Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greek Yogurt ideas PLEASE

For the people who are losing; I'd like to know how many grams of Protein are you having daily?

I'm eating at least 60, per my surgeon's suggestions.

The Greek yogurt ideas are great. I am not too imaginative, but I did come up with this. If you live near a Trader Joe's, they have a house brand of Greek yogurt in 2 cup containers. There are two, one with a burgundy and blue design, the other with shades of blue. The blue only design gives you the best bang for your $2.99. It has a whopping 22g Protein per cup, and only 6g sugar (naturally occuring milk sugar), I get the plain fat free and divide it into 4 half cup servings (11g protein, 3g sugar). I then throw in some cinnamon and a heaping tablespoon of Smuckers sugar free preserves (no added sugar and about 10-20 cals). I buy all different flavors so I have Cinnamon Orange Marmelade, Cinnamon Blueberry, Cinnamon Apricot, etc. You can't buy a commercial fat free yogurt that gives that much protein for that little sugar. I will have to try it with the ranch dressing mix as a dip. Sounds good.

I can't stand the consistancy of Greek yogurt as I have a strong gag reflex. The glop just sticks in the back of my throat. BUT if used in a recipe it's good. They DO have flavored, with some unusual flavors like pomegranite.... But I like to dice up a fresh cucumber and mix them with plain Greek yougurt, a few cloves of fresh garlic crushed in a press, white or cracked pepper, salt and lots of dill weed. Let it sit for a few hours and have as a salad. It's WONDERFUL!!!! I prefer this over the sweet stuff.

I love these yogurt ideas!

I will defiantly be trying yogurt & Peanut Butter.

I was on Body for Life in one of my loosing phases in the past and was introduced to yogurt & cottage cheese. It sounds gross but it's really good, and it makes a perfect Breakfast. How does everyone do with cottage cheese? ???? It's high in Protein too (11g 1/2 cup)??????????????

I will try: a little Greek yogurt, splenda, cottage cheese & maybe some fruit (after I get to eat again...)

I love these yogurt ideas!

I will defiantly be trying yogurt & Peanut Butter.

I was on Body for Life in one of my loosing phases in the past and was introduced to yogurt & cottage cheese. It sounds gross but it's really good, and it makes a perfect breakfast. How does everyone do with cottage cheese? ???? It's high in Protein too (11g 1/2 cup)??????????????

I will try: a little Greek yogurt, splenda, cottage cheese & maybe some fruit (after I get to eat again...)

Cottage cheese is high is salt

For me.... cottage cheese leaves a nasty taste in my mouth and I find that I desire to eat (not hungry) but that could be from the salt

I like the Breakstone's 2% High Fiber cottage cheese that comes in a 4-pack. I mix one container (1/4 cup) with 1 small container of ready-to-eat sugar-free Jello. Sounds sorta strange, but it is really good! Got the idea from someone on LBT a few months ago. Orange Jello with the cottage cheese is reminiscent of a creamsicle. My favorite is black cherry. Yum!

Never thought of yogurt and cottage cheese. Sounds interesting! I definitely want to try the ranch dip and yogurt next time I have to bring something to a party. :thumbup:

Oh are you handling the wraps with fills? I am afraid to try those. I used to make really great chicken fajitas - chicken breast, peppers and onions on the grill, toast the wrap and put the greek yogurt on as sour cream. YUMMY - i'm afraid to eat that now though.

I eat at least 80. I can go over 100 sometimes when I eat fish.

I've had three fills, and have been very fortunate throughout this process. I've had decent restriction since surgery even without the first fill, and I haven't had any intolerances of sutck episodes/PB. So the wraps don't bother me too much. However, I try to stray away from carbs so instead of doing a bread wrap, I do a lettuce leaf wrap so I just swap the bread for a big ol' piece of lettuce.

These are all great suggestions! I just discovered Greek yougurt and love it. Has anyone tried adding a packet of the Ranch dressing mix? I bet it would be great for a veggie dip.

Deanna

I tried that! It was good, but nothing compares to the real thing lol

And for the other poster that asked about Protein...my doc recommended a general 60-80 grams/day for women. I usually end up taking about 70-80 in. If I feel like I haven't had enough for the day, I finish my night off with a 25 gram Protein shake.

Why did the doctor say only plain greek? I eat the Oikios greek yogurt found at Safeway and Albertson's plus two local grocery stores in my area. The vanilla is quite good and doesn't add a lot of sugar. The strawberry and blueberry are good too. The plain? I add it to my Protein Shakes with a banana!

i love it with fresh pomegranate!!!!....YUMMO

The greeks ad diced garlic, parsley and lemon juice and eat the following day.......... yummo

you can add shredded cucumber, dill , salt , garlic powder, lemon and make "z-sauce" great on falafel, chicken etc

I just read this recipe online for healthy food swaps. I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure how well Greek yogurt would freeze, but I'm going to give it shot.

Skip: Processed frozen treats

Pick: Frozen berry pops

Mix frozen berries with low-fat Greek yogurt, spoon it into small paper cups and freeze it on sticks for a healthier summertime treat. They're inexpensive and easy to have on hand. Freezing doesn't harm the nutritional value in the berries, which include Vitamin C, manganese and fiber.

thanks ....great idea

I would just push up the ices treat by pushing up the ices by pressing the bottom of the little waxed paper cups....plastic might crush.........yummo:wub:

I love this stuff! I haven't been banded yet but I eat the Fage brand and add honey. Sometimes, I go wild and add granola or fruit.

I have also had it (or cottage cheese) with tomatoes, salt and pepper. I also use it in place of sour cream. Some froyo places sell plain/tart frozen yogurt that is also good.

Sugarlessdelight.com sells a SF honey that's good (all their SF stuff is good!)