Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many cc's did it take to get the optimum restriction?

I had 3.5 cc's in my band on the date of surgery (8/28/09). I got REALLY sick, and they took all of the saline out of the band. I felt much better immediately. Over the next 2 weeks, I was SUPER hungry. Two weeks after surgery, they put 1.5 cc back in the band. I had zero restriction. After 3 more weeks, they put 1.0 cc more for a total of 2.5 cc's. I am still experiencing zero restriction. I have 2 more appts scheduled in the next 4 weeks. My surgeon will do fills every 2-4 weeks. My experience has been they will do 1.0 cc at a time. How many cc's did it take for you to get the optimal restriction you wanted? I am really curious to know when I am going to feel like I have a band at all.

I've had 4 or 5 fills and I'm at 9.something. No restriction to speak of. Never been sick, thrown up or gotten stuck.

There are people here with 1cc that have great restriction.

I can't fathom that.

I have a fill appointment tomorrow--filler er' up

I've had 4 fills. I think I have about 8 cc in 10cc band and have great restriction but up till fill #3 none. Good luck hope you get there soon!

My doctor said that everyone's anatomy is different and some get good restriction with very little and others require several fills. So go figure....you won't know until you're there. There is no way of telling for sure. I got a 4cc for my first fill and for a week I had good restriction but now I could eat the cat (IF I had one). I get my second fill on 10/21.

i cant handle a lot.. i only have 3ccs in a 10cc band. i have 1 put in at surgery. i was fine then i did 2 more fills 1 cc each time. i feel good. and i have restirction and when i start to feel hungry too fast ima go get another fill. i think everyone is very different.

I was extremely frustrated! The first 3 was NOTHING! The next two would work for a week or so and then nothing... I'm at 6.75 and in BANDLANDIA!!!!! NOW I see what people are talking about!

It took me 6 fills, and I'm at 6.5 in a 14 cc band...finally I feel some restriction and it's great! But, the first 4 times it was tough to keep working it, I'm glad I kept believing!

I've had 3 fills (I had no fill at surgery), and I have about 8 cc in my Realize Band currently (although my surgeon said .5 cc gets stuck in the tubing, so I really think I have 7.5 cc in total thats actually working for me). I am feeling some restriction but I'm still thinking I could use a little more. If I had to guess, I think I can eat a little over a cup of food (maybe a cup and a half) and I'd love to be able to stop at 3/4s of a cup. I also don't have problems with any food (I can eat fiberous food and doughy food, anything really with no problem). I just had my 3rd fill less than 2 weeks ago, so I'm gonna give it another week or 2. Some have said that for whatever reason, the restriction might kick in after a week or 2.

Had my 3rd fill today... 7.5 cc in my 11 cc reaize band. I can tell more this time then the first two that I am tight. Feels great and can't wait until Thursday to see how food feels. I am on liquids for 3 days.

Weird thing is I felt more restriction 1st fill then I did my 2nd fill... Doc said he may have mis filled on the 2nd one so this 3rd one may be a big jump...we will see... All I know is I want to feel like the day after surgery when a couple bits of Jello made me feel stuffed!

I have the 9cc Realize Band, and I had to take it up to 11cc to get optimum restriction. Even at that, I have very few foods that give me trouble (namely stringy vegetables - celery for one, which I don't care to eat anyway, so I feel pretty lucky).

My first fill my MD put in 4 cc's which was too tight (immediate heartburn, sliming on my saliva, chest pain). He took out 2 cc's and we did fills slowly after that. Now I have 4.4 cc in a 10 cc band and I have hit my sweet spot. I can only eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and I'm full for hours.

A small esophagus runs in my family (my grandmother died from choking), so I think this might have to do with why I don't need a lot in my band...

My first fill my MD put in 4 cc's which was too tight (immediate heartburn, sliming on my saliva, chest pain). He took out 2 cc's and we did fills slowly after that. Now I have 4.4 cc in a 10 cc band and I have hit my sweet spot. I can only eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and I'm full for hours.

A small esophagus runs in my family (my grandmother died from choking), so I think this might have to do with why I don't need a lot in my band...

I'm sorry that your grandmother died in such a tragic way.

You may have answered a lingering question I've had as to what might be different in our anatomies to cause someone like me to need such a higher amount of fill to reach their sweet spot and someone else to have trouble just taking in fluids at 2cc. I know some has to do with fat around the stomach, but at a certain point, that fat should be minimal. Esophagus size just might be the reason.

I'm sorry that your grandmother died in such a tragic way.

You may have answered a lingering question I've had as to what might be different in our anatomies to cause someone like me to need such a higher amount of fill to reach their sweet spot and someone else to have trouble just taking in fluids at 2cc. I know some has to do with fat around the stomach, but at a certain point, that fat should be minimal. Esophagus size just might be the reason.

Thank you. I was only 7 when it happened, but my sisters, my mom and I have all experienced side effects from it, (I used to "swallow the wrong way" at least once a week and cough my head off, things like that)

it just makes sense that a smaller esophagus wouldn't need to be "tightened" so much...

Anatomy varies from person to person and affects how much it takes to create enough restriction. I will say, I've never read many positive comments from people who got at fill during surgery .... combined with post-op swelling, so many have problems with being too tight.

For me, there was .6cc left in my band after they tested it in the operating room. My last adjustment was an unfill of .2cc. I am holding at 5.8cc.

Well I feel like a complete dumb ass! I went in today for a fill and thought that I had a 10cc band, I actually have a 14cc band.

I now have 9cc's in that band, not supposed to eat today, so I'll find out tomorrow if I feel any restriction yet.

Hopefully soon