Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

O.K. Whats the Deal

I guess I was not that prepared before I went into the surgery. Don't laugh everyone but I thought once you got the lap band you were going to lose weight. Now that I read all the posts, I have come to the realization that this is not the case for everyone and people gain it back. I was banded on 9-29-2009 and am freaked out. I did not go through this to gain it back in two years. I also am reading about getting stuck lap band problems etc. I try to focus on all the positive posts but the other posts scare me. I have lost 20 pounds but that is from sheer starvation liquids only. I went out with my sister and her friend to the mall today and they had lunch at islands while I waited outside and sipped my slimfast shake that really sucked for me, but I got myself in this position. Right now I feel like everywhere I go I am being deprived . I can not eat with my daughter at the table it is too hard forget going into a resteraunt . I went to costco with my sister and had to leave and wait for her in the parking lot it was just to hard. Tell me it gets better. I am on mushies in a few days and can not wait. My Doctor just said blend meats ,veggies anything in a blender however I am scared to do this I am terrified of getting stuck after reading the posts. I am looking at the psotss with food recipies but I guess I am afraid of the unknown the next steps in each food stage. Thanks for letting me vent

The band is not a magic answer to weight loss. It is a tool for you to use in connection with your own self control. Most people do lose weight! When you read the "horror" stories, remember that there many many people that are successful and happy to have the band.

Right now, you are in a very difficult time frame....some call it Bandster's Hell. It's mostly up to you right now. Once you get your fills and reach your sweet spot, the weight will come off. I'm not sure about gaining it back. Some of my friends are very successful with the band and they are out more than three years.

Please don't give up. Learn all you can, take some of it with a grain of salt, and continue to remember that most people are going to post the bad things and forget to come back to post good news.

You can do it. Work hard and let your band help you.

Of course it gets better, dont worry!

After you're all healed up, you will be able to eat socially again, you'll eat with others, hopefully choose the healthier options and simply stop when you're full.

Maybe I was lucky, i didnt have too many food issues aside from plain overeating and being greedy and apart from volume, my eating habits were reasonably healthy. So I find now, my life is exactly as it was before, I eat the same way but less. I leave half of a restaurant meal on my plate (and they're not as big here in Australia as they are in America, lol). But I eat whatever I want to in all sorts of situations.

Did your Dr. tell you that 100% of the people lose weight and keep it off? The statistics show somewhere between 46 and 60% lose weight and maintain it. From what I gather most lose a significant amount of weight and keep a good portion of people keep most of it off. Look at the odds. Those that are 100lbs or more overweight have a 5% or less chance losing and maintaing their weight loss. I will take my chances with the band.

Greg

I knew with the band you don't typically lose as much with the bypass, but the bypass didn't appeal to me. Search the internet for some pureed receipes. I was only on liquids for 3 days post op. I start today on mushies (pureed). I wonder why you have to be on liquids so long. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I had to be on Clear Liquids for 8 days prior to surgery. Now that was a struggle. Good luck, and it will get better.

Linda G

Don't sweat over the bad stuff like stuff getting stuck. It happens but the great thing about this site is that you know it happens to everyone and we're still all here and moving forward. Like someone said above, you're in the middle of the worst it get's right now. Everything is win win for you from here on. Occationally, you'll be on liquids after fills, but you'll be use to it then, you'll be eating less then, you'll get through it 100x easier than you are now and you'll be thinner than than now to prove it.

Re: Costco; I was there yesterday and cruised through the place and chose a couple of the higher Protein samples to eat. I think I had two or three of the little bitty paper cups full of stuff. That completely filled me up and I was fine till dinner. Very cool. You'll eat and get full and you won't be on the prowl like you are now. It's all better from here on.

My nut said that the 18 months mark is the make or break point for most WLS people. In the meantime, we have to opportunity to reshape how we think, how we view life (with and without food). Why do so many "good times" involve food? I am close to 4 weeks post-op... and gearing up for my mushies (my doc required 4 weeks liquid proteins)... ok, the truth, I've been eating mushies here and there... lovin' me some riccotta cheese with marinara suace topped with mozzerrella... I eat 2 oz and have to back away from the table - whew! hahaha. My (limited) recommendations?: Take small bites (baby spoon), chew-chew-chew, eat slowly. Besides you really shouldn't have restriction yet anyway, that doesn't happen (from what I've read) until at least a couple of fills, if not 3 - 4 fills later. It's ok to vent! Come here to vent! Chances are, if you're going through it, someone else has too.

Keep it simple and make it easier on YOU. Until you adjust don't eat with others, let your sister eat after you go home. Early is hard sometimes, your mind has to get on board with what you have done and what you have yet to do. Give it time because it does come.

The band is the tool, but your mind is the magic. I started making adjustments to how I ate when I made up my mind to have surgery. I need to fully understand what I am trying to do so I go slow with things. I am in the pool hall with junk 3-4 nights a week. Wings, chips, nachos yeah real struggle all the time. At first I ate before I left home and would have a thermo of skim milk in car and slimfast powder on me just in case. I drank gallons(it seemed) of Water just to keep my mouth full.

You'll do fine and soon have a routine of what you can eat and like to eatl Hell when I go to 'costco I get the frozen yogurt for my dinner!! It's about the healthiest thing there and does have some nutrtion and it's a great occasional treat and tastes great. Plus it goes down so smoothly!!