Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Bandsters?

I am 39 year old AAF. I was banded 1/19/07 and so far have lost 65 pounds not including 15 pounds pre-op. I work with several AA and white females who have been banded. I have not seen any significant differences in the amount of weight loss between the two groups. We talk and share our up's and down's all time. We seem to all have the same issues.

Being an AA I was looking for a thread for AA's to ask questions about our scarring and hair loss.

Can anyone tell me your story? did you lose some of your hair? what do your scars look like? What meds did you use to lighten the scars? Any info would be appreciated

Future Bandster 2/14/08

Being an AA I was looking for a thread for AA's to ask questions about our scarring and hair loss.

Can anyone tell me your story? did you lose some of your hair? what do your scars look like? What meds did you use to lighten the scars? Any info would be appreciated

Future Bandster 2/14/08

Hey

you cannot even see my scars anymore my stretch marks are worst than any scar lol , as far as Hair loss so far so good I have non , but girl if I do I will slap some weave in my head lol

Destiny79,

its good to know your scars are good, and as far as the weave goes, i never had one but i sure will get one if i have to! lol

You go girls and dont let any RESEARCH data slow your progress!!! I personally think this is where the RACE issue ends!! And we are all SISTERS!! We are ALL in this together!!

Never say never!!!

Connie:smile:

You go CONNIE C!!!!!!! We are all in this together for real!

I just need to know whats going happen to my hair since our textures are different.

I have not lost any hair, I'm all natural and my hair is strong and long. And I'm a success story.:wink:

WOW Tann,

You are my new hero. We are almost the same height. Your weightloss is amazing!!!!! May I ask what size you started out and what you currently wear now? That has been freaking me out not knowing what size I will be with how much weight lost I will have.

WOW Tann,

You are my new hero. We are almost the same height. Your weightloss is amazing!!!!! May I ask what size you started out and what you currently wear now? That has been freaking me out not knowing what size I will be with how much weight lost I will have.

I was wearing sz 34/36 now I'm wearing 14/16. I have picked up a few pounds over the holidays but they are coming off pretty fast since I just had a fill a few days ago. I do have some pics in the before and after thread, my latest ones I posted around Nov. 14 so you can check them out. I have more pics in that thread too, but they are so far back.

I have had quite a bit of hairloss..... but I also had hairloss several other times in my life, usually when I was having a surgical procedure done. So if you have a history of it.... It may happen.... but it's nothing a synthetic drawstring comb ponytail can't handle ;)

As far as scarring, mine look amazing. I'm about 6 weeks out, and you can hardly tell where my port was (and that was the biggest incision).... My doctor uses stitches-- and he did a great job, all of scars are nice and flat... from past experience, I knew to use mederma once they healed over... to help out with the dark spots and they look great.

My weightloss has been slow but steady:16 lbs after the first two weeks and 2 lbs a week, every week since then.... And I'm getting better and better at maintaining my stamina during my exercise routines.... I am quite pleased

Slow and steady wins the race!

Good Luck Everyone!

Hi Tann

I haven't seen you here in a long time !!:smile:

Yeah, I know I go and come. I'm having fun being a normal size person. Sometimes I check in but don't post.

You guys are so brave. Tann you are an inspiration to us all. I believe that my fear of failure is what is keeping me from getting started. So far I have been a fat person all of my life and everything has failed. My friend had it done and she has not done well so it is just another excuse. However, seeing you guys success I am encouraged to talked to my doctor tomorrow. She has already said that she would do whatever it took to make sure that I get the surgery as long as I did the 6 months of diet. I have several friends that have had gastric bypass and I really don't to do that. You guys have given me reason to hope, which I had given up on. I can do this--I mean I just tried a diet plan which was completely unhealthy but I was desperate. I will let you guys know what my MD says.

Hi Saninbham, I don't persuade anyone about the band. I can only tell people what the Lord has done for me, thru the band.

I know several people in my support band group that have not lost much weight at all, and one lady even died a few months ago. We still don't know if it was band related or not.

I tell people to pray about because it is a life changing decision that should not be taken lightly.

Wishing you much success:wink: