Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Bandsters?

Don't get discouraged--I've been toying with the same 5 pounds for about a month....I'm a few pounds away from "Onederland"---it ain't nothing but the DEVIL making these pounds hang on me!!! ;) LOL

Weigh yourself on Monday--and if you need a plateau breaker--post on this site and I'll post so we can all see it.

hi bigbaby

well i lost one pd so i guess i am starting up again i can not wait to be in onewonderland but if u know a plateau breaker please share it with us all. also tann if you are reading how are u doing?

ziahmama

Here's what someone shared with me......I didn't do it for the full time, but I still lost--it's not a gimmick--just doing what is right.

I followed this for 7 days and lost 6 lbs, hope it helps!

Do this for 10 days to break a plateau

#1 - Drink 2 quarts of Water a day

#2 - You must have 45 grams of Protein supplement and all your vitamins/minerals supplements each day

#3 - You may consume up to 3 oz of high Protein foods, 5x a day

beef

pork

chicken

turkey

lamb

fish

eggs

low fat cheese

cottage cheese

plain yogurt

Peanut Butter

beans/legumes

You may also have:

sugar free popsicles

tea or coffee

sugar free soda

sugar free Jello

broths/bullion

crystal light drinks

#4 - If it's not on the list, you can't have it for 10 days!!!!

#5 - Keep a food diary and try to get up to 30 mins of exercise daily

The plateau buster is basically like going low carb for a while. I have been thinking about doing low carb to hurry up and get to goal. It really shouldnt be too hard because most of us have already cut bread, rice and Pasta out of our diets anyway.

hi

destiny have u lost 5osome pounds since 12/07 or did you lose some before the band? you are doing good.

bigbaby thanks for the plateau breaker which Protein did you like and can the Water intake also be within crystal light and water used to make the protein supplements?

ziahmama

Hey CTMAN,

I am new to LBT and have heard of your popularity. I want to congratulate you on your surgery date and hope you are doing well. I am a 40 yr old AA female scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ehrlich on 4/22/08. How did you survive the pre-op diet...all liquid shakes for 10 days scares the heck out of me. I know I can do all things with Christ who strengthens me and he has not brougt me this far to leave me now...but I would love any help or suggestions you can offer. God Bless!!

Whoa. I have not referred to this thread in awhile. I am surprised by a lot of the hostility.

Please believe me, I was not trying to be controversial or derogatory in anyway. Rather I was trying to stay informed. To say that treatment plans are the same for everyone regardless of race or gender, is misinformed. For example, it is widely accepted that Calcium channel blockers are very good for the treatment of hypertension in African americans. For me to spend $15,000+, I want to know EVERYTHING about it. Especially what obstacles I (a black female) may find.

Take it for what it I originally asked. Nothing more, nothing less.

I certainly have some major issues with this discussion. For one I don't think it takes into account that weight loss is slower for women than it is for men, it's also slower as you age, and if you haven't changed the habits that caused you to be obese in the first place, your results will most likely be less than someone who has. To me, African American refers to a cultural group, and like Lawanda mentioned Africans and many other black people around the world do not have an obesity issue. I think the obesity issue for African Americans is because we live in a culture that promotes excess. And when you take into account the socio-economic element of it all - African American's tend to be in the lower end. So what it boils down to if you have 5 dollars for lunch it might make more sense to get fast food or soul food then spending it on a high priced vegetarian option. And lastly, if you live in an urban environment it makes it even more difficult for to you exercise. My point is one that has been expressed thoughout this thread, I'm not being judgemental, but the band is a tool, one that needs to accompany exercise, healthy eating choices, and a strong support network. The idea that my band has failed because I'm black doesn't sit well with me at all.

Kin

weight.png

Low socioeconomic status = black? Come on. There are poor whites, poor hispanics, poor anyone of any color. However, we have PLENTY of QUITE obese African american women. Look at Oprah. A woman with the most money of damn near every woman in the world.

yes, you can put a lot on the socio economic status. But you also have to wonder about the how much genetics plays a role.

Africans do tend to have a lower BMI ( i happen to be West African). But our diets are drastically different. Our food choices are drastically different. Our daily activities are drastically different. But believe me, many Africans that I know of come here and adopt Western diets and suddenly have issues with their weight. Genetics does play a role.

Greetings my original egyptian kings and queens.

I am an 31 year old queen.

Why do people stay stuff like this?

The majority of African Americans in this country are of West African descent.

Hello tropicana

I hope i am not too late replying this thread in May but i just wanted to say that i am Nigerian to be specific and banded May of last year. My struggles with weight i dont think is genetic but my lifestyle and the kind of food i eat. When i was in Nigeria, i would eat the same foods as i eat now (I've been in America for 12 years), but then i noticed that in Nigeria, i did not have a car and was forced to walk 2miles in the morning to work and 2miles back. then i thought what suffering. Did not realise it was the help i needed. I think this to be true of most Nigerians. Althogh we consume a lot of cab foods, we were forced to burn it through mandetory exercises. Since I've been in America going to the store up the street would require me taking my car. When i first got banded, my problem with my nutritionist was what to eat. She wanted me to eat salads, measure my food etc. well the problem with that was i grew up eating pounded yam, garri, spinach...cooked in oil and all kinds of additions, ogbono etc. I was never taught about counting calories and my nutritionst, could not count them for me cause she was not familiar with these foods. But well after a year of this struggle and loosing 58lb, i can tell you, that my success came from counting calories (calorie-count.com) and monitoring my food (sparkpeople.com). I've had almost a total life change. Although i still eat pounded yam, rice etc, i just dont eat it as often and my portion is very small. I HAVE had a lifestyle change. The best thing i could do for myself was the band surgery. You kind of find our way after a while i think. So if you're thinking of doing the band, i would say go for it. Most of us AAs may find it harder because of the kinds of food we grew up eating...soul food, fried food...you know all the truly good stuff. Once we change our eating habit and portion we loose as much as anybody else. Good luck to everyone.

You may consider contacting African American health professional organizations such as the National Black Nurses Association, National Medical Association, Chi Eta Phi, etc. Another resource may be schools of nursing or medicine at historically black colleges/universities. Good Luck!

Tammygirl

Hello everyone! I am also a AA female, and I am currently waiting for my approval. I am praying I will soon be approved! (Please keep me in your prayers) I have a few questions that hopefully you all can answer. I know as AA's we typically good elasticity of the skin( due to extra melalonin(sp?) I am wondering how is your skin now that you all have lost the weight? Is it terribly saggy? Are you able to gulp down Water? I am really concerned that I will never be able to gulp down water again! Do you notice that when you loose weight you loose it up top or bottom first, or is it more evenly distributed? I know its a lot of questions but this info will really help me out. Thanks in advance.