Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on yesterday's port removal

Well, so far so good all things being relative. Dr. said it was exactly like he thought it would be. He removed the port, and cleaned out the infected tissue. He did it open vs lap, so to say my wound is bigger than I expected is an understatement. I had a home nurse come out this morning and change my dressing for the first time since surgery. She pulled out almost 5 yards of packed gauze. I was overwhelmed and completely shocked as it just kept coming and coming out. For the first time since my original surgery, I broke down. I couldn't/can't fathom having a hole in my stomach that deep. I truly believe everything happens for a reason, and can't wait to figure out what God's got planned for me to learn through all of this. I also got a fill of 1.5 cc's during surgery. It's more than I was thinking he would give me, but so far so good. I'm drinking straight liquids. I'll be getting my wound vac on Tuesday and will have nurses pack it in the meantime. Once again, I'm just hoping this is a road bump (or a fallen tree) vs the beginning of the end!! Not that I recommend it, but I was stuck at the same weight for about 3 weeks, and have finally lost 3 more lbs. I guess surgery will do that, huh?! LOL Trying to be optomistic. Anyway, thank you so much for all the support I've gotten from you guys. Lisa, I would love to see your pictures, if you can figure out where they are, and talk to you more about your wound too. Thanks again.

Eeek. 5 yards of packing? Ick. Take care of yourself. We are all thinking positive thoughts for speedy healing.

((hugs))

I'll say a prayer for a speedy recovery for you. What an ordeal, you must be exhausted. It sounds like the fill has been a good thing though! Keep your chin up, this too shall pass.

I'm so sorry you had to go thru this. Thinking of you and hoping you are now on the right track. Best wishes and good thoughts for a speedy recovery !!!

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Hope you get to feeling better and heal fast. Keep a positive attitude and you will prevail. Keep us posted..

That is so horrible but it is wonderful that you have a positive attitude. I do hope you feel better soon! Everyone is rooting for you!

I'm honestly broken hearted here. I know exactly how you feel, and it's awful. Could one of the moderators post my pics? I'm sorry, but I won't be able to come back to this thread because I can't bare to look. Hearing of another port removal with packed wound flooded back my memories, and I'm not feeling so well right now.

So you have a sick buddy here in Vegas. Sympathy pains.

The wound is enormous, but rest assured it will close. Every day that 6 feet of gauze will get smaller and smaller. The smaller it gets, the faster it closes. PM or call me, k?

I understand your horror. My husband just had an infection from a hurnia surgery and had to reopen the surgical wound and heal from the inside out. The nurses came to the home and tried to teach me how to pack it. When they saw how horrified I was at the sight of the wound and how deep and raw it looked they ordered him up a wound vac asap. 2 weeks later (and 2 weeks laughing at the farting noises from the wound vac) there was no hole and he actually looks like he has a fake belly button again. Your ordeal will be over in no time and you will be good as new. Take this time to heal and keep us updated on your ordeal. GOod luck with the wound vac noises, they are funny.

Kim