Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Hi Group!

Saw my surgeon three days ago, got a small fill (1/4) and feel what I think is probably the right amount of restriction. Occasionally (and this happened before this last fill, too) I will not be able to get anything down -- even yogurt gets stuck and comes back up. But then 90% of the time I can eat quite a wide variety of food. No clue. I do know when it gets "stuck" it really hurts until it moves one way or the other! Also have learned that t5hough it's counter-intuitive, drinking Water to try and make the food go down only makes it worse. I've been lsoing slooowly lately, like a pound a week or so (on about 800 calories a day -- go figure) but the inches are really coming off. Cleaned an entire wardrobe out of my closet that was too big -- that was fun. I'm going to sell some of it on ebay, give other stuff to goodwill. Hey maybe we should have our own clothes exchange! Going to LA tomorrow, will be there for 10 days diong show biz meetings and hanging with friends. In the past I've always felt that going on a trp and staying at a hotel meant eat whatever I want. Not this time. May the force (band) be with me!

oH -- RE MY $70,000. CHOKE hospital bill...surgeon says to send it to them and then ignore it -- my insurance will pay whatever. Whew.

BANDED: Jan. 12

NO PRE-OP DIET

WEIGHT WHEN BANDED: 255

WEIGHT TODAY: 222

WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: 33 POUNDS

I have not been on for a while, but think I need to get motivated so went back and read everyone's post since I was last on.

I am not seeing the weight come off as fast as I expected. I had no restriction after my first two fills. After the first couple of days I could eat anything. I got full faster but seemed to also get hungry much faster. I only had one time where I had something seem to get stuck and had the slime incident several of you talk about. It only took a minute or two and I was fine.

I went for my third fill on Tuesday and the nurse told me the band is about 1/2 full now. Not sure if that is more or less than normal. I had my first solid post-fill meal today noticed I still feel full and it has been about 4 hours. If this continues, I am thrilled!

I hope with this fill I can get a bit more motivated on my diet. I know my surgeon is conservative and does just a bit at a time. So far I feel my weightloss has been the result of total willpower and the band is not contributing very much.

I am not discouraged or unhappy about having the procedure. Just had a greater expectation than was probably realistic for me.

Good to hear how everyone's doing . . . I seem to right on track compared to those of you banded around Jan. 12. I've had one fill on Feb. 26 and currently have no restriction....am hoping to get second fill in a couple of weeks (if the doc's office ever calls me back!!!:lol:). I also deal with the scale poorly and have been yo-yoing with two lbs.....up one day, down the next. I'm still not keeping up with calories, Protein, etc., just know that what I'm eating are healthy choices--which I can keep up long term--just need restriction....still too much of good things! I think the first fill was 5cc in a 14cc band, so I believe I'm ready! :bored:

I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing and say hi! I was banded January 14th and I down 33.5 pounds. I have been stuck at the same with no loss or gain for about three weeks now. I have had 2 fills and go in for my next on Monday the 12th.

I think I must be in bandster hell right now, because I still have no restriction... and the scale hasn't budged in 3 weeks... I'm glad it hasn't gone up, but I think I need to get remotivated! Gonna read up a little and work harder!

Good luck to everyone!

WOAH!! I had my first true "stuck" episode this morning. I thought I was going to DIE! I've heard it was bad, but until you experience it, you just have no idea. I still feel sore from it and that was 7 hours ago! That sure does teach you to NOT do that again!

Yes, I just had that happen a few days ago too and it sure put me in my place! I even scared the dogs LOL! I am down 30 lbs but have been stuck there for two weeks. Just keep going up 1, then down 1, etc. I changed up my gym routine so I am hoping it starts moving again. The clothes are falling off me though!

I am hearing you guys say what's on my mind! I'm 11 weeks post op, and going for my third fill in two weeks. I'm trying to break out of my plateau -- looking back at my weekly patterns, I'm drawing the connection between weight plateaus and my pre-TOM/TOM. Argh. Not fun, but at least I have a bit of an idea WHY, at least. Garrrr!

On the bright side, my second 5K is in 8 days! :biggrin: Yay!

Glad to know we some of us experiencing the same things with the band I was banded on 1/14, but I did not get a fill until Mar. 22 (was scheduled for 2/25, but my port was so deep the surgeon could not access it--long story). My 2nd fill is 4/19, and I am ready. Funny thing is this weekend, I seem to have gotten tighter. I had no restriction after the fill, but these last two days, I have gone 4hrs before I was hungry and had to take smaller bites and/or slow down or I get the pain in the chest. Go figure:confused:

I got banded 1/28/10. Like many of you I thought the weight would come off faster. I had my first fill in late February with no restriction, at my second fill I was over eager and asked for 2cc's, which my doctor approved. That day I could barely swallow. I thought maybe the swelling was causing the problem and in a day or two it was relax and everything would be fine. After two nights of choking on my own saliva at night because I could not swallow, I had 1cc removed. I am so much better now! I can eat a small meal and drink lots of Water. I started at 286 for my first visit, 271 for my (after 2 weeks of liquid diet). Right now I am at 231 and can't get out of the 200's fast enough. 23 lbs. in 2 1/2 months is more than I ever could have done by myself (and kept off), so although I feel the band is working slowly, it IS working and I look forward to many months (and years) of the help it is giving me.

weight.png

Edited by Kate E.

Thanks for all the posts about being stuck . . . I had my second fill last Friday and am experiencing bad pain when I eat, right in the middle of my chest.....but if I take a deeep breath and really relax it goes away,so I'm wondering if I could be causing this to happen by tensing up while eating? Or is this just being stuck naturally with the band? Everything I eat does this, except for slider things. Your thoughts, please!!!!:thumbup:

I feel the need to confess. I have gotten in the habit of eating something sweet before bed. For a bit it was Cap'n Crunch, then I bought some sugar free Cookies but those still are loaded with calories and carbs. Tonight I got some more of the kids' Cereal and ate til I was sick. I did so good for 3 months and now I'm losing control. WHY??!!

Barb119- I don't think it is supposed to hurt when you eat. My surgeons goal is to have me eat small meals comfortably. Are you chew, chew, chewing? I have trouble with most meats. Fish is fine, but even chicken that I stir fry with teryaki until it is tender gives me problems. I am glad to hear that things pass, if I have pain it usually needs to come back up and sometimes I have pain when I take one bite too many any an stuffed- would never expect that after only eating 1/2 cup of food! It's hard to get my Protein first without meat. I am trying eggs a bit more and tuna salad- no bread...or scooped with a cracker. It is also hard for me to not want other things with my protein. I used to always have a side item, like veggies, rice or potato, now I still put it on my plate but after eating the protein I can't. because your food is still going down I wouldn't necessarily say your band is too tight. Maybe you need to stay on soft foods a bit longer and ease into solids. Just don't forget to chew and take your time. I get the opportunity to run around during dinner, getting this for one kids and that for another, so that makes me take time between bites. If I eat alone or with out kids I tend to eat too fast and things get stuck...even liverwurst- and that is mush once you chew it. I can't figure it all out right now. Hopefully it gets easier...good luck with your situation. I hope you get it resolved soon...you should not have to be in pain to eat.

First visit: 286

After calorie reduction diet: 271

After 2 week liquid diet (day of surgery): 254

Now: 230

HOWDY JAN BAN SISTUHS!!!

Just thought I'd weigh in -- pun intended -- with my own update. After my 4th fill, I think I found my sweet spot. Definitely have restriction (though oddly, not all the time) and get much less hungry between meals. My exercise is limited due to my rheumatoid arthritis plus I take prednisone -- an evil drug that works great but makes you fat -- so it's an uphill battle but...

I was banded on Jan. 12 with no pre-op diet, and have now lost 38 pounds. This is a freakin record for me as it usually takes me forever to lose, so I'm a hap-hap-happy girl. The best thing is, I feel that the band is a tool that will not only help me lose but help me keep the weight off after I lose it.

Have experiences sliming (how gross is that?), and stuck food (yep, reeeaaallly hurts) but the longer I work with the band, the less of these episodes I get.

Hang in there, mah sistuhs. We are the few, the proud the Jan Ban Losers!!:cool:

Thanks Kate E. for your comments re: my situation . . . I've put in a call to the nutritionist before contacting my doctor.... after the second fill last Fri., I've gone to no restriction to pain when I eat anything that requires chewing. And I'm paying special attention to really chewing before swallowing....even the smallest of bites. I'm thinking some of this is psychological as this morning I had coffee (no problems) then started a boiled egg and low/fat deli meat and before I got the bite to my mouth, my pain started...it's like a spasmn (sp ?) and then I take deep breath it goes away then starts all over when the food is swallowed....any ideas on this??? I went from a 5cc in 12cc band on Feb. 26 to an additional 2ccs on Apr. 9 . . . maybe too much fill the second time?

Cherilynn....good to hear how well you're doing!!! I'm thinking also of the weight I've lost as never coming back--- something, I've never believed before!!!!! Cheers! :cool:

It is so great to see so many positive updates here. We Jan Bandsters ROCK! I thought I would add my update as some things have changed since last time I was here. It's been quite a while since I last posted.

I am 13 weeks out from surgery and am down 45 pounds. I have begun working out pretty regularly for the last 3 weeks or so. (every other day) This week I started back to the gym once per week with a trainer. I am scheduled for my FIRST fill on 5/6. I recently hit a plateau and hovered between 3 pounds up and down for about 10 days. I am now able to eat more than the 6-7 ounces per meal and don't get that feeling of being full or having to stop. In fact, I could eat WAY more than that so I figure it's time. However, I still feel pretty full between meals except for dinner time. That is the time when I could eat a house.

I hope everyone is coping well with the new exciting changes that have come our way since surgery. I sure an enjoying buying some smaller sized clothes and am loving the way I am looking in the new duds!

Take care!

Claricey :thumbup: