Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greek Yogurt ideas PLEASE

My doctor insists the only yogurt recommended by him is the Plain Greek, please tell me your ideas for making it tastier! It seems so bland to me!

Thanks!:)

I got some sugar-free preserves and mixed in a tablespoon or so with a cup of Greek yogurt. Some people use it in place of sour cream as a topping. You also can mix in some frozen berries or other fruit. I'm sure other people also have suggestions.

My doctor insists the only yogurt recommended by him is the Plain Greek, please tell me your ideas for making it tastier! It seems so bland to me!

Thanks!:)

i am not sure if i am doing this reply thing right...greek yougurt is great because of the Protein...try sugar free or low sugar jam in your favorite flavor....i like apricot or raspberry...or you can get sugar free honey at bariatriceating.com....let me know what works for you. I am getting banded on oct 19, if the insurance thing goes as planned. but i have been trying foods that i will need to eat post op. good luck:thumbup:

I add chopped walnuts. You can try sugar free Ice Cream toppings or maybe adding a packet of Splenda and sprinkle with cinnamon.

I won't eat the plain. I like the Blueberry, and blueberries are one of the best foods you can eat. I add a few more organic frozen blueberries and my powdered Vitamins and a little bit of Protein Powder to get a total of about 25 grams of Protein. I've changed so many other things in my life, a little sugar in my yogurt is not going to hurt me in any way. Especially since I rarely seem to eat over 1000 calories a day.

I have only been able to find the plain at stores in my area. (walmart) I didn't have know that they had flavored. I guess I can buy my own berries to mix into it? I like the idea of using in the place of sour cream, I like to use a little sour cream with fat free refried Beans.

Any other ideas for greek yogurt? Please.

please tell me what Greek yogurt is and where do you buy it?

greek yogurt is a strained yogurt so it is much creamier and dense compared to regular. i find it almost in every super market in the dairy section. whole foods always has plain.

Aside from adding a bit of preserves, honey or cinnamon/Splenda, just use it as a sour cream substitute in any recipe. Works great.

Aside from adding a bit of preserves, honey or cinnamon/Splenda, just use it as a sour cream substitute in any recipe. Works great.

I did! its great!

It is very easy to make greek yogart........

You take a coffee paper liner and put it in a strainer and place in a bowl....then add the regular yogart.:frown:

place in the frig and in the morning...

the greek yogart is in the strainer

and you throw away the liquid from the bowl (or place on face for a Protein mask :eek:

and it is cheaper

I have never done it with the flavored kind...always like plain no flavor

Greek yogurt is not just thicker, it also has much, much more Protein than any regular yogurt, so straining regular yogurt will only thicken it, not make it more protein-rich, unfortunately.

I swear by the plain Greek yogurt, just like your doctor said, nawlinzlady. However, I don't like sour things and I gave up sugar! SO, I always add two packets of Splenda to my serving to sweeten it. Once it is sweet, it tastes like vanilla yogurt to me, and any fresh fruit (including bananas) added is delicious!!! I also have added sugar-free preserves like others have mentioned, and I've been told that adding chocolate Protein powder makes a pudding-like treat, but I haven't tried that yet. Once at work I added a little bit of Strawberry-Banana South Beach Tide Me Over drink mix-in, and that was really yummy.

I have also added a dollop or two of it to Protein shakes to make them thicker. That really packs in the Protein, too! :frown:

My surgeon, who is Lebanese, suggested straining the Greek yogurt (which is already thick), to make it thicker -- to spreadable cheese consistancy, then adding spices and perhaps a bit of olive oil to it and serving it with veggies or whole wheat crackers. He said it would be similar to "labneh."

HTH!

Edited by SpideyMom
typo

The greeks ad diced garlic, parsley and lemon juice and eat the following day.......... yummo

The greeks ad diced garlic, parsley and lemon juice and eat the following day.......... yummo

Sounds good. Gotta try that.

I just tried Greek yogurt last week after reading about it on this site and it does taste just like sour cream. I am still in the mashed food stage so I've used it on mashed potatoes and today on my refried Beans. I don't really care for sweets so haven't tried to make it sweeter. I do like the idea above about straining it and flavoring it like a cream cheese spread. Unfortunately I won't have anything to spread it on for a few more weeks, lol. I miss my triscuits and laughing cow cheese wedges so I'm planning on trying the Greek yogurt spread as soon as I can have my Triscuits again :frown:

I was able to find several brands and flavors of Greek yogurt at the HEB grocery store by my bf's (Houston, TX) but only in the stores that offer more of the imported foods. My local HEB store (San Antonio) didn't carry it but I drove down the road and found it in the dairy section. Whole foods does carry it but it was about twice as much. The different brands all had different Protein content so pick one that is high in Protein but low in sugar. I might add some berries and give it a try one day.

Edited by WonderWmn