Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Information on Port Infections

New Information on Port Infections

Another long post - grab some coffee. Yesterday I had a long talk with one of the world's top band experts (opined by me, Inamed, and thousands of others.) Names aren't important at this point - it's all common sense. Do not accuse me of spreading rumors or slamming doctors. My telephone reception wasn't the clearest since I was talking to another country, so don't quote my exact words. This source is famous around LBT and other boards for his stellar reputation. Do not ask for names, I'm not here to insult or slam anyone. If you don't like what this says, ignore it, but I'm compelled to share based on what I believe to be truth and fact.

Those of us who have had port infections/revisions (red, swollen, infected, warm) have a good chance of eroding within two years of banding. Could be more, could be less, or you could get ultra-lucky. I'm practically counting on erosion (I feel the vibe.) I've decided against a new port, and I'll keep my band till I lose restriction. Loss of restriction is a warning sign of erosion. I'm expecting the worse. Let's hope I'm wrong. No worries, life goes on. Now's the time to focus on gaining control over my eating disorders.

"Port infections typically happen during band installation; the doctors in TJ are excellent surgeons, but the 'surgical centers' they work out of are not adequately equipped and can't afford necessary medical equipment."

The problem isn't with the surgeon, thank God! The problem is with these "surgical centers" that fall far below the standards of a sterile hospital, which is something we've been suspicious of all along. These laparoscopic tools called a "trochar" (thanks, Kimber) are so expensive that Mexican "surgical centers" (office buildings that have been converted to surgery suites) often re-use expensive surgical tools after sterilizing them. However, you can't get the tools hot enough to properly sterilize them without damaging the tool.

If a new tool is not used EACH time, bacteria will harbor. Will harbor, not might harbor. It might take a couple years, but the bacteria will be there, and it will eventually grow.

The large Mexican hospitals that are like our sterile US hospitals don't allow re-use of tools. New tools must be used with each surgery, which is why the Band surgery is more expensive in more reputable places. Cutting corners is a way for TJ to offer the Band at a lower price. Again, don't accuse me of spreading rumors because I'm simply relaying information that came from someone that's been placing bands for 15 years and hasn't had an infection in over 1.5 years.

I am NOT saying TJ performs with used tools. I'm saying I was told this by an impressive source, and it makes perfect sense since I have firsthand knowledge that a BRAND NEW surgical center in TJ re-uses medical supplies! The white surgical stockings I was given during my port replacement were used. They were clean, but they had snags and worn spots. Another LBT member saw a HYPODERMIC NEEDLE laying on a nurse's station in a different TJ surgical facility. These facilities are NOT sterile.

On a side note, he told me that US patients are coming to him. One person has been on antibiotics for her port infection for months (prescribed by a US doctor to kill the infection.) I almost cried for her. Her infection would go away, but every time she stopped the antibiotics it would return. Antibiotics can't kill a port infection. An infected port must be removed. AN INFECTED PORT MUST BE REMOVED.

It is my opinion based on 1.5 years of research that port infections begin during band placement from use of non-sterile tools.

It is my opinion a top Band surgeon is Swedish, and he uses the Swedish Band.

It is my opinion a top Band surgeon is in Italy.

It is my opinion a top Band surgeon is in Mexico, but not TJ.

It is my opinion Dr. Billy is on his way to being a top Band surgeon (I didn't put him on top yet simply due to the lack of time the Band has been in the US.)

It is my opinion that US citizens should avoid Tijuana "surgical centers" at all costs.

It is my opinion that you are responsible for asking your surgeon if he uses new tools and surgical supplies.

I may edit this thread as the day goes by since my mind works slower these days, but I won't change anything, I'll just add. Okay?

I beleive the device is called a trochar. The non sterilizable non reuseable device.

Excellent post- tough for those who are looking for less expensive alternatives, however it cannot be stressed enough--DO NOT CUT CORNERS REGARDING YOUR HEALTH CARE! Prevention prevention prevention is the most cost saving method.

Got my coffee, good read. Please please please add to amend, don't change.

Okay, I had a great band surgery but I can't say that I can refute anything you say about the re-use of tools. I don't know about trochars (I think that's how you spell the tool that goes into your body cavity so the surgeon can manipulate and place the band) but the catheter I had was a rubber hose, and while I can't swear it was reused, I remember thinking, wow, I hope they have an autoclave here...but can rubber tubing be put into an autoclave? A bucket of bleach Water? Blech...makes ya wonder.

The windows in the rooms were open with no screens. While the place wasn't swarming with flies and bugs...it WAS clean, I felt like that was a cleanliness issue? Call me crazy?

When a needle goes into someone's skin, I would hope that wasn't reused on someone else. I doubt that would happen. However, when drugs are inserted via IV line, it wouldn't surprise me to find the same needle being used. Again, I can't confirm or deny, just a gut feeling. There were three of us lined up down the wall in the room. Two were band surgeries that day, and one was a port repair. The two of us got the same meds at the same time each dose. However, I do remember seeing the tray with 6 different needles, 3 for me, 3 for her, with the meds for us. I KNOW we didn't share, but I don't know if they were reused.

I remember wondering how well-trained these little nurses were. Where did they go to school? Who taught them? They were certainly skilled, but how would I know about their education? I also remember feeling that my doc has a vested interest in being sure hi sUS patients are well-taken care of and protected from danger. He has a reputation to protect and so he's not likely to hire an idiot, right?

Listen, I'm happy with my MX doc and my MX experience. My sister said she plans to see my doc when her band time comes, and she was awake and aware and saw everything but the actual surgery. That says alot to me. It's hard for me to regret but I can say that I was aware of all this BEFORE I went and rolled the dice.

Mexico is not the right choice for many. My surgery turned out great. But anyone going needs to know that these are very real possibilities.

Great post. Thanks.

Kathy, can you please AMEND? Hahah, but use English for us dummies! "I hope they have an autoclave here...but can rubber tubing be put into an autoclave? A bucket of bleach Water?"

What the heck did you say?

I also went to Kuri for my port removal. Lovely man, very thorough, and his work and his assistant's stitches were immaculate. However...

The table I was on was NOT in a sterile enviroment since there were no doors. People were walking in and out, around and about. Many American nurses fall below par, so I don't believe all the nurses in TJ are careful enough. I was in three different facilites in Mexico, and each one scared me in one way or another. A real Mexican hospital would never allow re-used stockings, let alone re-used tools.

It's not always about the surgeon. Choose your facility wisely.

I was too scared to go to Mexico - luckily my doc is right here in good old USA and only charged 12, 600 and did my surgery at a hospital. 12, 600 doesn't seem like too much more than people pay to go to Mexico.

Anyways, I have no knoweldge on the subject but I asked my SIL who is a doc and she said health care standards are SO MUCH higher and MUCH MORE regulated than Mexico - who some say has the WORST health cre standards of all non-3rd-world countries.

First of all congrats on Day 4 - No Soda. Good job!

I can see you have been doing quite alot of research into Band Docs and are just curious about what your opinion is of the docs from Australia who have been doing Lap Band surgeries for quite awhile. I'm also curious as to why the first doc is the best with the Swedish band. Thanks

Chris S.

Kathy, can you please AMEND? Hahah, but use English for us dummies! "I hope they have an autoclave here...but can rubber tubing be put into an autoclave? A bucket of bleach Water?"

What the heck did you say?

hehe.

Sorry, I type what I would speak...lots of words...amend is to change, revise, correct. Meaning, don't change anything you have already typed, just add to your post and say what it is you want to make more clear, or to change, revise, correct.

An autoclave is a machine that sterilizes equipment. I think it uses heat so I don't think you could sterilize rubber tubing in it, which means you are sterilizing rubber tubing in a bucket of bleach? after you take it out of SOMEONE'S urethra and put it into MY urethra? Or are you just sticking it in a sink and washing it with Joy? I guess my point is, who knows?

Does anyone here know?

I used to work at a vet clinic and we had an autoclave for surgical tools. You CANNOT autoclave rubber or tubing - it would melt! No tubing should be reused for any reasons - not catheter tubing, not trachea tubing, not IV line tubing - NO TUBING is re-usable as you cannot sterilize it! Point is, anything used in surgery, and I mean ANYTHING should come in a never-opened sterlized package and NEVER be re-used! Alot of vet clinics don't do this and we treated so many infections from re-used trachea tubes and what not.

Another point about Mexico from a law student's perspective is that you cannot sue them for failing to adhere to medical standards like you can in the US. I am not trying to put down Mexico b/c I completely understand why people go there and I know alot of people are very happy with thier Mexico surgeries, but point is, rules are broken everywhere and at least in the US you have a legal system that offers restitution or reprecussions. The Mexico doectors don't have that fear of lawsuits in thier brain - hopefully they follow the rules anyways, but in the US the "rules" are safer!

Furthermore, it is my opinion, based on impressive testimony, that Inamed has been made aware on countless occasions that their product is being installed in facilities that fall way below standards. Awe, who cares when they are making a buttload of money?

Once again, I am no expert but I know that re-use is common in vet clinics and I do feel I am entitled to back DeLarla up on these claims as I worked at a vet clinic for 3 years and saw/treated MANY MANY MANY infections from unsterilized / re-used equipment. It's a serious problem as it literally takes just ONE microscopic bug to cause an infection, erode your band, make you sick for months, and even kill you!

Please don't think I'm all anti-Mexico and jump on me b/c I am not - I'm just saying beware of infection when you go to a country that doesn't have the same standards and laws that we do in the US. Infection is a very serious matter!

I based my opinion of the Swedish doctor on the fact that he's the first one that started this whole Band thing with the Swedish Band. Sorry, but I haven't researched any Australian doctors.

As far as re-use of tools in a vet clinic, that makes me furious. My pets are my children. Thanks for adding that, because I will be sure to insist on all new equipment and supplies if my babies ever need surgery again. I'll pay the extra money.

And my overall opinion of my Band has never changed - my band rocks! If I had to do it all again, I would get a list of doctors, then I'd get a list of the facilities they practice in. I would pay twice as much for the insurance of a sterile environment.

Trust me, a port infection can really ruin a girl's day, week, month, year, decade!

By the way, I am "loosely considering" Mexico for plastic surgery. It's on my list of potential's, but I'm talking about a major hospital far from TJ with a highly qualified surgeon.

I'm not anti-Mexico, I'm just anti-Mexican-surgical-centers that don't have proper equipment - like an ICU unit, for example.

Something else to consider is small towns = smaller price. My mom is getting her facelift with a wonderful Dallas doctor b/c she has severe rhuematoid arthritis and has to be an inpatient in a hospital but alot of her healthy friends went to Oklahome for a few days and all got PS for 1/2 the price of Dallas. I got my band for 12,600 by going to a doc in a suburb of Dallas - not Dallas. Locations location location. Research other states too, not just other countires if you want to save money and don't want to go outide the US.

not a good word for my Greek surgeon? :P

i did a lot of research with my husband as he is also surgeon, he watched all the procedure and the operation and he was suttisfied by the surgeon, his tools, the stuff,

the hospital, everything..

pls add some good words for me the Greek :(