Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

H1N1 vaccine and pregnancy

My daughter just found out she's pregnant - she's about 5 weeks along. Have any of you discussed getting the H1N1 vaccine or the seasonal flu shot with your obstetrician - and if so at what point (weeks) in the pregnancy is it safe? Is it safe to get it in the first trimester? Thanks.

Signed - a nervous mother and grandmother to be

i just went for my 12 week check up..my doctor told me not to get the swine flu shot he doesnt believe in the vaccine yet...but he did tell me to get my flu shot! she can call he obgyn and ask them at what point inher pregnancy can she get a flu shot

i believe its safe because as long as you don't have allergies on eggs then its safe... because i know flu shots are not allowed for those with allergies on egg because it will react to your allergies...

I work at a hospital and I am also five weeks pregnant. I talked to my OB today and she recommended that I get it. There is a lot of talk about it because it's new. The RN I work with in Occupational Health says that she did research on it and it's made the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine. We recommend all pregnant employees to ask their OB before getting the flu vaccine.

100 pregnant women have been hospitalized with the swine flu and 28 have died. That is unheard of with past flu outbreaks.

My daughter will be getting the swine flu shot. It is the dead virus and works just like the seasonal flu shot. The dangers of not getting it are far riskier. Plus the mother will pass her immunity onto her baby who cannot be given the flu shot until age 6 months.

But pregnant women should NOT get the nasal spray version of the vaccine. Wait for the shot and make sure it is mercury (preservative) free.

I am 7 months and would never get any kind of shots while pregnant or before pregnancy. A lot of flu shots have mercury in them - we're talking hazardous waste which can affect the neurological system, at doses far above what the EPA deigns safe. Makes sense, huh? I did get the flu and it was mild. My son also got the flu and it too was mild. We did not die. Everyone is freaking out around here about how they all have H1N1. Well, they're all getting over it too. I'm sorry but this is my honest opinion about H1N1 - big whoop. The media has made everyone frenzied and panicked for no reason. Most people who die from the flu have compromised immune systems already or some disorder. If you're sleeping well, eating well and are generally healthy you do not need the flu shot. My doctor was appalled that I would not get the shot because 2 (yes, count them, two!) pregnant people died last year from the flu. (I'm assuming that was in my state). I believe the mercury in the shots will negatively affect far more people than the amount of deaths from flu. Don't buy into the media frenzy.

My daughter is 12 weeks pregnant and got the seasonal flu shot a couple of weeks ago (mercury free) and got the H1N1 (also mercury free) today. Her ob/gyn recommended both. They are dead viruses and cannot cause harm. But getting the H1N1 flu has resulted in the deaths of pregnant women and young children. I am glad she got the shots and didn't play russian roulette with her and her baby's health. For more info read:

Flu Vaccine Safe Throughout Pregnancy

Pregnant women are at THE HIGHEST RISK catergory for H1N1 & we should get the vaccine as soon as it can be found. I am a nurse but also a naturalist at heart and was VERY reluctant to get any vaccine during pregnancy but after doing homework, following up with the CDC website, speaking with my high risk OB, regular OB, 2 infectious disease docs my PMD, and seeing the quick deteriorating effects of H1N1 infection of a young seemingly healthy woman in the ICU were I work (and expose myself to many viruses and germs) it was really a no brainer for me. I got the seasonal flu and the H1N1 vaccine one week apart. I was told I could get them at the same time but opted not to.

My daughter just found out she's pregnant - she's about 5 weeks along. Have any of you discussed getting the H1N1 vaccine or the seasonal flu shot with your obstetrician - and if so at what point (weeks) in the pregnancy is it safe? Is it safe to get it in the first trimester? Thanks.

Signed - a nervous mother and grandmother to be

It is not hype that ALL pregnant women ARE compromised in health when the growing baby reduces the lungs vital capacity, the heart is greatly enlarged because of the at least 40% increase in blood volume necessary to sustain another little human inside a woman. Most vaccines do not have the high levels of mercury now but very small trace amounts of thimerisol preservative, and if you look around there are some seasonal flu shots available that are manufactured without it as well. Young women are more likely to die from swine flu than their middle aged or elderly male or female counterparts. Add pregnancy to the equation and you have a very compromised situation.

Pregnant women are at THE HIGHEST RISK catergory for H1N1 & we should get the vaccine as soon as it can be found. I am a nurse but also a naturalist at heart and was VERY reluctant to get any vaccine during pregnancy but after doing homework, following up with the CDC website, speaking with my high risk OB, regular OB, 2 infectious disease docs that are VERY experienced, my PMD, and seeing the quick deteriorating effects of H1N1 infection of a young seemingly healthy (nonpregnant) woman in the ICU were I work (and I also expose myself to many viruses and germs) it was really a no brainer for me. I got the seasonal flu and the H1N1 vaccines one week apart. I was told I could get them at the same time but opted not to.

It is your right to choose, but for your sake and your family's, make an educated decision.

I am 7 months and would never get any kind of shots while pregnant or before pregnancy. A lot of flu shots have mercury in them - we're talking hazardous waste which can affect the neurological system, at doses far above what the EPA deigns safe. Makes sense, huh? I did get the flu and it was mild. My son also got the flu and it too was mild. We did not die. Everyone is freaking out around here about how they all have H1N1. Well, they're all getting over it too. I'm sorry but this is my honest opinion about H1N1 - big whoop. The media has made everyone frenzied and panicked for no reason. Most people who die from the flu have compromised immune systems already or some disorder. If you're sleeping well, eating well and are generally healthy you do not need the flu shot. My doctor was appalled that I would not get the shot because 2 (yes, count them, two!) pregnant people died last year from the flu. (I'm assuming that was in my state). I believe the mercury in the shots will negatively affect far more people than the amount of deaths from flu. Don't buy into the media frenzy.

I feel the same way, I am 20 weeks pregnant and got both vaccines, my 3 year old daughter got the seasonal flu and I am having some trouble finding a doc or a clinic that will give her the pediatric version of H1N1. But I'll keep looking.

My daughter is 12 weeks pregnant and got the seasonal flu shot a couple of weeks ago (mercury free) and got the H1N1 (also mercury free) today. Her ob/gyn recommended both. They are dead viruses and cannot cause harm. But getting the H1N1 flu has resulted in the deaths of pregnant women and young children. I am glad she got the shots and didn't play russian roulette with her and her baby's health. For more info read:

Flu Vaccine Safe Throughout Pregnancy

Olgi, I have made an educated decision, thanks.

I've heard lately there's been miscarriages linked to the H1N1 shot ... Just putting that out there.

I had the h1n1 shot and baby and I are fine. Really it's not very different from the regular flu shot. Getting this shot not only protects you it protects your baby now and later in life....don't believe all this hype crap. Come on...some people think that shots given to babies/children cause autism and what not and choose not to get their kids vaccinated and to me that is very sad. I know kids that have autism and a couple of them didn't get shots...the FDA wouldn't allow it to be given to pregnant women at all if it was not safe for the mother or the fetus...

I was on the fence about getting the H1N1 but my OB strongly recommended it and was distributing it in his office, so i went with his recommendation. I actually had gotten the regular flu shot before i got pregnant.

My family doctor clearly stated to my daughter that she should be getting this one and the flu shot. that's why I voted yes!! You can...

Good Luck!

Thanks