Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and wanted to say hi. So what should I share?

I'm a 29 y/o female here to research and possibly more if things progress, so I hope you don't mind me as I poke, prod, and pry for any and all information I can get my hands on!

I've been struggling with my weight for about 13 years. I can lose the weight, but I can't keep it lost, and it always shows back up & has brought a few friends! In the last year I've seen a high (lifetime) of 360 and a low around 280 -- I'm 5'10. I've had the notion of WLS in the back of my head for about 4 years, but have only recently in the last year or so given it any real thought, and again only in the last 3 or 4 months seriously considered it. I'm now considering it seriously enough to seek out the information, so I guess the downward slope is getting steeper. smile.gif

I've done a lot of logistics research - what it is, how it works, how it fails... but I need to research the human factor - what it's like to LIVE with it, what the impact is, etc., and thus I'm making introductions!

I'm as beginner as it gets. I haven't even discussed this with my doc, just DH, my mother, and a few friends that have also had varying types of WLS. From what I've read I may not even be a candidate, so we'll see what happens.

So for now just consider me the pesky fly that you can't quite swat away. I'll be asking questions, nosing in on conversations, and sticking my hands into as many cookie jars as I can find!

So for now just consider me the pesky fly that you can't quite swat away. I'll be asking questions, nosing in on conversations, and sticking my hands into as many cookie jars as I can find!

Good for you! It gets so busy on here sometimes, you just gotta get pushy and get your questions answered. Chime on in, most folks are happy happy happy to share.

Why would you NOT be a candidate? Just curious. So, sit right down, put your feet us and make yourself at home. Ask away!!!

And welcome to LBT!

Welcome to LBT!! I think you have come to the right place to find answers and great suport. Good Luck in your research and with making your desicion to get your band!!

Why would you NOT be a candidate? Just curious.

I have no real medical backing for that possibility, it's just based on things I have read & been told by others who have been through similar procedures -- anecdotes, really. In short -- I have no comorbidities, at least not that I or my current doc are aware of. For all intents & purposes I'm very healthy, but morbidly obese -- if that's not too much of an oxymoron! And I live an active lifestyle - no mobility issues: I play sports, I take martial arts, I scuba dive, I walk -- and I eat too much of the wrong things, and I have a damned hard time losing weight no matter how hard I work at it.

A friend once asked her bypass surgeon about me, in passing, and he told her that I sound like "the perfect cadidate in terms of health and outlook for a strong & quick recovery, but possibly the least likely to be approved." I guess I'll just have to wait and see, depending on what I end up doing. Anyway - I read so much that says you need comorbidities for approval, but except for having tonsils & adenoids out at age 2, I've never had surgery... aside from ear infections & the regular bumps & breaks I've never been on prescription meds... but what they don't get is *I want to keep it that way*!!!!

The only health-related thing I know of is that from my skinny days, when I was a sports nut, I have a torn ligament and cartiledge in my knee that has never been fixed (Dr's choice). Added weight is a HUGE stressor on that already damaged tissue, and my doc has confirmed that losing weight would help - but it's a joint, not my life (yet), and I don't know how much that would matter to my life insurance co. (I have United Health Care PPO).

Now if weight alone is a qualifier, I may be in good standing!

It was nice to "meet" all of you, and if you have any advice or similarities to my situation, please share! Like I said - it took 4 years to get to the point where I would even consider this, and it won't really be GOOD news if I can't even qualify! :)

Wheetsin. You didn't state your current weight, just the range, so I did your BMI with a weight of 300lbs, and it's 43. If your weight is 260, it's 37.3.

Here's what the insurance companies say. If your BMI is over 40, you qualify. If your BMI is over 35 and you have 2 co-morbidities, you qualify. Co-morbidities could be high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, even borderline diabetes (maybe needing meds for it) joint pain, back pain, a host of other weight-related health issues. You doc should document anything and everything.

I have also heard that UHC is great about paying for Lap Band if you qualify, so I would definately move forward NOW, even if you decide against it in the next few months. Should you decide to go ahead, you will have saved yourself months of waiting.

My BMI was 37-38 when I was banded. But I went to MX so it was definately not a problem. I went to www.ObesityHelp.com and used their BMI calculaotr, if you want to enter your current weight and get an accurate BMI. Once you know that magic number, you will know how to proceed.

Keep asking!!

According to http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ my BMI is 48.1, using a height of 5'10 and a weight of 335 (according to home scale).

I am planning to attend an information session, I just need to call a local doc and find out when they are. DH is already insisting on coming with me, so hopefully that could help get some of his questions answered, too - and help him feel a little calmer about it. (He isn't against it, shares a lot of the thoughts & feelings I'm also currently battling, but he wants me to stay healthy & thinks that's worth just about anything...)

Wheetin ~It really sounds like you will have a good suport system from your husband. Thats gonna help alot! I think you have a good chance of qualifying... keep researching and take it to the next level.

If you have knee problems that is 1 deffinate comorbity. Go to your primary care Dr. and get a physical. You could have high cholesterol or blood pressure that if dr documents you can show as comorbities. You will never know what your outcome will be till you take it to the next step. Your bmi qualifys already... thats one step you know will qualify. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

My husband has been great! I really appreciate the way he has stuck with me this entire time.

I had a physical 4 months ago. Cholesterol was fine, blood pressure was right on target, etc. She did tell me I needed to lose weight (really?!?), but that otherwise I had a clean bill of health.

So - I think I'm being a big baby now. I spent too many hours on this site yesterday and learned about BPs! I didn't know that was in issue with this procedure! Eek! There are three things in life that can make my blood curdle: spiders, needles, and tossing my cookies! I avoid all of the above at all costs! That's (a small) part of why this procedure appealed to be in the beginning -- I was told that wasn't an issue with lapband! So help calm my nerves -- is that something everyone will experience, period? Is that something some experience, but some never do? Does it depend on your fill & eating habits (chewing, eating slowly, not overeating, etc.)? My skin is crawling at the thought of irping my own saliva. :)

Aw, wheetsin, don't worry about the dreaded PB (productive burp). It is a sort of "right of passage" for bandsters, however.

My first PB was 5 days post-op and it was Jello. Yeah, Jello. I was suffering from a bad case of the post-op stoma swelling (some folks get it worse than others...I got it) that eventually took me to the hospital for IV fluids. I felt terrible, dehydrated, yuck. Anyhow, I chowed a piece of jello from the side of the bowl...the thick stuff, you know? and I just swallowed it, not even thinking. Well, it got stuck. I knew all about PB's from my research so I knew what was happening but the pain was a little surprising, it hurt! Then I stood at the sink thinking, "this is it, this is the PB theyv'e been talking about. It's really happening, dear God, make it go down!!!!!!!!" then the surprise happened. I wasn't expecting the wave of nausea to go down my face like it did, then Urp. It's not vomit like you think. It's slime-y saliva and mine was pink and sweet from the jello. The relief was instant. I have PB'd a few times since then but if you are careful, chew well, eat slowly, take small bites, it really is manageable. Yes, there are a few very careful bandsters who have managed to avoid it altogether, but for the most part, you have at least one. That's usually enough to do ya.

And it does have to do with your fill level, too. When I'm tight, I'm lots more likely to get careless and PB something. But it's also a sign of just too tight altogether. If you PB every meal, you are too tight. Plus, when you do PB, you should go to liquids for 24 hours to give your stoma a rest, otherwise it goes round and round...PB causes swelling, eat, still swollen, another PB, more swollen...so you have to go to liquids to rest and reduce any swelling the PB caused.

It doesn't seem to be the same throw-up issue RNY folks have when they have overstuffed their pouch, although one time I did take one too many bites of chicken salad and THAT bite came back. So maybe it is similar? I don't know much about the RNY issues.

Don't panic though. PB's are pretty avoidable and if it really is a blood curdler for you, you'll do well because you will be so careful.

Tell hubby we are proud of him for being a good supporter. Your BMI should be all the ammo you need. Proceed, you have until they wheel you into the operating room to back out so even if you haven't made the commitment yet, you'll be glad you went ahead and moved forward if you opt for the Lap Band. Good luck!