Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch packing, major defill, now weight gain ??? Help??

Help! I need some input ?? I have been having major, disgusting heartburn, and throwin up for the last year, its been really gross. I havent lost any weight for the good year, my mom passed away and have been in another "world". I just figured it was stress. So feeling a bit better, I went in for a very small fill after this time. But the nurse suggested I have a fluro too. I went and thank god I did !

Dr. Yau was awesome ! He said I was way too tight. He said I have been pouch packing and that is why the heartburn and throwing up. He ALSO said that my esophagus was almost three times what it should be !!!! NOrmally, it should only be a finger wide, but mine was almost three fingers wide !@!@! :redface: I couldnt believe it !! He let me see it and I actually took a pic of the screen with my phone !! Becuase I was too tight, the food wasnt going down and hence the heart burn and throwin up. He told me he had to defill me 3 cc's :wink2: which now puts me down to 5cc's. I told him I was very sad :cursing: with that because I was afraid I would gain some weight. But he said he prefers I graze all day and eat often but very little. I have to do this for a month and go for another fluro and then very slowly start up the fills.

My question is: Have other people gone thru this and regained alot of weight? Will I be able to lose faster now?

Slower? OPinions? experiences?

I would really appreciate your input on kinda what to expect.

I know everyone is different. I have another 42 pounds to lose. Help? :thumbup:

I am glad that you eventually went to see your Dr. It is scary to think that you have had a problem for a year and not done anything about it. We have to remember that we are important and look after ourselves.

I hope that everything goes well from now on.

Thanks Elcee,

I know I should have gone in sooner, but I lost my mom, and moved my dad and I in together within one year. I just kept thinking it was all the stress. But I was really glad I went. After spending all that money that I Didnt have, I was sure to get an answer..:wink2:) I just dont know what to expect now. Do people lose now or always gain? Anyway, thanks !

Believe it or not, you may actually begin losing weight. You will now be able to eat and keep down healthier foods than before. Also, if you graze, or eat 6 small healthy meals, your metabolism will probably rev up. If you have been too tight for a year, you were probably either eating slider foods, which are higher in calories, or you have eaten/kept down, very little. Both scenarios are not good. Even if you gain a little, focus on taking small bites, chewing well and eating healthy foods. Also, if you still experience pb episodes, call and get a little more taken out. You can't truly heal until the swelling goes down. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for replying to my thread. I was kinda hoping to get an answer like yours. I actually enjoyed my dinner tonite for the first time in so long and kept it down. AFter dinner, my hubby and I went out for coffees, and I chose to skip dessert. Later, I came home and had a small fruit cup. No heartburn all day long. Thanks again...:redface: I love to hear people's input :wink2:

Thanks for replying to my thread. I was kinda hoping to get an answer like yours. I actually enjoyed my dinner tonite for the first time in so long and kept it down. AFter dinner, my hubby and I went out for coffees, and I chose to skip dessert. Later, I came home and had a small fruit cup. No heartburn all day long. Thanks again...:redface: I love to hear people's input :wink2:

You're welcome, and remember, if you keep you meal sizes small, you should be fine. Try eating the amounts you should, and see if it satisfies you. If not, eat a little more and realize that after you get your fills again the amounts/weight will drop. Also, when they begin filling you again, just please take it slow. Now you know what to look for so you won't be too tight again.

I'd hazard a guess you've gradually begun eating easier foods to get round the heartburn, throwing up issue too and that once you can eat well - fruit and veg and lean Protein - again, it probably will have a good effect on weight.

And of course, if you dont already exercise regularly now is a great time to start!

Hi Rose,

Not sure exactly what pouch packing is, but I can guess. I was banded 8/28/08 and did very well for a good while and lost 67lbs. But for some reason, probably due to my abusing my band pb'ing alot, heartburn, nightly cough,acid reflux, I had to get 2 unfills in a row. My doc said he had to take all the Fluid out of my band and have an ultra sound to see what was going on--slippage? It turned out it hadn't slipped thank God, but it took 3 months before I was back to the restriction I needed which is where I am now. I tell you all that because I gained back 27lbs while my Fluid was out of my band. Like a dummy I felt like I had a "get out of jail free card" and I didn't eat right, hence the weight gain. So my advice to you is be VERY careful what you eat during this time until you are properly restricted again. Good Luck!

Your story sounds familiar. Day two and I feel fantastic !!

I have gone back to drinking my Water and I eat every two hours, but very small. I am also watching what I eat. I know this is a very dangerous stage and want to avoid weight gain, so I know I will have to be careful. I have been able to sleep, and really enjoy eating and keeping it down and no heartburn. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate hearing others stories and feel this as encouragement for me. Thanks again...:)

Rose,

I'm so glad I read your thread. I've been going through a simular situation. My DH was diagnosed with a rare agressive cancer back in Feb '09, and my life has also been all screwed up. Amazing how priorities change. He is still in chemo and fighting, but responding well. We've had lots of support from friends and family and help with our house and kids. I'm FINALLY getting back on track. I hadn't had a check up since Feb (or lost more weight)and hadn't had a fill since late 2008. I just didn't have time. We've been traveling a lot for Dr appts and chemo, etc. I fianally got in and had another fill recently, and my Dr, while sympathetic, said I have to remember to take care of me. Which I know. But you know how it is. Just know you're not alone, and the one day at a time chiche' is true.

-Barb:thumbup:

Thanks for the reply Blund.. I am so sorry to hear of your troubles and pain..I understand somewhat you are going thru, but can imagine being my hubby. I have had a terrible time with the grief, I am on meds and have gone to my third grief group. I am 5 ft. and well, 189 lbs. yah, too heavy. My mother was similar stature, actually shorter. She was heavy after she had me, at 39. When she died from the cancer, to see her deteriorate down to 84 lbs. was ASTONISHING AND HEART WRENCHING and nearlly killed me.

But so many times as she lay in bed, she kept asking me to lose weight. I told her when I got the band, but not really sure she understood. I am still having a hard time witih it, but it is time that i take care of myself. I am not getting any younger. It always shocks me when I hear people lose so much weight, and wonder, why cant I lose a mere 50????

I have already lost 45, I just have 50 more to go...!@!!@

The number seems so small. I have never been tiny, but I looked real good at 137 lbs. So, be proud that you are taking care of yourself, because you wil be no good to anyone if you are sick. I spent too much money, money that I didnt have on this thing, I aint giving up. I just want to lose as much as I possibly can. Sometimes we think we are not strong, but we have the inner strength.

REmember, " Your deepest struggles become your deepest strengths..." You can quote me on that. I will pray that you all be blessed with the strength to continue this difficult journey and find peace in your hearts. Dont get filled too tight, which was my problem. Doctor said my esophagus was three times the size it should be. It should only be one finger wide, mine was three times wide. I thought it was just the stress, not the fact that I was too tight. Day two and I feel so much better. And I am watching very carefully what I am eating. And I have begun drinking my Water again. Lets keep in touch and I wish you much strength and never lose the faith....:)

Thanks Rose. I've learned so much and gotten so much great info from these forums. There seems to always be someone here with simular issues. As great as most of our doctors are, most of them haven't 'been there'. -Barb

Thank you all. I go tomorrow for an unfill. I've had terrible heartburn for about a month. I kept thinking it would go away. I called the doctor today, and they were pretty insistent that I come in tomorrow. I was scared of a possible slip. I've been eating poorly. Thank you for getting me back on track. I'm excited again!

gonnaloseitall,

you'll have to tell me how u do. you will probably feel much better. i have to go back in a month and have another fluro done to see how my esophagus looks. heartburn is gone, but still have only lost the three pounds. oh well, better than nothing. good luck !:thumbup:

After reading this, now I think I should go in for an unfill. My problem has been hit and miss though. I have been very successful so far, and the weight is still going down. I am down close to 90 lbs, and for the past several months, I have been pb, throwing up, heartburn, pressure in asoph. I know this is all bad, but as soon as I decide to go in, it goes away for a few days and all is well.

However, I notice the things I should eat hurt, so I have been eating sliders (sweets and sugars mostly), and am dying to feel something in my stomach. I will try to eat the good stuff, get sick, then finish with sweets. This is SOOOO bad. However, I was tight once before, and got an unfill, but they took too much out and I was STARVING! I went back for a partial fill, but they didn't put in much. At one point, I wanted a small fill again, but decided against it. Things were going great. I was loosing, eating well, and enjoying what I was eating. I figured as I lost weight, I would need another fill from fat shrinkage. NOT! Instead I find it getting tighter and tighter, but probably from irratation. I don't want to get much taken out, but they don't go for the small unfills...

I hate this part. I know you are all going to say go to the doc. I know I have to. I just don't want to. It is so hard for me because I am so close to being in the onehundreds again, and I know as soon as I get an unfill I will gain. UUURrRRRRGFGGGGG!