Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get banded with a BMI below 40?

If so how's it working for you? Are you happy with the results?

Angie

I had a BMI of 36 with a co-morbid of high blood pressure. I love my band. I've lost about 1/2 the weight I want too but it really hard I haven't been the perfect bandster but still love that it enables me to feel full. I've been banded around 18 months without any problems.

Mine was around 37. I have osteoarthritis and spinal problems. I have been very happy. It worked well for me and I found it very easy to lose weight consistently for the first time in my life!

My BMI was 37 when I called the surgeon for the first time, and 35 on the day of surgery. I had no co-morbidities but had a significant familial history of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

The band has been wonderful for me. I lost 100% of my excess weight in 7 months, had a body lift to remove my excess skin, then went on to lose another 19lbs in the months that followed.

My BMI was 36, I lost 100lb or so which was about 120% of my excess weight. Meaning I got well under the 24.9 BMI as the top level of "normal" weight.

For me, it was slower, it took me 2 years but I'm not a big believer in dieting - i dont do low carb, I dont agree with eating less than 1200 calories a day and I dont want to EVER diet again. So I was more than happy to take it nice and slow, eat quite a bit more than other bandsters - and not lose my hair.

I ended up without significant excess skin, but I do have some. If I could remove about 3 inches around my middle with a total body lift, I would seriously have an AWESOME figure, and six pack abs to boot. It really frustrates me because if it were hanging, disfiguring and really problematic, such a huge operation could be justified. As it is people, particularly family, would think I was certifiably crazy to do it. I have a lot of trouble coming to terms with either just living with the sag (I am 42 afterall) or being vain enough to spend that sort of money and take that sort of risk for a problem most people dont even think I have. It might have been easier to ahve been much fatter in the first place, lol.

I sound nuts, I know, but this issue is probably the hardest one for me. I am healthy, I look pretty good, but I'm a chronic perfectionist and cant help wanting to look perfect at 42 after 3 babies, unrealistic as that is.

Jachut,

I'd say you look pretty damned good overall and I don't know if trading the bit of sag you have for a whole torso full of scars would be a good exchange. For me, it was worth it because I had 3.5kgs of excess skin hanging over my pubis and bum, but I've seen your stomache and IMO removing the sagging skin you have isn't worth the massive scars, never mind the cost.

I can't wear a bikini ever again (Not that I could before, mind you!). You still look great in one!

Thanks for the input. My BMI is 37, but I have high blood pressure and am a seriously loud sleeper so I'm trying to fix things before it gets too bad. I see all these people who have lost so much and I only weight 210 but I'm 5'2". People who know my weight think I'm crazy for even considering the band.

When my pcp referred me to the surgeon I was 218, at 5' 3". After doing all the preop stuff I was @ 200 on surgery day. This morning the scale read 180, so I am down 20lbs in six weeks. I am ecstatic with the results I am getting from the band thus far.

I began my weight loss journey with a BMI of 36 and I am now at 31. I was told by my surgeon that I may not be able to lose as fast as someone who may have more to lose as the initial weight loss may show up more on them. When I saw her today she was thrilled with my progress and that made me feel really good.

Thanks for the input. My BMI is 37, but I have high blood pressure and am a seriously loud sleeper so I'm trying to fix things before it gets too bad. I see all these people who have lost so much and I only weight 210 but I'm 5'2". People who know my weight think I'm crazy for even considering the band.

I am in the same boat - 200 lbs @ 5'1. Friday is my last visit before insurance can be submitted. I am hoping - hoping - hoping to have surgery in about three weeks. I can't wait. I eat junk food but I do like healthy food. With my BMI lower than 40 I have not lost any weight the last 6 months...gained about 10 pund actually. I am ready for healthy food in small portions. I can eat carrots - no problem....but I will eat 100 of them!!

I was right where bennigancat and Dawn were before I had a Tummy Tuck and Lipo. I thought that was going to solve all my problems, WRONG! I am 5'1"and I was at 218 when I had those surgeries.Yes I would do that again, (4 c-sections) because my stomach was nasty! After a year I had gained back 38lbs that I had lost. From 218 to 175 to 193 almost two years later. My sweet sweet husband tells me "Go get the band!" So I did. I was 193 the day I met the surgeon. I am self pay because of my stupid insurance. Today I am at 151 and I am so glad I did it. It has been 5 months and it has been awesome! I would totally do it again! I have 15 pounds till my own goal. My surgeon told me I was the perfect candidate because I was still young enough (42) bless his heart and I didnt have any health issues.

I hope this helps!

D

I was 36.5BMI when I got approved for LAP-BAND (self-pay). I've lost 67% so far of what I WANT to lose - I'm 4.75 lbs overweight, would like to lose 33.75 lbs more. I'm ecstatic with what the band has helped me to lose so far, and it's great for maintenance. I'm getting back into losing hardcore and I appreciate the extra boost. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I feel like a completely different person. I'm almost 2 years out from my surgery.