Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

insanity:eating candy

It's not even Halloween yet, but I've started eating candy. Say whattt??? I've read about this problem here on the boards -It goes down better than real food...and of course -it tastes like...candy.

So, here I am up to no good as I was before the band. I try so hard to eat nutritiously, but the old feelings of boredom and unhappiness are still with me. And, it doesn't help my cause any at all when it is difficult for me to tolerate real food. I've been overeating a bit at Nighttime meal times ( always my big meal reward for making it through another day ...I teach high school, God help me). The food doesn't look like it is too much, but when I stop, I realize that I should have stopped several bites before.

SO, here I sit every afternoon, watching Everybody Loves Raymond, thinking about how alone I feel and what food will make me happy for dinner.

Old habits are hard to break -even after radical surgery!

I can't say that I need help in obvious ideas, I'm pretty logical in realizing that eating candy is not good and that overeating is not good. We all know that! :thumbup:

So, I guess I'm wondering who else out there is still making the same old bad choices and what can we do to stop???

ps. Ive already tried to focus on the happiness of the possibility of losing weight and feeling better; all the wonderful things to come... My probelm is wanting to live in the moment!!

I guess you decided not to have your band removed?

I honestly suggest therapy. The band won't take care of head hunger; you have to handle that on your own.

I was going to suggest seeking counseling too. I'm not trying to be high-horsey at all, I swear. I'm far from a perfect bandster.

To me, though, it sounds like you're sabotaging yourself. You're talking about eating because of boredom and unhappiness...

Are you seeking help or advise, or just looking to commisserate with someone?

If you KNOW you aren't eating because of hunger, then you need help with the emotional head-hunger. If you really are trying to address hunger, then feed yourself food that will fill your pouch and not feed your appetite. I'd suggest food that is rich and satisfying and yet 'whole'... nuts, olives, cheese, etc.

I go to a therapist so I wasn't being high horsey either! :thumbup:

In fact I went to her for a year before I got the band and just started going back about a month ago. I think it's vital if you are struggling with head hunger, actually.

I'm having the same issues of self-sabotage. And I have followed RestlessMonkey's replies in the past with great respect so...immediately after this post I'm going to e-mail my PA at Bariatrics Associates and ask for the name of a therapist. Tomorrow I will call and make an appointment. I think I've proven it to myself over and over that it's head hunger now and not physical hunger. And I'm ready to deal with it. Thank-you Denouement, RestlessMonkey and LindaD!

hi

these are good suggestions.....the head hunger doesnt go away when you get near goal. so it is better to deal with it as soon as we can.

i'm grappling with it even now..... i'm doing everything in my power to overcome it.

good luck to everyone

josie

The best thing I ever did for myself was to start counseling. I love my nutritionist's saying that they've banded your stomach, not your head. On a very different level, if you're not eating out of boredom, let me suggest that you might try increasing your Water and Protein. Before my life as a banded woman, I found my food cravings to really diminish when I was eating well balanced meals and making sure I was getting what I needed nutritionally.

Let's face it, though....you didn't get obese by eating healthy. These habits are so difficult to break. I spent the night curled up on the couch last weekend with my two best buddies---Ben and Jerry. I very consciously did it. I was well aware of what I was doing! I just "needed" it. Now, when I get on the scale and see I've gained a few pounds, I just accept that I have to get back on the wagon and make a better commitment to myself. By the way, if you've recently started back to work, is it stress eating??!! I KNOW, without a doubt, that this is why I'm eating this week. I just started back to school.

We're all right there with you or we wouldn't need to have this tool surgically implanted. Find a healthy replacement behavior or just keep the tiny sizes of candy around so you aren't able to over indulge. Being banded doesn't have to mean giving up everything you love---it just gives you a way to better control your portion size. Good luck to you. Just know you're not alone.

Obesity is a nasty disease, that's for sure. I went to my therapist as my "last rope" before surgery and she helped, but not enough that I felt I could lose the over 200 I need to just using what she taught me. I did well with the band (esp once I hit my green zone this May! It was love at first sight! LOL) but life is stressful and I found myself falling back into the "grazing" thing I used to do at night. It's a struggle, but then what isn't, right? My therapist is helping me and between her and the band and my desperate desire to lose more weight, I think (cross fingers) I've got the right mix! :thumbup:

And thanks, ReadyinCT, for your nice words! I googled "behavioral therapists eating disorders San Antonio" and that's how I found "my" therapist; so if your idea doesn't come up with anything, try google! :frown:

I just had a thought. Denouement, if you are alone, just DON"T buy candy and junk like that! It works for me. I don't really have anything in the house right now that I could snack on. I could COOK something but normally have enough will power to not do that. :thumbup:

I don't have any candy, any chips, crackers, Cookies, popcorn, cake, etc so if I want to snack i'm gonna have to bake some Gorton's fish filets or just eat grated 2% cheese! LOL It's easier to resist temptation when there isn't any.

So why do you have candy in your house?? Of course you are going to resort to your old habits if you don't change your environment. If I allow choc chip Cookies or brownies in my house I know I will eat them. But if they are not here, I'm not going to make a trip to the store to buy them.

I'm a month out on this journey and it's easy for me to say "I'll never let this happen to me". However, I'm also smart enough to realize that those words could well be my downfall someday. I'm a retired nurse and therefore know all the pros & cons of good eating, junk eating, etc. I also know the road to failure. Been there,done that, with other diets.

It's not the eating that is the issue here. It's BEHAVIOR. Simple as that. We have all undertaken a journey to better health and of course, weight loss. What does it take to get where we want to be? Hard work, sacrifice, sometimes hunger, and major behavioral changes. Life isn't easy and the band isn't magic. It's a tool to use to make changes....changes which should be good ones for us.

It takes a major overhaul of your life to meet the requirements you set for yourself when you began all of this journey. It's like cleaning out your closet...off with the old and on with the new. You have to change old habits, find new good habits. Don't sit around being bored at night. That's a straight road to failure. Find a hobby to keep you busy and your thoughts off of food. T.V. is your enemy! It's nothing but food commericals.

Since you're a teacher, you are very familiar with lessons plans. Make yourself a lesson plan for your own behavior and habits. Teach yourself new patterns to follow. Find ways to change your evening routines and don't even buy the candy. Why would you buy it anyway? It's a subliminal suggestion to eat it later. Change isn't easy but it can be done.

If you can't do it by yourself, go back to your therapist. Find out why you like to sabotage yourself. Be kind to yourself. You deserve to be healthier and skinner.

I don't live alone .... and the issues are more difficult under those circumstances, but they are still controllable!

My granddaughter Skye (who is 21 and weighed 106 when she moved in) and her daughter, who is 17 months old live with me. Skye is working hard to GAIN weight, so yes, I buy snacky sort of stuff that I absolutely cannot eat; I bake brownies even! BUT that stuff is in her room. It is NEVER allowed to stay in my kitchen and, for whatever reason, I would never consider going into her room and getting a brownie or whatever. Rini, bless her heart, wants to eat whatever Mimi (that's me) eats -- so she has developed a strong affection for cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Cheerios and fresh fruit. Her mom doesn't give her much sweet stuff, so fresh fruit with all that natural sweetness is a BIG treat regardless of how much she gets at one time or how often she gets it. Lessons here? (1) Don't have the bad stuff where you can get it and (2) learn to be like Rini -- let the really good stuff be your treats.

The other thing....WHY are you sitting in front of the TV watching old reruns? That's a deadly set-up for a visit to the kitchen to eat just because you can. Don't turn the TV on in the first place. Come home from school and change clothes and go work in the yard, take a LONG walk, anything productive that is active.

And, lastly, THERAPY. I believe that every person on the planet could benefit from at least some therapy. Some need more than others. Therapy can give you insight and coping skills that focus directly on your food issues.

Keep your hands busy...have you tried knitting or crocheting?

Also yummy food will become easier to make. Since I can only eat X amount of food...I eat what I want. Pieces of sliced steak on a whole romaine lettuce leaf with lite blue cheese dressing. Boiled chicken thigh with yellow rice & salsa. Talapia fried in a little olivio sprinkled with smoked paprika with fresh carrots dipped in lite blue cheese dressing. An egg sandwich with a thin slice of a really nice Tomato on melba thin rye toast. AND on a really lazy night...cheese & rye crackers or smoked turkey breast with little slices of cheese rolled up in it. My husband has not been overweight a day in his life & he really likes eating this way....he just eats more than I do.

My big goal is to stay away from slider food but, I've found, the longer I'm banded (I was banded in March '08)the less appealing slider food is to me. I used to love love love chips & dip...now I can do without it.

I hope we've been able to help you. It does get better & easier.

Elizabeth

Keep your hands busy...have you tried knitting or crocheting?

Also yummy food will become easier to make. Since I can only eat X amount of food...I eat what I want. Pieces of sliced steak on a whole romaine lettuce leaf with lite blue cheese dressing. Boiled chicken thigh with yellow rice & salsa. Talapia fried in a little olivio sprinkled with smoked paprika with fresh carrots dipped in lite blue cheese dressing. An egg sandwich with a thin slice of a really nice Tomato on melba thin rye toast. AND on a really lazy night...cheese & rye crackers or smoked turkey breast with little slices of cheese rolled up in it. My husband has not been overweight a day in his life & he really likes eating this way....he just eats more than I do.

My big goal is to stay away from slider food but, I've found, the longer I'm banded (I was banded in March '08)the less appealing slider food is to me. I used to love love love chips & dip...now I can do without it.

I hope we've been able to help you. It does get better & easier.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for the nice post and yes- very helpful. I love your ideas for making allowable foods sound so appealing, and I'm going to try to do the same! I go to the grocery store today and now I have a great start to my list. :wink: And I believe Linda mentioned nutritious foods like olives and nuts, and some from you others too! These are the kinds of foods that I associate with becoming healthier. I am afraid of foods like lettuce and nuts, but will give them a try. I hope to avoid slider foods, but it’s hard for me. Everyday is a new challenge! Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you all, too.

Don't be afraid...Romaine is very crunchy as are nuts. Both can be chewed to a pulp. Once in awhile I like a wedge of iceberg but it has about zero nutrients so I don't usually waste my calories on it.