Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about not being a loser

I'm looking forward to my surgery on Nov. 23, but I'm nervous because I'm afraid I'll be one of the bandsters that doesn't lose much weight. (First time in my life I've worried about not being a loser instead of about being one!)

I read about the success stories and they are talking about working out for several hours a week and I just can't figure out how to fit that into my schedule, let alone pay a gym membership. I'm a teacher with a 17 month old. Walking 3 times a week I can do... But heavy duty working out, I can't imagine it.

Can I lose weight without doing the gym thing? If I start losing weight, will I have more energy/motivation to make time to exercise? Can any experienced bandsters give me advice?

Becky,

I can only tell you about my experience. I was banded in June. I had an accident 3 years ago and injured my knee, so I haven't exercised much since then. I can't exercise the way I should because of knee pain - so my exercise has been minimal other than regular day to day walking and cleaning, etc. I've been losing right at 5 lbs a month. I would love to be losing double that, but I keep telling myself that for the first time in 3 years, I'M NOT GAINING!!!! I have high hopes that as I lose weight, the knee pain will decrease, and then I can incorporate formal/regular exercise.

So to answer your question, yes you can lose without exercise, but it will not be as quickly.

Good luck to you in your new adventures!

Becky, I get up an hour earlier each day (at 5:00, instead of 6:00) and I WALK. I can walk about 4 miles in an hour but you can start out slower and build up speed with time. It's good exercise! There are books you can read about walking off pounds. I'm supporting a family of three and after a layoff a year and a half ago, I'm doing it on 12,000 less per year. Needless to day, there isn't a gym membership in my future either!

I've discovered that on those days that I can't get out an walk, I miss it....a lot, actually. Who knew? LOL

Becky,

First let me start with congrats on your surg date!!!

I'm gonna tell you the same thing I tell my family, why do you want to worry until you actually have something to worry about......

For me having a band was me making a statement that I am taking control of my life, from what I put in my mouth to how much I sit on the couch. I completely understand the time/money issue where the gym is concerned. My answer to you, walk walk walk!!! Put the little one in the stroller and walk, if the wearther is bad go to the mall and walk.

I've tried to make it harder for myself to make excuses and instead find a way to make it happen.

I started out walking during my lunch hour. I started by myself b/c I didn't want to have the excuse of my workout partner couldn't becase (fill in the blank). I walked almost every day and my boss would make crappy remarks about it all the time. I figured does it really matter that I walk at lunch and get hot....I change clothes and I don't see ANYONE all day long....so what difference does it make!! Since then I've joined the gym downstairs in my building with a girl in my office that way I can't use the weather as an excuse anymore...my boss is still snotty about it, but I just know that she's "that kind of person" and try to let what she says go in one ear and out the other (not always so easy to do).

If this is something you want you have to go into it know it's something you are GOING TO HAVE TO WORK FOR....if you can't afford the gym find a way to work out at home, you don't have to have expensive equipment or memberships to get what you need, and if i'm not mistaken you can even check out work out video's from the library.

What I'm saying here is don't worry about failing until you are failing...and if this is something you want then there is a way for you to make it happen.

Good luck I can't wait to hear about your SUCESS!!!

Hi Becky. I don't go to the gym much. I actually go though periods where I go ALOT (7 days a week) and then stop for a couple of months at a time. I still lose fairly quickly (this may be because I am very busy and have a pretty active lifestyle...I'm also a teacher!). We actually have a gym in our building (membership is built into our rent), so there is really no excuse for me not to work out. I want to get back into working out because I know it will make me healthier, and it will also make me more toned. I'm hoping that when I get to goal, I won't have TONS and TONS of extra skin hanging off (I know there will be some, but I can minimize it a little by working out). I feel better when I work out.

But I had the same fears as you, before I got banded. I figured, I had tried EVERYTHING else and still couldn't lose the weight, so why would banding be any different? But I'm 75 pounds down since the beginning of June. A lot of people also told me that I would probably only lose 40% of my excess body weight with gastric band, and I could just do that with a regular diet. Well I've already lost almost 50% and I have no intention of stopping until I get to goal. I think the key is being determined to succeed and not accepting any other alternative. For me, that is the only option.

Good luck!

If you have a Goodwill store available near you, I'd say go and check it out. Many of them have work out gear available, such as hand weights, elastic bands, yoga mats, and even work out videos or DVDs that you can buy for CHEAP! If you can do a work out tape at home, just add hand weights to the exercise. Or see if you can find ankle weights to add while walking.

I love Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos. You can choose from her 15, 30, or 45 (1 mi., 2 mi., or 3 miles) minute work outs, all low impact. She also has a kick/punch work out that is low impact. I love that one when I feel the need for some extra sweat.

Gym memberships aren't needed. They're nice, but not required.

Becky,

Taking care of a 17 month old probably gives you plenty of exercise for now. As the pounds come off, you'll have more energy and hopefully will look forward to doing more exercise.

I'm a card carrying couch potato, and because of bad knees and my weight, I found it extremely difficult to walk. Since loosing weight, I love walking, although don't do as much as I would like. My weight loss hasn't been as spectacular as some others, but I'm happy with it.

I've never had much success with gym memberships (go for about 1 month, and pay for 12), so I won't go that route again. I recently tried a friend's WII and got a good workout, plus had fun, so I'm planning to treat myself to one for Christmas.

Good luck on your journey.

hey, Im being banded in December and I have the same worry as you.

But i definatly agree with the above, that Leslie sansone is fantastic! loooove her videos, if you go on exercisetv.tv you can see her style of video and if you like them, you can download or buy them. I really like how positive she is and its all a gradual thing...

Her videos are easily personalised. you dont have to do everything she is, you can add weights and increase them and then increase the distance/time you do the workout for. her box set is on my wish list for christmas cause at the moment i have one of her workouts on my computer and i love it. getting right back into it.

Just wake up a bit earlier, do it and it will give you energy for the rest of the day, boost your metabolism and help your body turn your food into energy.

Best of luck!

Try Wii Fit....it's fun, it's something you can do at home, and it works! Make it a part of your routine...you deserve this and you'll do great!!! I always hated exercise and I started with Wii...now I actually bought that gym membership and hate when I don't go...I made it a part of my routine!

Becky, I get up an hour earlier each day (at 5:00, instead of 6:00) and I WALK. I can walk about 4 miles in an hour but you can start out slower and build up speed with time. It's good exercise! There are books you can read about walking off pounds. I'm supporting a family of three and after a layoff a year and a half ago, I'm doing it on 12,000 less per year. Needless to day, there isn't a gym membership in my future either!

I've discovered that on those days that I can't get out an walk, I miss it....a lot, actually. Who knew? LOL

Do you walk in your neighborhood or did you find a trail at a local park?

Would it be the same as using a Gazelle or treadmill for the same amount of time?