Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you determine your goal weight?

Is it the weight you were last comfortable at?

Is it something you pulled from a medical chart?

Is it something your doc told you?

Is it a guess?

Is it a number you have in your head because that's where you think you want to be?

Are you not going by weight, but instead going by size, or "when I feel good", or something a little more arbitrary?

Just wondering. :(

Well im 20 and ive been very heavy since i was maybe 10. So i never have been under 200 in my teenage or adult life. but i figure for my 5'7" frame i should be around 150 to 170 i pray every day to get to my goal. I had surgery July 30 of 2005 and im already down to 238 when i was 297 just a few months ago. I saw a medical chart and it told me i should be 120. I would be a twig at 120 so f**k that!!!!

Kim

My goal weight is not the same as what they think I should weigh at my doctors'. According to the 'those" charts, at 5'5" I should weigh about 125-150, but my lean muscle mass right now is 150. Based on my age, my body fat should be between 25 and 35%, so that would put me at about 180 - 195.

I'm an Amazon

Anywhere between a true 16-12 is good for me.

I chose the weight that was on my driver's license when I was 22 years old! Back then it was a lie lol! The driver's license lady changed it to 230lbs from 190lbs. I thanked her greatly because I was 275lbs then lol!

I did mine by the weight charts for my height. It says my weight should range between 125 and 140. At my age, 140 is sounding mighty slender!

I remember being in my 20's (maybe, 22 or 23) and wieghing in at 140 and feeling so fat! I got down to 118 or 119 for about a day, but averaged out at about 125 for a good year or so. I promised myself I would never get above 140 again! Ah, to be 140 again would be heaven now.

So, charts, and a distant memory gave me my goal weight.

Like Vines, I figured 125 was ridiculous, so I chose 150 - but the last time I hit 200 I looked all right, so I may need to revise upward to 175.

as 150 sounds ridiculous for me.... My chart puts me around 155 ....

But I think 195 is the perfect goal..... Iys under 200 and I would feel GREAT at 195.. and IF I lose more that will just be a bonus..

I secretly will feel fine if I bottom out at 250#..... if it has to ya know.

They say we have the chance of loosing 75% of our excess weight.. so thats my average...

I started over 400 pounds... my skin alone is gonna weigh alot..

I will never look right.

At 195 I will prolly look 250... oh well

Is it the weight you were last comfortable at?............No...I never was 195,

I prolly was 7 months pregnant at 195, .... I had no clue until my baby was born that I had went from a 145 pound teen to a 230 fat mama.

My goal use-to-be 144, according to a bmi of 40 when I was 244 and I needed to loose 100 lbs. that would put me at 144..

In my dreams

2+ years... I'll be happy at 160. heck I'm happy now at 168!

I think age has a big effect, I'm 46. those that are under 30 have a greater chance of loosing more, my opinion.

I wanted a lower goal weight, I want 150, I've been there and I look good there. However my dr talked me out of it. He only wants me to have a BMI of 25 which is high end of "normal" (whatever "normal" means). So we agreed on 160. We'll see how I feel when I get there and if I'm still motovated then I'll probably continue on to 150.

The thinnest of my adult life was when I was 18 at 230lbs and I was happy there which is the reason for my mini-goal being 230lbs - I was pretty atheletic and a tad muscular so if I can only make it to there I would be happy - if I can make it to 200lb that would be even better - and if I can strive to make 170 - well it depends on how I look and how my body acts but I'm thinking 200 might be perfect - I'll have to wait and see but the ultimate goal would be 170 that way I have room to play with in the future for pregnancy etc. According to those dr. charts I'm supposed to be like 120 but I would look completely anorexic at that - it would be ridiculous as when I was thinner I was so much more active and had a lot of muscle mass - can't wait to get there again.

I'm 178cm tall and want to be about 68kg. I determined it like this - health range is 63 to 79kg. For long periods of time I weighed around 78kg. Was fat, honestly. Too overweight to be much of a runner which I enjoyed at the time. Before I got married I dieted down to 72kg. Looking back at honeymoon photos, several of me in a bathing suit, I think "oh, I'd love to be that size again" but I was still quite pudgy. I had fat arms and rolls round my middle. So I just want to subtract a few kg from that weight and I should be right.

My sister is an inch shorter and weighs 65 kg. She looks fantastic, womanly, curvy with boobs and hips but not bony or skinny at all. I think I need to be on the lighter end of the weight range.