Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people tested positive for sleep apnea? I have my overnight in a couple of days and was just wondering.

I just had my test and failled it so I guess I do have,

My mom had a stroke at age 53 from sleep apnea. Because of this I went in for a sleep study and had it worse than my mom. At the time of my study, I weighed almost 300 pounds though. My sleep dr said that when I lost 20% of my weight that I should come back in and do another test. I have an appointment next week to talk to him again about a second sleep study now that I've lost enough weight. Sure would be nice to get off that machine!

I tested positive for sleep apnea ealier this year. I pray that after enough weight loss I can get off my machine.

I was tested on 9/3/09. I have mild sleep apnea. I went back on 9/19/09 to repeat the test with a CPAP machine. I meet with a Pulmonologist on 10/22/09 to review everything & I guess get a CPAP. I'm irritated that they could not get me in sooner to review everything & get the ball rolling.

I tested several months ago and do have sleep apnea. My husband has had it for years. We are both happy that we found out before we went any further without the benefit of our CPAP's (Constant Positive Air Pressure). sleep apnea is a serious condition that can cause several health problems.

I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to the CPAP because I have claustrophobia and can't stand anything over my face!!! I was really happy to find an alternative to the mask. I have nasal pillows instead and the head gear that holds them does not cover my face. I can even keep my glasses on and read myself to sleep!!! In less than 2 weeks I was totally used to being on the CPAP.

My sleep doctor says that it is very possible that I can stop using it because of the weight loss. Of course that depends on whether or not I have obstructive sleep apnea, or another type that is neurological. He thinks I have the obstructive type and that gives me a good chance of getting off of it. Having said that, I really won't mind that much if I have to keep using it.

So, that was a long message to say "don't worry" too much about it! In fact my having it counted as another co-morbidity and helped me get approval for the insurance to agree to pay for the lap-band. In a strange way, I should be thankful for having sleep apnea!?!?!:biggrin:

I did my test in July and I was told I only had mild apnea that they believed would be corrected with weight loss from the band. I think of all the pre-testing the sleep study was the hardest for me cause I'm not a good sleeper. I probably willed myself to breath so I didn't have to repeat it....lol It was hard to sleep in a strange place. I think it helps to really tire yourself out so you can fall asleep faster. Good Luck.

I didn't even have to have the test. YAY It's not an uncommon comorbidity of obesity, though.

I was tested memorial day '09 and I had sleep apnea then I was tested again on August 1st they ordered a special mask for me...I could not tolerate it so I signed myself out at 1:00am. I was afraid my pulmo Dr. would not approve me for surgery. but he did........thankfully

I've had sleep apnea for several years ( I found out when I did a sleep study). I was given a retainer to wear that holds my tongue down and pulls my jaw forward. Part of the reason I was approved by insurance for the band was because of this diagnosis.

I've had a C-PAP for over 10 years and LOVE IT !

I tested postive :biggrin: i have a Bipap but its been a hell to get used too.

I have sleep apnea. Test showed I stopped breathing when going into stage 3 of sleep. Now use a nasal cpap and actually really like it!