Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Pass Out??

I posted this question in the General Forum, but discovered that it might be more appropriate here. :thumbup:

How do you do it? I'm worried that after I get the band it's going to be hard for me to get enough Water during/after exercise and I'm afraid of dehydrating myself (which I am prone to). I generally guzzle a bottle of water following a workout, but have heard that that won't be possible with the band. I'll have to try to take sips during my work out.

The thing is, I'm planning on training for the Rock n' Roll Marathon which will happen in June in San Diego, CA. Do you think I'll be able to keep myself hydrated enough to run 27 miles? Help please...

Thanks in advance!

I'm a couch potato, so probably not the best one to give advice. That being said, everyone is different, but I can still guzzle, though I pretty much don't any more. I'm not really a sipper (except wine), but I try to remember to drink slower, and stop myself from taking more than 2 mouthfulls at a time. Its still a work in progress.

You should discuss this with your surgeon. I wouldn't recommend a fill before the marathon and you could always have some Fluid taken out of the band just before the race if you have problems drinking liquids.

Good luck!

I exercise quite a bit and have never had that problem. Remember that everyone is different with what they can tolerate with the band. You must also remember the time to stay hydrated is before you exercise as well as during. Proper hydration is a continual process. If you drink the proper amount daily you should definately be able to drink enough while exercising without having a problem.

I posted this question in the General Forum, but discovered that it might be more appropriate here. :thumbup:

How do you do it? I'm worried that after I get the band it's going to be hard for me to get enough Water during/after exercise and I'm afraid of dehydrating myself (which I am prone to). I generally guzzle a bottle of Water following a workout, but have heard that that won't be possible with the band. I'll have to try to take sips during my work out.

The thing is, I'm planning on training for the Rock n' Roll Marathon which will happen in June in San Diego, CA. Do you think I'll be able to keep myself hydrated enough to run 27 miles? Help please...

Thanks in advance!

I haven't sipped water since my post op diet. I guzzle it, and it never gives me a problem. It shouldn't pose a problem for you unless you are severely restricted.

I don't have an issue with drinking enough Water while working out. In fact, I probably drink too much, too fast. And 27 miles!? You are BRAVE! :thumbup:

Hi:

I ride a trikke and have issues with guzzling Water in warm weather. I ended up buying a hydration back pack so that I could sip Water throughout my ride. If I guzzle it just comes right back up. But, if I sip constantly (easy to do with the backpack) then I'm okay. They're less than $30 at Walmart. Well worth it for a long ride, walk, or run on a hot day too. Also, you can put a beverage like Gatorade's G2 in so that you keep your electrolytes in balance during a hard workout.

Very brave of you to do 27 miles! Congratulations.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I too guzzle my Water during and after working out. No problem here. However, if you take a diuretic like I do you will need to be extra careful to drink more.

Destin2fly19 - I, too, was very concerned about dehydration prior to getting banded. I have a condition called diabetes insipidus--it's only related to diabetes mellitus (type 1 and type 2 that everyone knows about) as it makes me urinate a lot. (Basically, my pituitary gland doesn't produce enough vasopressin, a hormone that tells the kidneys to retain Water.) Though I'm on medication for it, I can get extremely dehydrated very easily, especially when I work out.

Since getting banded, I was relieved to find that I can still stay hydrated enough. Unlike a couple folks who posted here, I can't guzzle Water as much as I could prior to banding, but I have absolutely no problem getting a large volume of water in every day.

Best of luck to you!!

You have all been amazingly helpful. I'll keep in mind that cold Water is a problem to some and try to drink before and during my workouts (that's always been a challenge). The Water backpack sounds pretty cool too. :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

Destin2fly19 - I, too, was very concerned about dehydration prior to getting banded. I have a condition called diabetes insipidus--it's only related to diabetes mellitus (type 1 and type 2 that everyone knows about) as it makes me urinate a lot. (Basically, my pituitary gland doesn't produce enough vasopressin, a hormone that tells the kidneys to retain Water.) Though I'm on medication for it, I can get extremely dehydrated very easily, especially when I work out.

Since getting banded, I was relieved to find that I can still stay hydrated enough. Unlike a couple folks who posted here, I can't guzzle Water as much as I could prior to banding, but I have absolutely no problem getting a large volume of water in every day.

Best of luck to you!!

Hi. I have/had (?) diabetes insipidus. I would drink way way way too much before the gastric lap band op. I still have a problem with the kidneys, a "defect" as the doctor says, for years, damage done. Since the op a few years ago (2005) I've had to regulate the drinking, for example, drinking a lot Before eating, and at least 30 mins After. No probs. What about you?

I am a runner and have finished a number of races banded. i would NOT recommend getting fills before you start traning. Especially when you are building your fitness, you will need more Water then a normal workout, even a heavy one. The other thing is that you will be running for hours at a time and you need to deliver your body what it need.

Even a more important factor is food and fueling for long runs. you have to eat before long runs. Ideally Peanut Butter sandshiches, bananas and the like. these foods are not fill friendly. I just talked to my doctor today about running/banding issues. He has many patients that run and marathon train. He really prefers for us to stay on the light side of the fill spectrum. Still there as a reminder, but will allow you to get what you need in your body. I noticed that you are newly banded. Make sure to talk to your doctor about your port and long runs. I have been banded for years and it still givves me problems and pain on anything over about 10 miles. compression garments are a good idea. get used to them on short runs so they don't bother you.

Good luck!! You can do this!! Nothing will ever feel as good as crossing that finish line!! Let's share stories if you would like!! not a lot of support out there for running banded!

I'm only doing cardio, home treadmill or exercise bike. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it's ok to do the toning exercises without hurting my banding?