Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sue's whiny post about overprotective doctors.

Okay, I'd like to complain here. Doctors. Not all, of course, but many. Have they all read the same instruction manual? Do they stay up late nights making stuff up?

A few issues:

*Pre-op diets--There are some surgeons who want their patients on liquid diets or yogurt and Water only for two or three weeks pre-op. They say that they are doing that to shrink the liver. Well, humbug! When I first read that claim, the doctors who were actually running a study (in New Zealand) to see if that even worked had no test results. And, I worried about that. So I asked my doctor post-op. He said that yeah, my liver was fatty, but it sat this-a-way, as opposed to that-a-way, so it didn't make any difference, because it wasn't in HIS way. I wonder how many patients who cannot do two weeks on yogurt and Water are going mad and feeling like they are dishonest and how many doctors believe that people actually follow those orders. I'll bet (a substantial amount of money, if we can set up the testing correctly) it's WAY less than half.

*Post-op diets--Yes, we need to give the stomach time to heal. But we are individuals and we don't ALL need to go on a month of Clear liquids. Of course, we need to do a week on liquids, but ever-thickening liquids. IM-not-so-HO, we should be given instructions that include the caveat to go slowly, to try new consistencies for a few days at a time, and that any problem needs to be followed with a day of Clear Liquids, a day of full liquids, and a day of purees, and then resume the schedule, progressing carefully toward solids.

*Incremental fills--Almost nothing makes me crazier than reading about these doctors who fill patients according to a schedule, not according what each patient needs. "You're six weeks post-op, so you need 1cc of saline." Well, "big-boy-cow-poo-poo," as we say when the censors are watching. Some band patients NEVER need a full cc. And some need 3.2 before they have any restriction. Those doctors need to stop being so lazy, to pay attention to what their patients tell them and to fill under flouroscopy if they are afraid of over-filling. (Duh!)

*Not knowing how the band REALLY works--I went to one guy for a fill that never happened. He said that if there was ANY food I could not eat post-op, it meant I was over-filled. Can we say "Great big pony-poo," here? Many, if not MOST, band patients find it difficult or impossible to eat a few foods with the band in place, with or without any saline in the band. The most often mentioned foods are white meat chicken and poultry, breads (especially fresh, doughy, delicious, yummy brand-new--oh! sorry!--sourdough or other non-grainy types, rice and raisins and dried fruits and things that swell while in the stomach, that kind of stuff.

Well, then. That may be enough for right now, huh? Anybody else with favorites?

Sue

Wow talk about a mouth full. It is funny to me how some people only had to go 1 week where I was told 2 weeks on total liquid. I made it 9 day. I was starving for something real in my belly!

It was not like I ran out for a steak but it is crazy!

I only had to do one day before surgery diet. So I guess I was lucky..

I go next tuesday for my fill so I'll let you know about that one..LOL

Oh and the bread.Sweet bread..AHHHHH!

The things I miss at 5week banded:

1. Steak

2. Yeast Rolls

3. Arbys Roast Beef

4. A hamburger-with the works

5. Corndogs

6. pizza

7. chips and salsa

8. Burrito's

9. Pasta

10. Diet 7up

I guess that will due for now. Anyone else Hungry Now?

I wonder if I'll ever have any of those foods again?

Man- I really sound like a fat person now! LOL

Love your post, Sue - It seems things are completely different here in europe - the only "diet" instructions I was given was

1. eat only three times a day

2. do not eat more that a yoghurt cup amount size at each meal.

My surgeon didn't see the sense of a pre surgery diet but I thought it would do me good to try to exercise more before the op and try not to actually gain weight!

That's it!!!

In hospital, less than 24 hours after my surgery they brought me a cup of tea, and 20 mins later a yoghurt - a french "set" yoghurt (the type that you could tip out on a plate and it would keep it's shape!) with a sachet of sugar to make it sweet! As i wasn't given any further instructions I went by the recommendations of Dr Frerings dietition (he wasn't my surgeon, but I found the info on someone's site) which suggests liquids - ie Soups and compotes for five days, from the sixth day you can eat normal food - I am eating mushy type food at this stage but it's pretty varied and i am very satisfied, and not hungry until I realise it's a meal time! I know if i was on clear liquids I would have gone mad with hunger by now and eaten my body weight in chocolate or big macs or something!

Does anyone think I am mad to be eating so soon? I'm wondering if I should go back to Soups now!

Bright! You are not mad. You have a different band!

I've read enough about Frering and the MIDband and MorganC's experiences to know that the products are similar, but certainly not the same. (And Rumbaut included watery oatmeal at Breakfast on Day One post-op.)

Congratulations on your surgery and your choice of surgeons.

Sue

What i find confusing is that everyone seems to have different info about the same thing ( or so i thought, didn't know there are different types of bands!).

Before op, the only instruction was no food ( or drink i later found out) after midnight the night before op.

After, ice chips on the day of the op, all day, not even Water ( that i found out at midnight when the nurse shift ended and the night nurse was furious that i had been given water and capsules to swallow as soon as i woke up)... clear liquids on the second day, and 'nutritious liquids' for the next 3 weeks ( N.l. = liquid yogurts, Soups with no lumps, juices.....)

Now, I thought it was 3 weeks of liquids and 3 weeks transition, but my doc told me on monday its actually 3 weeks total before solids! (and I dont know if im happy or not now that i discovered a delicious yogurt and a wonderful variety of soups! how sad is that?)

I feel I would have liked to have clearer instructions though..... every meal is guesswork ( like today, when i ate a mango without blending it first, just chewed it to oblivion.... feeling overwhealming guilt-not for the mango, but whether i was doing something wrong, like having a small spoonfull of cottage cheese...)

now, cravings..... hasn't even been 2 weeks since the op, and I desperately crave steak.... and cheese ( all sorts, blue, parmesan, brie, velveeta, swiss, oaxaca, chihuahua, manchego, cheddar, fetta, ricotta, sliced, grated, cubed, melted... you get the picture....

and a question.... when are diet sodas safe again????

tellie

Sue: Tragically i don't have the Mid-band!!! I was banded in Paris, and have the inamed band! However, it has a capacity of 9cc and was filled to 3cc during surgery!

Now, am I still mad???

Tellie: I had no idea there were even so many cheeses!!!!

Now i'm craving cheese I've never even heard of!! :D

First off let me say Sue you rock...and I love your sensor style...very farmish!

I am one week and one day out...on Tuesday on my way to Milwaukee for my post op appt (1.5 hours) my girlfriend and I ran through McDonalds and sassy me got a Breakfeast Burrito. Ate about half and chewed it until it was runnier than yogurt (I'm on pureed right now)...went down well and didn't have a problem...told my nutritionist and she was fine with it. She said if you can start incorporating soft solids now go ahead as long as you chew and eat slow.

That same day we went out for lunch at a quaint little Mexican place...I had refried Beans with salsa and guacomole...also had about five tortilla chips...guess what...no problems...I chewed the Beans (I'm sure they were like...people usually just swallow us whole...LOL) but everything went fine too...and the salsa was even spicy and oh so good!

I've read all to posts of the preop diets and think they are ridiculous...I can see a few days to clean out your stomach but three weeks...good Lord!

I'm glad my nutritionist and surgeon are comfortable with how I'm doing...even though I may be progressing a little more quickly than others...it is an individiual game for us all and more doctors need to realize that.

Bright! Sorry about the band confusion.

Jennye! The real test is if you can hop on down to Racine and eat your way through a kringle. Oh! I'd love to taste a kringle. (Can't. Too doughy for me.)

Sue

Okay, one of my personal pet peeves is this:

2. do not eat more than a yoghurt cup amount size at each meal.

:mad: This is ridiculous. People should eat when they're hungry, and stop when they are full. Counting how many times we eat, measuring the amount we eat... All of that contributes to keeping us OBSESSED with food!

Do "they" (the "experts") really think that people without food issues "eat only three times a day" and "no more than a yoghurt cup amount" at a time? Do THEY eat that way? I think not!

When I went to see my primary care physician for a referral for my surgery, I asked HIM if he exercised everyday for at least 30 minutes, ate only 3 meals a day, kept his calorie levels at 1200 a day, measured his food, etc., etc. (he is slender). He looked at me sheepishly and said "No." He doesn't think about ANY of that stuff. He eats when he's hungry, and stops when he is full.

Everytime I hear

2. do not eat more than a yoghurt cup amount size at each meal.

I mentally put my fingers in my ears and scream at the top of my mental voice :o "LALALALALALALALAALALALALLALALALA" (I know, I probably am mental! lol). I start feeling hysterical :eek: the moment the words come out of someone's mouth.

Okay, I'll stop before I have a meltdown. :D:D I'll creep myself back to mental health with my mantra, "No one controls my eating except for me. There is no right or wrong way to eat. There are no "good" or "bad" foods. I will always eat when I am hungry, and stop when I am full. I will never diet again. I do not have to horde food. I will never be deprived. I choose a healthy lifestyle because it is fun and enables me to live the way I want to live."...

:D

JLHoogland and Bright,

You both have just made me feel SO much better! I am 6 days out from banding and am so ready for mushy food. Bright, I saw that you were having mashed potatoes and tuna salad and I almost wanted to cry! I am STARVING here! I have finally given in and started to have creamed Soups and drinkable yogurts which have made a world of difference, but this clear liquid thing is just such crap! I am salivating thinking about a scrambled egg already! I am slowly going to start trying the mushy foods, but I am concerned that I don't do anything to hurt the band. Thank you for helping to empower me!

~Lea

11/8 Dr. Sanchez

253/249/219 mini goal (less then my hubby)

P.S. - Bright, yes, you are mad, but not about eating mushies at this point. lol :D

I was able to do liquids for the whole two weeks after surgery with no probs, but I was not hungry at all - that's the only reason. If I'd been starving, I probably would have moved to thicker and thicker liquids on my own - not to be non-compliant, but to keep myself sane.

Since your doc gave you no post-op info... I would say if you can stick to super blended stuff for the next few days you should be fine. But, that kind of is at the heart of Sue's complaint - does anyone really know? What IS the real requirement?

:cry

donali, you hit the nail on the head.... "What is the real requirement? - does anybody really know?"

That's the problem! I am really happy with my eating, diet whatever - like Lea was saying, I'm eating mashed potatoes, tuna salad, baked Beans, risotto dishes, and it's great! I'm not hungry between meals, but I am worried about the internal "damage" I may be doing. I even had a toasted bagel with smoked salmon/cream cheese the other day - jeez, was that really stupid? I felt ready for it - I was thrilled I could only manage half of it, but now i'm terrified that I damaged my band/stomach/internal sutures or whatever!!! I went back to yogurt and Soup today but did have a few forks of tuna salad for dinner.... I guess I had better find my inamed book print out and go by that - seems like the surgeons/doctors want to cover their asses and present us with unrealistic starvation programs, we lose weight, nothin moves insides us and hey presto! they look good!

Have to say - much respect to all of you people who have survived on three, four or more weeks of liquids - you're better than i am!!

Mind you, I have lost 14lbs in two weeks - I put that down to eating enough, so that I have enough energy to actually get up and walk!!![