Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inpatient or Outpatient @ your hospital

Hi Everyone. I just found out I was approved today but for the lapband surgery on an outpatient basis...

My drs office said they dont mind doing he procedure on an outpatient basis but the hospital is the one that wants everyone to have the lb surgery done on an inpatient procedure so they get more money.

Has this happened to you? What happened? I am praying the hospital will let me have my surgery done on an outpatient basis. I am so scared!!! Send some prayers my way please :scared2:

Hmmm that's interesting. I am wondering if the surgeon submitted the forms to request that it be inpatient. With any surgery, it should be an option so they can keep an eye on you for any immediate complications.

When I got my approval yesterday, they didn't mention that specific to me, although my surgeon does specifically request that his patients stay one night for post-op observation.

Did you receive an approval letter or did they tell you this over the phone? I mean, they do say it's easy enough to be an outpatient surgery, but they should at least allow for the option for the surgeon to use his judgment on whether or not you should stay over. I am wondering if your surgeon can call your ins company to get clarification on that for you.

Sorry I wasn't much help! Please let me know what happens!

Congrats on your approval!!! :scared2:

My surgeon said I'd be outpatient because I'm a lower risk patient. BUT when I reminded him I live over 2 hrs away we decided it would be best if I stay at a local hotel & see him in his office the next day.

I have to stay at the hotel the night before surgery anyways (or leave my house at 4 am to get to hosp. on surgery day). My husband will be with me. The dr said the hospital will pay for both nights of my hotel stay.

Mine was inpatient (1 night) however I had a port replacement that was outpatient.

My surgeons office requested it to be inpatient, but my insurance put it for outpatient. They said I can stay 24 hrs then if I need more then the surgeon can request me to stay longer. Its the hospital that wants this to be inpatient. I guess they want to make more money if its inpatient...

My doctor okayed me to go home the day of the surgery (my surgery was at 7AM and he said I could go home in the evening) but I decided to just stay overnight because I liked that I was getting adequate fluids via IV as well as the pain meds. I also felt more comfortable, should there be any problem at all, being in the hospital. I had a private room and my fiancee stayed overnight with me. My brother was also there for both days because he is a student at Temple Med, so he was in or near the hospital anyways (so convenient). I felt 100% comfortable leaving the day after, and I am definitely glad I stayed for the night.

It shouldn't be the hospitals call. If your insurance will only pay outpatient then they should accomodate. They do it for self pays because ins won't pay the stay. I would make the argument that it is in a way like self pay.

Greg

My surgeon required 1 night stay in the hospital. I was self pay so it was all included up to a 3 night stay. I was happy to stay the 1 night just to get the care and fluids etc...

I had a private room and it was great!

Mine is scheduled for outpatient at a surgical center thats next to a hospital but not technically in a hospital. I am self pay, so my surgeon didn't want me to have to pay the extra expense especially since I'm low risk, young, and don't have any "health problems" other than being over weight.

My surgeon required 1 night inpatient and my insurance approved it.