Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 quick questions - b12 & gallbladder

i have two very quick questions to ask before i go and see my dr on friday.

1. i have had my gallbladder removed - will this be an issue getting approved for surgery?

2. i have B12 deficiency. will this go against me?

many thanks in advance :cursing:

1. Not at all. Heck, you might consider it a plus, as sometimes the gall bladder goes on the fritz after major weight loss. I had to have mine removed several years ago too, and it wasn't a factor in getting my band.

2. Sorry, I don't know about the B12 deficiency.

(p.s. Welcome to LBT)

As for the B12, I think all surgeons put post-ops on B12 supplements as a precaution, but having a deficiency would just reinforce the need for supplementation, IMO. I don't think it would prevent your surgery from happening.

I am being banded next Thursday, Oct 29th. I do not know about the Gall Bladder, but I was also diagnoses as being B1 deficient and just told to take B1 supplements.< /p>

Had my gallbladder removed in 1984. The only potential hitch, which my surgeon pointed out, is that I had open removal (where they cut you almost from your sternum down to your appendix). That left behind a significant scar and there was the slight risk that the scar tissue could get in the way. But I had not problems from it.

If you're B12 deficieint, why not start taking B12 supplements NOW? It is bound to make you feel better. BUT I don't think the routine metabolic panel that is part of the pre-op testing reflects B12.

cathy, i too had a big incision when they took my gallbladder out - the surgeon said he had problems inflating my stomach to do the keyhole surgery, even though back then i was only about 154 lbs! i think he was just lazy, to be totally honest. don't they use keyhole surgery to do the lapband? i am twice the size i was back then!

thanks for all your replies - i am sure i have many more questions to come. i'm really happy to have found this board :lol: