bread seems to be a consistent problem for the majority.

I don't eat rice, bread or Pasta. Don't miss the bread or rice at all. Once in a blue moon, I may smell some pasta dish at a restaurant that tempts me. DR says pasta expands to a dough ball in your stomach and that visual has turned me off.

I could eat dry toast, even rice & pasta in tiny amounts per the DR once in a while. But I choose not to. Being Italian, pasta has always been one of my trigger foods. I have always ate two platefuls as a normal meal. (those were the days) lol

For me, success with the band, is based both on restriction and my mental attitude on how I now view foods. What I know I can eat, should eat and quanity.

I'm banded 6.5 months. It has worked well for me so far.

The lapband process is ever evolving over time. One has to learn to go with the flow and trust your judgement. What you eat today, you may not be able to eat tomorrow. What you don't eat today, you may be able to eat next week.

Listen to your DR and nutritionist and your own body. As a former overeater, I never listened to my body. I just shoved as much food in at a time. I only ever stopped eating when I got that bloated full feeling. Even sadder still, is to think that I thought that that grossly, stuffed feeling was normal. It isn't normal!

Good luck!

I don't drink carbonated drinks at all or Pasta. I do enjoy thin crust pizza every now and then. It goes down fine for me if I eat slow. I eat flat breads occasionally, like tortillas for fajitas or soft tacos. I don't do regular sandwich breads though.

have not tried Pasta or rice, but bread did not go well. Tried a biscutt 5 weeks post op. dont think I'll do that again.

I choose to only eat whole grain bread toasted, tried a toasted sandwich and just not the same thing =( Still eat Pasta but try not to do it alot as I tend to be able to eat like 1/4 of a cup more of pasta than anything else which is really annoying, also I make sure I cook it til it's really soft and add heaps of sauce, just easier to eat then - Also they sell kiddies ravioli here in aus lol so I eat them cuz they're tiny.

I paid several thousand dollars for my surgery as a self pay, I went through major surgery to help me accomplish something I've never been able to do, lose 100+ lbs and reach my goal weight. After going through that, I was going to follow whatever my doc told me to the T. It just wasn't worth it to me to go through this and not follow the recommendations. So for 18 mos I have had no bread, Pasta or soda. I have had a few sips of DH's Diet coke tiny tiny sips on rare occassion. Giving up the soda's was the hardest for me. Now 18 mos later I am down 128 lbs. at goal, and like my new size and body more than I miss those foods.

I might have a hard time with the breads. Pasta and breads are some of my favorite foods and I have always had a hard time getting in all the Protein I need.

Somebody explained the breads to me like this: if you want to make home-made play-doh or home-made glue, you start with flour and add Water. If you want to make bread, you start with flour and add Water.

I am trying to tell myself now that bread=glue in my body.

I am also hoping that, like a lot of bandsters, I will lose these carb cravings. [crosses fingers]

I dont have any trouble with bread or Pasta.

At the most, I would say bread is a very filling food, but I'd be way more likely to get stuck and pb on something like apple or raw carrot.

Pasta and risotto are my 'safe' foods when I go out to eat if I really dont want to risk any sort of pb.

I regularly eat fruit and vegies - in fact I prioritise them over Protein but they are by far the most difficult food for me.

We dont really get told to do Protein first here and I do believe you need wholegrains in your diet. But I try to eat more things like oatmeal and lot less bread and pasta - I might only have one or two slices of bread in a week.

I paid several thousand dollars for my surgery as a self pay, I went through major surgery to help me accomplish something I've never been able to do, lose 100+ lbs and reach my goal weight. After going through that, I was going to follow whatever my doc told me to the T. It just wasn't worth it to me to go through this and not follow the recommendations. So for 18 mos I have had no bread, Pasta or soda. I have had a few sips of DH's Diet coke tiny tiny sips on rare occassion. Giving up the soda's was the hardest for me. Now 18 mos later I am down 128 lbs. at goal, and like my new size and body more than I miss those foods.

well said and congratulations at being at goal.