Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink soda?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink soda?

• No
    • Yes but my doc said I couldn't
    • Yes but my doc said I could

No. I haven't had soda since before I got banded. So since mid-July.

My surgeon said never again, he even told me no caffeine, which I am really bummed about because I LOVE coffee. I asked him why on the caffeine and he said sometimes it is not tolerated well and why would you want to put something into your body with no nutrional value.....and I said becuase I love the taste of it:-) He is a very all natural kind a guy.

Has anyone drank coffee?

My nutritionist told me not to drink caffeine because it stimulates your appetite. I used to drink tea every morining, so that was a challenge. I have found some caffeine free tea that I like, but I only drink it occasionally.

Yes I drink coffee, daily in fact but first thing in the morning only. I try not to drink more than that.

Doc and Nutrionist said no, so I've dropped it cold. I do miss the Pepsi, but in reality its not that hard to not have soda anymore.

My surgeon told me that I could have an occasional soda....but it has to be diet and needs to be flat. I figure that flat soda is pointless, so I havent had one since mid-October. It is hard because I was addicted to the caffeine, but the result (my weightloss) is worth giving up the sodas. I am not a coffee drinker, but had an occasional frappucino. Havent had any of those either. Figure that I cant finish even a tall size, so why spend the money. For now, it is mainly Water for me.

I don't drink soda but i do drink coffee and find that it does not stimulate my apetite at all.

I agree Daphne. Actually I find that coffee suppresses my hunger a bit. I may be in the minority however.

coffee seems to suppress my hunger as well.

I didn't drink soda for the first year but during pregnancy when I was unfilled, I started drinking a little here and there because I thought being unfilled, everything flushes through the system quickly and there is less risk.

However, sadly, my band slipped while I was in the hospital having my daughter. I had to get my band replaced in September. I had a badly dilated pouch along with a bad slip and the doctor said that the soda contributed to pouch dilation.

Anyways, I can now personally attest that there are unfortunate consequences to drinking soda while being banded.

Now that I have a new band, there is no question in my mind about whether or not it might be OK to drink soda. The soda never hurt me after I drank it so I thought I was fine. There was no pain with the damage I was doing to myself.

I had to learn the hard way . . . please don't follow in my footsteps. It was a mistake that cost me my health and about $9,000 out of pocket. I think I have learned my lesson.

Edited by HeatherO

coffee seems to suppress my hunger as well.

I didn't drink soda for the first year but during pregnancy when I was unfilled, I started drinking a little here and there because I thought being unfilled, everything flushes through the system quickly and there is less risk.

However, sadly, my band slipped while I was in the hospital having my daughter. I had to get my band replaced in September. I had a badly dilated pouch along with a bad slip and the doctor said that the soda contributed to pouch dilation.

Anyways, I can now personally attest that there are unfortunate consequences to drinking soda while being banded.

Now that I have a new band, there is no question in my mind about whether or not it might be OK to drink soda. The soda never hurt me after I drank it so I thought I was fine. There was no pain with the damage I was doing to myself.

I had to learn the hard way . . . please don't follow in my footsteps. It was a mistake that cost me my health and about $9,000 out of pocket. I think I have learned my lesson.

Whoa goodness. L I’m so sorry you had to go through that… that’s terrible. Yes there has to be a reason why a majority of Dr.s forbid soda after our surgery. I will definitely keep this in mind.

I do notice a difference in the feeling in my stomach after only a few sips.

I also drink 1 cup of coffee each morning and I find it suppresses my appetite for a couple of hours.

My doc said no carbonation ever again so I have no intention of ever having soda again or my favorite Mikes hard lemonade.

Don't really miss either of them to tell the truth. I enjoy the weight loss much more than anything I could ever eat or drink.

I WAS a total Diet Coke addict...however, I managed to cut that out a good 1 1/2 months before surgery. Now, I like to just let Diet 7-Up go flat and drink it that way!...Not sure why but it tastes really refreshing to me!!

I've never been a big soda drinker & after the surgery I was scared to drink any at all.

Until by mistake I took a gulp of my son's and it didn't bother me at.

I still don't drink them but if I wanted to I believe I could without problems.

I did however have a glass of Champagne in Paris last week... & no problems...

:thumbup:

I asked my doc this question the other day. He has a band, has had one for 9 nine years. He told me that it's an urban myth that soda will hurt your band. He drinks diet coke daily. He did say that I should drink it over ice and also that I should let it sit for about 5 mins just to get that initial kick out of there. I know everybody's doctor is different, but that's how mine feels about it. Haven't had a soda yet, but I'm going to try a Diet Dr. Pepper again this week.

I asked my doc this question the other day. He has a band, has had one for 9 nine years. He told me that it's an urban myth that soda will hurt your band. He drinks diet coke daily. He did say that I should drink it over ice and also that I should let it sit for about 5 mins just to get that initial kick out of there. I know everybody's doctor is different, but that's how mine feels about it. Haven't had a soda yet, but I'm going to try a Diet Dr. Pepper again this week.

It is a urban myth, enjoy a ocasional soda or beer just watch the calories.

I have had 3 diet cokes since being banded in September but have not had a night out with the lads on the beer yet which I intend to do over the Christmas holiday.

Everything in moderation is my new motto for life.

Not since surgery 10/15/09.I ve been drinking carbonated beverages since I was about 10 or earlier. While the rest of the world grabbed for a cup of coffee I grabed my caffine fix from the refridgerator in a can. My dr and research show its a negative with the LB. I thought giving up the diet coke would be my biggest battle SERIOUSLY . 35 days later and I amazed that I see it everyday without grabbing for the can.