Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hormel Chili Recommendation

In a recent post (that I can't find) someone wrote about Hormel Turkey Chili. I tried it and it is a winner, even though there are no Beans in it. The cals are up there, 190 per cup, but it is very filling and has 23 grams of Protein and only 3 grams of fat!! I also want to put in a plug for the 99% fat free vegetarian Hormel Chili which is also excellent and very very filling. That one has the same calorie count but 11 grams of Protein and a whopping 10 grams of dietary Fiber with 1 gram of fat. Each can has 2 servings. Both kinds have quite a bit of sodium and I am going to contact the company to ask if they have any plans on cutting back on it to make it more healthy. Maybe they will give me free coupons, LOL!!!!

Enjoy,

Mimi

The hormel turkey chilli that I get has Beans in it, I havent seen a no bean version of it. Where did you get it?

It is processed food and you are much better off making your own. You don't have to be a chef and this way you will know exactly what goes into it.

Here's a real simple one:

Tasty Turkey Chili Recipe

I actually have 4 small containers of homemade turkey chilli in my fridge right now. But sometimes with full time work and school its easier for me to use that if I dont have time to cook, though I dont get it that often.

Blueangel, I got the no Beans turkey chili at Walmart. I can eat it for lunch and not worry about making music!!!

I would like to try the turkey with beans, too. Yes, Btrieger, making one's own is best, but sometimes ppl like me are horrible cooks!!!! I am going to try your recipe though....thanks for posting it.

Mimi

Yes, Btrieger, making one's own is best, but sometimes ppl like me are horrible cooks!!!! I am going to try your recipe though....thanks for posting it.

Mimi

You don't have to be a "good" cook to make something as simple as chili. Actually, most meals are simple with a little practice and take less than an hour.

Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

I'm no organic food nut but if a food contains things I can't pronounce then I try to steer clear of it. :thumbup:

Also, if you may find that you enjoy cooking. It can become a hobby and take the place of a bad habit you are trying to give up or take your mind off of the stresses of the day.

Edited by btrieger
I felt like it :)

it is very simple to make home made chili. Just brown ground turkey,drain add your choice of diced, chopped or crushed tomatoes,an envelope of chili mix(I buy the store brand its cheap and just as good as name brand) and red kidney Beans and simmer about 1/2 hour. You can use your choice of beans or no beans at all. Make a pot full and cool and make serving sizes in a zip lock bag and freeze for future use.

If only I had a clean up technician, LOL!!!!!

Mimi

I purposely left that part out. The pots; pans and dishes sit in my sink afterwards for a week :thumbup:

I just made a batch from the recipe Btrieger posted. Of course I modified it but it was so simple and easy. I wish I had thought about the zip lock bag idea ahead of time, that would have really been wonderful and easy storage. Well, there WILL be a next time so I can put all these little tricks into use. I used store brand Walmart ingredients and it came to about $1.50 a serving. Ground turkey is not a cheap meat, but I felt so heart smart while I was eating it!!!! I had had a turkey burger before and it was mushy. I was afraid the ground turkey in the chili would be mushy, too, but it had the texture of ground beef. I was thrilled with the whole thing!!! Cleanup wasn't even as bad as I feared. I omitted the onions because of indigestion and it was still yummy. I wax poetic on the subject, LOL!!!!

Mimi

I also usually avoid putting onions in my chilli beacause I really don't care for them. I am another one who hates dishes and they will sit until I run out and have to do them, however I got them all done and got ambitous and made some food for the week such as black bean burgers, the bacon cheeseburger quiche recipe on here which i cooked in a muffin tin for individual portions and home made granola bars to take as a snack to work. All of which came out pretty good. Now I just have to clean up again.

I wish I had thought about the zip lock bag idea ahead of time, that would have really been wonderful and easy storage.

Ziplock also makes really convenient storage containers in 1 cup and 1/2 cup sizes. You can freeze and microwave foods in them.

I just make mine in the crockpot alot less clean up. I wish I could get used to the ground turkey but I just can't get over the texture. So I still use lean ground sirloin.

I will try the chili recipe with lean ground beef, too. Ground sirloin sounds absolutely yummy, Kimaly.

Kiz, thanks for the heads up on the smaller storage containers, too. If I ever get decent restriction, the 1 cup and 1/2 cup sizes would be great to have.

Gosh, Blueangel, you put me to shame with all the food preparation you did for the week. All so healthy, too.

Mimi

If you want to control your sodium, because some of those packets of chili seasoning has a lot of sodium in there, you can create your own spice mix really easily.

Use cumin, Gebhardt's chili powder, McCormick's chili powder, and if you like it a little spicy, add some cayenne pepper. Use garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Then add Kosher salt to taste.

I always go heavy on the cumin as I love the flavor of it.

You might also want to try the fire roasted diced tomatoes (by Del Monte I believe). Those add some really good flavor as well as just a bit of heat, if you get the ones with the peppers added.

If you like making your chili with Beans, use a combination of pinto beans, chili beans in sauce, and kidney beans. Of course, if you are making a smaller batch, you may not want to use so many beans. I always buy whatever is on sale that day.

Also, if you are adding onions or bell peppers to the mix, add them to the meat while you are cooking it so that the onions and peppers can get soft from the fat of the meat. Then drain any excess fat.

You can also use ground chicken (try to get the white meat) instead of ground turkey or beef.

Sometimes I'll use Tomato sauce if it's too thick, but you can always substitute low-sodium V-8 juice instead, which adds additional servings of veggies to your already nutritious (and yummy) chili.