Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone go to support meetings? Do you really feel that they work? I don't go but I am thinking about going but curious if anyone feels that they have helped or haven't had any effect.

I go to support meetings regularly. Before I was banded, I read on the internet the reasons why certain people are successful with bariatric surgery and those who are not. I have read and have been told that the successful ones attend support groups.

Having support groups is one of the main reasons I picked my surgeon. He currently has four support groups each month (every Wednesday). One is called "Eating Normally." Its run by a psychologist and deals with the issues behind eating problems.

The other two meetings have either a nutritionist or psychologist who run the meetings. The meetings are combined with people who have had bypass, lap band, etc. We have speakers (other members, plastic surgeon, the bariatric surgeon who sponsors the group, etc)

We also have a new lap band meeting run by a nutritionist. It deals with the issues related to lap band only.

I would encourage you to go and check it out. I have met some pretty amazing people and you share the journey together.

My support groups are only once a month but they are well worth it. I have already learned a lot from banders that are ahead of me. I also feel it helps me to have to check in at least once a month. I would prefer weekly but I'll take what I've got for now.

We have all sorts of guest speakers, clothes swaps, recipe sharing, etc.

I agree with LollyMoe. If I could go weekly I would, ours are only monthly as well. Definitely keeps me motivated.

Does anyone go to support meetings? Do you really feel that they work? I don't go but I am thinking about going but curious if anyone feels that they have helped or haven't had any effect.

I went to my first support meeting this month and I found it to be quite helpful. Ours are also only once a month and if they had them weekly I would also go. I do plan on attending every month. There is great support on this site but there really is nothing like seeing people face to face and hearing their stories and getting ideas to help you through your journey. I recommend attending support meetings to everyone. Some can make this journey on their own. Others like myself need as much support as they can get. All I can tell you, is try it, if you like it then keep going.

We have a weekly meeting, with 2 "focused" on RNY and 2 for Lap-band. In our area there are more RNYers, than bandsters, and we find that fewer of the band folks keep coming. It's been about a year that I've been going (I go to all that I can), and I've loved meeting a lot of people who "GET" it. Most I would never have met outside of group.

When I am not able to go, I find I'm not as mindful as when I need to give a weekly check-in intro at meeting. You do hear a lot of the same stuff over and over, but I asked a lot of questions in the beginning and loved having people who understood (not the doc, nutritionists, psychologist, etc.) give me answers. And hearing lots of different opinions...so now I like to help based on my experiences and still get support back.

I went to a number of support meetings before getting banded -- and found them very useful

BUT I also found that some people will eat ANYTHING and break all the "rules" and wonder WHY they are not losing. One lady had a salad at the meeting (they are held in a coffee shop/restaurant) and it was so big I would NOT have eaten all of it when I was NOT banded!!!! - AND she was drinking a liquid along with the meal so that it all went down.

With her being there I resolved NOT TO DO IT HER WAY - so it was an advantage for me to see her wasting a huge pile of money to keep eating

Gerry in Peterborough ON Canada

Banded Oct 8 2009

Start 300 Current 275

http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/waatA4O/

Edited by gerbear
adticker

I attended my first support group meeting last week and it was well worth the time. It is run by a doctor in psychology and it was a pretty diverse group. Ours is once a month, but you really get a good sense of what others are going through. We had one lady that came and she had regained 30 pounds and the group was very helpful in motivating her and giving her tips to get back on track. The doctor also gave her homework to get back on track. Sometimes this is just what you need.

My surgeon's practice also provides dietary classes and classes that help you learn about the psychological side of weight loss. I encourage you to attend any and all support groups and classes you can, as someone pointed out earlier, studies show that you will be more successful.

My support group meets once a month. I have a 160 mile round trip to attend. I think that attending the support group is very important and helpful. Attend one if you possibly can!:thumbup: