Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone pissed off??

Pissed off? Yep, I can sympathize with that emotion! I feel that I can accept almost anything if it is explained to me, and I can see the reason for it. This entire surgery escapade has been riddled with "no information given." When I look back over the last 6 weeks, it seems like 6 months.

1. I have been deathly sick...."we didn't tell you that could happen?" NO.

2. I have been so hungry that I had to leave a church service because my stomach was growling so badly....."we didn't tell you that you would be hungry?" NO NO NO

3. I am now on my 3rd fill. I have ZERO restriction...."we didn't tell you that it could take up to a year to get the proper restriction?" HELL NO!

4. Why didn't I lose any weight again?" "Because your food journal shows that you have been eating cream of chicken Soup. Why?" I hate cream of chicken soup, but I ate it everyday because that is what my information sheet said to do. When I showed them that, they couldn't imagine why that incorrect information was still in circulation.

5. When I asked how in the heck I am supposed to lose weight with zero restriction, they said "alot of our patients go on Weight Watchers." What???????? Why on earth would I have gone through all of this just to go on WW?

I asked the right questions. I seriously did. I just feel like I got sold a bill of goods on this one. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing people that have had the LAP-BAND® and lost 70 pounds or more. If I can do that, I will at least feel like it hasn't been a total waste no matter how crazy the road there is.

Thank you for posting this because I thought I was going crazy. I was banded on July 31st and have lost 26 pounds since. But that's it. I've been watching my calorie count and even purchased an Elliptical from HSN, on flex pay of course. Been using that since the purchase which is about a week now but still no weight lost.

I feel like a failure because I put my body through this and i'm still at the same place without the band.

I received my first fill about three weeks ago and still feel hungry. Now I have my family watching me like a freaking Hawk because they were against me having the surgery in the first place.

How can I get past this I'm still 26 pounds down and the scale will not move. This is pissing me off to the point where I'm crying.

And no one told me that I would have to go on Weight watchers or Atkins to loose the weight after the band. I did those things before surgery and failed at it, so now I've failed at being banded? WTF!!!

I AM PISSED, BUT I'M REALLY TRYING NOT TO BE! The responsibility of on me to make the changes in my eating habit, but when I make the changes and I'm still FAT, what the hell am I suppose to do then?:o:mad::confused::mad::rolleyes::mad:

You really do need to get more Protein and less carbs into you somehow. I don't think you will mind it after you see how much less hungry you are. It may take a few weeks though. Also I found that when I eat smaller meals, I am actually less hungry. Instead of filling your pouch until you feel physically full, measure 1 1/2 cups and see how that is. Mostly protein and a few vegs... Try it what do you have to lose?

One more tip. Being pissed off is counter productive. It keeps you from seeing the answers that are there all the time. Let the anger go, and pick up where you left off. You may be really surprised at what comes along....

Thank you for posting this because I thought I was going crazy. I was banded on July 31st and have lost 26 pounds since. But that's it. I've been watching my calorie count and even purchased an Elliptical from HSN, on flex pay of course. Been using that since the purchase which is about a week now but still no weight lost.

I feel like a failure because I put my body through this and i'm still at the same place without the band.

I received my first fill about three weeks ago and still feel hungry. Now I have my family watching me like a freaking Hawk because they were against me having the surgery in the first place.

How can I get past this I'm still 26 pounds down and the scale will not move. This is pissing me off to the point where I'm crying.

And no one told me that I would have to go on Weight watchers or Atkins to loose the weight after the band. I did those things before surgery and failed at it, so now I've failed at being banded? WTF!!!

I AM PISSED, BUT I'M REALLY TRYING NOT TO BE! The responsibility of on me to make the changes in my eating habit, but when I make the changes and I'm still FAT, what the hell am I suppose to do then?:o:mad::confused::mad::rolleyes::mad:

"When I make the changes and I'm still FAT, what the hell am I suppose to do then?" LOL I'm right there with you! I guess that is the million dollar question isn't it. I see successes with the band. That keeps me going. I think this whole procedure is just screaming for a book to be written about what really happens. As it becomes more popular, someone is going to pull the trigger and make a million bucks. Would I have had this surgery if I had known that I would have to go back to WW to lose weight? No. This was a last chance option for me. I have tried and failed on all of the diets ten times each. I knew that I had a decent diet--I don't eat fast food, I don't eat out much, I don't drink cokes, I don't drink alcohol, I like all fruits and veggies. I just ate WAY too much. In my mind, I thought the band would be perfect for me. My dietician told me that I was the perfect candidate because Portion Control was my biggest problem.

So, what do I do? I can't stay on an 800 cal/day diet with no restriction. It isn't going to happen. The hunger thing is a deal breaker. I went 3 weeks being so hungry that I couldn't sit through church because my stomach was growling so badly. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. STARVING. I was extremely irritable, had a throbbing headache and a bad case of "what have I done to myself?"

I realized on my last fill that it is really a crap shot. She told me that they only fill 1 cc at a time. That was the rule. Well, starting at 0 cc's in a 10 cc band, it could take a while at fills every 14 days. She put in 1 cc. I asked "do you think that is going to be enough?" I didn't know. I was seriously asking a question. She said, "Okay, you talked me into it. I will give you another cc." So I doubled the amount of saline my just asking a simple question. I would like to think there is some clinical reason for the slow rate of fills. I have this nagging thought that it is more about insurance and copays. Every time I step foot into that office for a fill, my insurance pays $712, and I pay $30. Wouldn't it make sense to drag it out half a cc at a time if you were the clinic?

I am with you all on this topic here.. I am 10 weeks out of surgery, doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Working out daily, eating well and not seeing a change in my weight. I have completely cut soda out of my diet, no problem, drink my Protein shake every morning and sometimes evening as well, eat Protein throughout the day and I am only down 7-9 freakin pounds in 10 weeks! WTF does it take for this thing to do its job?

I got a fill almost two weeks ago and am going in again this Thursday for my 4th. I don't even know what I'm supposed to feel like.. I can feel my food go down and thought I had good restriction but never feel full. I know I could eat more but stop myself, isn't the band supposed to give me that full feeling sooner? And is my food supposed to sit in the pouch or pass through immediately? I am so confused now that I actually have the band. I thought I understood it all but Im more confused now.

When I take smaller bites and chew it really well, doesn't that mean it will pass through the band easier? Thus making me hungrier sooner?? Or is it supposed to sit there for a while? But if you take too big of a bite it gets stuck and is painful.

Do any of you actually get that full feeling after eating a small portion? I just want to know what it feels like to someone who thinks they have good restriction that are actually losing weight. Im scared to get it too tight yet I dont want it too loose.. ugh, I wish it wasn't so damn complicated. I never dreamed that I would be so torn about this damn surgery after having it.

omg I was just logging in to post something very similar. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO and am almost in tears. I had my surgery exactly a week ago, it was textbook. He said I didn't even bleed inside. I hardly needed any pain meds, I didn't have any of the dreaded shoulder pain from the gas. I'm doing *great* considering I just had surgery. I went from Clear Liquids to full on day 2, and to pureed foods on day 5. I went to the movies 3 days out and to a college football game on Saturday. All of this while feeling restriction and not being hungry. People ate popcorn and all kinds of stuff around me and I was fine. But all of a sudden yesterday, day 6, complete STARVATION. It just hit me all of a sudden, any restriction I had (from the swelling) was gone and my stomach wants food. I'm still on pureed foods but was wondering when it would be safe to move to the mushy "real" foods. Like maybe scrambled eggs? All I'm eating is creamed Soups, hummus, yogurt, mashed potatoes and of course Protein Drinks, and I'm sure to put on weight with all that starch. The biggest problem is, I don't know what to do after I'm back on real food! I'm scared, I'm terrified, my doc doesn't give the first fill for 6 weeks. Is that normal? I went to the nut. info thing and it all seemed reasonable.... provided I have restriction, which I don't and won't. I used to be on Nutrisystem and have tons of food left, i was thinking maybe I should just do that again till my first fill?? I am literally starting to freak out, helpppppp.

Edited by valgirl

Pissed off? Yep, I can sympathize with that emotion! I feel that I can accept almost anything if it is explained to me, and I can see the reason for it. This entire surgery escapade has been riddled with "no information given." When I look back over the last 6 weeks, it seems like 6 months.

2. I have been so hungry that I had to leave a church service because my stomach was growling so badly....."we didn't tell you that you would be hungry?" NO NO NO

3. I am now on my 3rd fill. I have ZERO restriction...."we didn't tell you that it could take up to a year to get the proper restriction?" HELL NO!

4. Why didn't I lose any weight again?" "Because your food journal shows that you have been eating cream of chicken Soup. Why?" I hate cream of chicken Soup, but I ate it everyday because that is what my information sheet said to do. When I showed them that, they couldn't imagine why that incorrect information was still in circulation.

5. When I asked how in the heck I am supposed to lose weight with zero restriction, they said "alot of our patients go on Weight Watchers." What???????? Why on earth would I have gone through all of this just to go on WW?

I asked the right questions. I seriously did. I just feel like I got sold a bill of goods on this one. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing people that have had the LAP-BAND® and lost 70 pounds or more. If I can do that, I will at least feel like it hasn't been a total waste no matter how crazy the road there is.

Thank you so much for your honesty here! I feel like my dr. didn't explain ANY of this stuff to me, but I am especially mad about the hunger. I had NO idea what to really expect, and I feel that I was a bit mislead.

THANK YOU for your post!

Of course they do 1cc at a time for the money!! Especially if you have insurance. I have a chiropractor who is trained by my doc. who also has a band. He is reasonable and not likely to over charge. Best of luck on that!!!!

I dunno, I disagree that it's just about the money on the fills. I have heard of people reaching their sweet spot with just 1cc. I've also read that some people get a LOT of swelling at the band site after their fills, and if you can't keep Water down they unfill you more than you were. So I dunno, I want them to go slow so I know when I'm at my sweet spot and don't totally overshoot it and have to go backwards. :thumbup:

That being said, I'm still starving lol.

Hello. First of all, I was pissed off also. I'll tell you why. What you're going thru is call "Bandster HEll". Thats the feeling you have right about now after your surgery where ur hunger is back full strength. You have to use your willpower, but if u cant, so what!. I called my doctors when I felt my unbearable hunger coming back. It was right after surgery and all I was alloed to drink was ONE shake PER DAY!!!!! OMG!! I could also have broths, SF ice pops, Soups, etc. What pissed me off is when they told me it was "head hunger". I told them "Bullshit", this is real hunger and anyone who drinks one shake per day, wheher you're fat or skinny will be hungry". :yikes: Head Hunger, my ass! You're due for your first fill soon. Now, dont think the first fill will do the trick. Sometimes, it doesnt. Sometimes it does. It took 3 fills before I felt restriction. But, here I am, almost a year later and dow 82 pounds. Believe me, the time flies and so will the pounds. What you are feeling is normal. Try to ride it out. Its something we all have to do. Good luck!:biggrin:

Hi guys? Just wondered if anyone out there is feeling a bit pissed off due to hunger?

I am really sick of feeling this hungry...it's been about 5-6 weeks since surgery, and the hunger has been almost unbearable at times. And, as much as I hate to admit this outloud, I am PISSED OFF about it!

However irrational this may be, I am pissed of the that surgery center that did my band did NOT tell me about the possibility of hunger. I know the band will eventually take care of this, but the LONGGGGGG process of getting to the point where you have enough restriction to get rid of hunger is MAKING ME ANGRY! :thumbup:

I am pissed off because I CAN'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING ELSE! I feel like I'm spending so much time and energy on the hunger, I feel like it's controlling me.

If anyone has found themselves feeling a bit pissed off because of the same thing (or anything really), it would help me feel like less of a freak if I knew I wasn't the only one who is feeling irrationally angry.

Thanks guys! This website is a lifesaver!

No offense, but what hell kind of place did u go to? I have never heard of any place treating a patient like this. Never was anyone I know of told that it could take up to a year for restriction or go to Weight watchers. Find a different place. Sounds to me like theya re takaing ur money for very small fills to keep you going back for more. You should stay in the office for a fill until you get enough od that fill. Try to gulp a cup of Water afterwards and see if u can keep it down. If ur gulping and Water doesnt come back up, YOU AINT FILLED ENOUGH!!!!! HAVE THEM PUT MORE IN. IN THE MEANTIME, FIND ANOTHER PLACE !!!!

4. Why didn't I lose any weight again?" "Because your food journal shows that you have been eating cream of chicken Soup. Why?" I hate cream of chicken soup, but I ate it everyday because that is what my information sheet said to do. When I showed them that, they couldn't imagine why that incorrect information was still in circulation.

I asked the right questions. I seriously did. I just feel like I got sold a bill of goods on this one. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing people that have had the LAP-BAND®® and lost 70 pounds or more. If I can do that, I will at least feel like it hasn't been a total waste no matter how crazy the road there is.

I think we all need a reality check.

Look....nothing about the band stops you from feeling Hungy!!! Hunger is going to happen..... It just helps you to feel satisfied sooner...PERIOD.

It's like a big rubber band around the outside of your stomach. If you eat solid food (without drinking) you will notice you have the "sensation" of being full sooner than you did before you had that big, expensive rubber-band. You are not actually full - but you "feel" full....so you stop eating.

Here is the trick.....eat slow....eat small...don't drink ...that's it. If you follow these 3 simple rules, you will eat less and eventually, you will lose weight.

Fills are critical - but even without a fill - if you follow the three simple steps - you will notice a difference in the amount you eat.

I can honestly say that my doctor's office truly provided me with the information I needed along the way...but a lot of you guys have every right to be pissed off!

A month of liquids? Arrggghhhhh! I had 10 days post-op and for a good portion of that I wasn't hungry. It was doable...and I knew even before surgery that on day 10 I would advance to mushy foods and had a huge list of what that included.

Gas pains? Yep, I was warned, told what would take care of the gas that wasn't in my digestive tract.

yada yada yada.

Bottom line, I cannot tell you how many posts I've read and said to myself "what the hell?!? Why didn't your doc tell you this or warn you about that......." And, honestly, I think you should put it in writing and let them know that by not telling you these things, they set you up for massive confusion, frustration and, yes, anger.

And bandster hell? My doc didn't call it that, but he warned that until my first fill I would be working pretty much on willpower alone. And I was told that my first fill would be "around 4ccs". And it was 4ccs. None of the little bitty fills that a lot of people have had to suffer through to finally get "there". I can't change your doctor, or take away the frustrations you've already experienced but I can say that you have to be your own advocate. Don't let them give you vague answers. Ask every question you can think of after you've read here. And don't mince your words...tell them that they could have made this a much better experience if they'd just given you adequate information!