Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months no weight loss! Please help?

Hello to anyone that will take the time. I sailed right through the surgery and it was fantastic. My doctor took great care and I was back to normal about 2 days after surgery. He requires us to stay in the hospital overnight. I followed all the rules and felt absolutely fabulous after surgery. I started walking right away and of course on liquids for 2 complete weeks and then mushy for the next 2 and then incorporated solids slowly. After about the first month I was 11 pounds down! I was totally happy with that! But after I started eating it was no problem at all eating. When I went in for my first fill I was still 8 pounds down and felt absolutely nothing after the fill. Maybe for the first 5 days I really took it easy. 2 months after I had another appt. I had lost exactly 1/2 pound and it's because I was never full. I can't do it on willpower alone. He filled me (I'm up to 5ccs now) It was perfect for about 5 days and then and NOW I can basically eat everything and anything. There is no restriction! Consequently I've gained back all the 11 pounds plus and I'm so depressed. And calling this guy and trying to get an appointment is like pulling teeth. It takes 2 months to get an appointment. Luckily for me (after all this weight gain) I'm scheduled for next week! Has anyone else gone through all of this? I thought you weren't supposed to be able to eat much. I can take pills and swallow big chunks of food with no problem. Can anyone offer me any advice at all? I'm so desperate. I've called the doctor's office every week for a month but they "can't get me in sooner". Is anyone else having a scheduling problem? Should I try to be seen somewhere else? I'm really lonely about this because I don't really have anyone to talk to. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Also, when I go in next week what should I say about a fill? Tell them to close me up? I would prefer to only be able to drink liquids for about 2 months at least. :sad:Thank you

Even though nobody has responded yet I know that it is my fault. I really need some restriction. I'm eating the wrong things and too many of them, too. And although I knew this was to be a "tool" I really didn't expect to have to have all the willpower to get through this. I mean, that's just like being on a diet. I read and re-read everything before surgery and just knew that 1/4 cup was all I was going to be able to eat. That never happened. I can eat just as much now as I did before. I don't have the willpower and that's why I'm back to not losing. Still really want help.

Even though nobody has responded yet I know that it is my fault. I really need some restriction. I'm eating the wrong things and too many of them, too. And although I knew this was to be a "tool" I really didn't expect to have to have all the willpower to get through this. I mean, that's just like being on a diet. I read and re-read everything before surgery and just knew that 1/4 cup was all I was going to be able to eat. That never happened. I can eat just as much now as I did before. I don't have the willpower and that's why I'm back to not losing. Still really want help.

:biggrin: I really can't help much, but I just hated to see that you had no response. I have been banded since 4/1/09 and have just stopped losing weight. Like you I thought you weren't supposed to be able to eat a lot of anything, but I can eat a ton of all the wrong foods, but still have a problem keeping down the food I'm supposed to eat :) I have hesitated getting another fill (I'm only at 4.5 cc in a 10cc band) because when I was filled more I could not swallow my meds--and there's a lot of them. I crush them but still have a problem. Yes, I want to lose more weight (need to lose at least 100 more lbs), but what I want most is to be healthy--I am still taking a ton of meds and am still taking 4 insulin shots per day. Like I said I have no answers even for myself, but just wanted you to know you are not alone :(

I was banded in April and I know how you feel I didn't have any restriction until my last fill and I have gotten one every 4-6 weeks since surgery. I have about 9 cc's in my band and if I got another fill I wouldn't be able to swallow. There are alot of things I can't eat anymore at all and mostly eat fish. I'm so tight in the morning I can't even eat cottage cheese but the weight is coming off. I've only lost about 25 pounds since surgery and really had to work to lose that but now that I have good restriction it is just melting off. Just be patient and get in for those fills.

I lost very quickly...I lost 50lbs. in the first 3 months...and then gained 10lbs. and stopped loosing. It's a real pain to get fills. I have to fly to Anchorage, (I'm in Fairbanks AK) and it just takes a whole day of childcare,moving apts. yada yada,for a 10 min. apt..i'm in the gym 10 hours a week.I could eat ANYTHING i wanted...i went down for a fill last week. It was my 2nd fill. I'm almost 6 months out from surgery. I have 5.5 in a 14CC band...I'm down 11lbs. since wednesday. I can eat about 1300 calories in a day now instead of the 1800+ i was before this last fill. It's all about finding that green zone or 'sweet spot'...best of luck to you. Even with restriction,i haven't PB'd or slimed or anything,and i don't get stuck (yet)..but i still can eat what i want..just smaller portions...so before it felt like i didn't have a band and now it does...

Thanks so much for both of your insights! It is really helpful. I was wondering if you have a problem getting in to get a fill or see a doctor? The waiting is really doing me in. I haven't been tight enough to stop eating. Maybe this next one will be the charm. I wish I could feel the rest of the time like I do the 2 days after the fill. It feels terrific and I am almost euphoric but that fades in about 6 days. I read a lot of the posts from here and everyone seems to be doing great. On average about 10 pounds per month. That's all I want. I started at 233 on the date of surgery and right now I weigh 230 and it's 4 months later. You have been a great help for me.

And SCOUT My doctor told me to stop taking the Metformin after surgery. My blood sugar hasn't gone down at all. So even that has me worried. Take care and keep writing.

Trish

There are only 2 surgeons in Alaska that take my insurance,and they are both down in Anchorage...so when i call and say i need a fill,it's usually a 6 week process with getting travel arranged and what not..it's so stupid! lol Just keep at it..i had great restriction after surgery (dr. puts in 3 cc's at the time)..but after loosing the first 50lbs. the fat moves away from the band and it loosens...so here i am again..feeling it,but not at much,but i'm loosing,so i'll take it for now until it stops working...just do YOUR best to follow up with fills/unfills until you reach your spot!

Dont panic yet - its simply a matter of getting restriction. I must say, the older 4cc bands seem to have people at their sweet spot much much quicker, I found with mine, I had the right restriction for me at that particular time each and every fill. But i know from four years on here that its very very normal to take even up to a year to get good restriction and start losing.

till then, well you DO have to summon up some willpower. Dont underestimate yourself - you do have it. Maybe not enough to have 2lb coming off every week, but to start making healthy changes. The band has NOTHING to do with your exercise habits, for example, there's absolutely nothing to stop you going at that really hard and with dedication and that will prevent weight gain, if not see weight coming off.

Its a shame its such a drawn out process, but you dont have a "window" in which you have to lose weight or the opportunity is lost, when you get good restriction, it will start happening.

LOL Thanks so much! That means there is still Hope???? I'm also nervous about going into the doctor. He may think I'm an utter failure. I will try extra hard for the next week starting this very minute.

Trish,

Could your meds be hindering your weight loss efforts? I know when I was on my diabetic meds, it was harder for me to lose weight. It the meds are part of the problem, you may need to see if they can be adjusted or (sorry to have to say this) you may have to resign yourself to a slower weight loss. But, as Jacqui has said, there are ways to increase the metabloism and help with weight loss, exercise being a very important one. You will lose tho, once you find the sweet spot. Good luck!

Elgrad

Trish,

When I go in for my fills I schedule my next appointment before I leave the office. The first three fill appointments were 4 weeks apart. After my last fill we booked out 6 weeks; I'm scheduled for my 5th fill next Friday. It wasn't until my last fill (#4) that I really started to see consistant weight loss. I think I have a little over 8cc's in a 10cc band.

Hang in there, and remember getting to the proper fill level is important. We didn't have these bands put in for them to just sit there..... make it work for you!

Enjoy your day!

Pam

I know it takes a lot of people several fills to find the right spot. When they do a fill your stomach will swell which causes the sense of restriction in the immediate aftermath. Like they said, go ahead and schedule appts 3-4 weeks out WHILE YOU ARE STILL in the office... if you don't need the fill, cancel the appt. My doc wants you to schedule before you leave.

Also, the amount of food you eat differs from patient to patient based on your own stomach, 1/2 c is not the "right" amount for everyone. My doc said his avg patient can consumer 1 cup per meal and still lose weight.

Thanks so much for both of your insights! It is really helpful. I was wondering if you have a problem getting in to get a fill or see a doctor? The waiting is really doing me in. I haven't been tight enough to stop eating. Maybe this next one will be the charm. I wish I could feel the rest of the time like I do the 2 days after the fill. It feels terrific and I am almost euphoric but that fades in about 6 days. I read a lot of the posts from here and everyone seems to be doing great. On average about 10 pounds per month. That's all I want. I started at 233 on the date of surgery and right now I weigh 230 and it's 4 months later. You have been a great help for me.

And SCOUT My doctor told me to stop taking the Metformin after surgery. My blood sugar hasn't gone down at all. So even that has me worried. Take care and keep writing.

Trish

Trish,

I haven't noticed that going back to the Metformin has changed anything weight-wise, but it has helped keep my glucose lower. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go back to my doctor. I am more determined than ever to be healthy--so, yes, that means exercise too :biggrin:. Keep in touch.

Please be patient, I recently went through the same thing. I lost 40lb in my first 4 mo and then nothing the next 4. I had 2 fills in that time, and I did have some restriction, but I was eating the wrong things because they went down easier. I was also not exercising at all. A couple of weeks ago I decided that I started this journey and only I can finish it. I started journaling again and exercising at least 3x a week. I went for another fill on Tuesday and I have lost 7lbs in 5 days.

I also didn't realize how much of a support this website was, i hadn't visited in months and just coming back has motivated me to get back on track.

So my advice to you would be go back to the beginning...it helped me to kick start.

I can't help you but I am looking forward to see responses. I was just banded Oct 6. So far I have gained 6 pounds. Some say that is ok because its healing time. I went back yesterday for my first fill. They reminded me that this is just a tool and its up to me! I have had lots of tools in the past. Diet pills, Jenny Craig, Medifast and others.....If its up to me I'm afraid I am going to fail. Even after the fill I don't feel any restriction.