Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I called the docs and they think my pouch is stretched. I don't get it though, I've followed the rules

I have been wanting more information about stretching a pouch as well. To stretch it you have to consistently overeat for an extended time right? And if you are careful for a long time wont it shrink back up or am I misunderstanding it?

from what I understood, your pouch can stretch if you drink too much at one time, the same for eating. I don't know the symptoms though. How do you know if your pouch has stretched?

I have heart burn so they think its stretched

hmm... that sucks. I am sorry. Let us know what you find out

any word? how is it going?

Well I don't get to see my surgeon untill monday but I got a call from my pcp I had routine bloodwork done and it turns out my thyroid is out of wack so I'm thinking it is my thyroid making my throat hurt and not my band

I had not heard that if you drink too much it can stretch your pouch!!! I drink like 32 oz at a time and have no problem getting it down. I'm scared!!! I have not had a fill yet, I'm scheduled for the 28th of this month. Should I be concerned? I thought that Water would just go straight down to the big stomach. Am I wrong?

My dr told me after surgery that I was supposed to drink an ounce every 7-10 minutes, and to definitely NOT use a straw, because taking in too much at one time could possibly stretch the pouch. But, I think you would know if something was wrong with your pouch. I am going to have to go ahead and start drinking more, because trying to remember to drink an ounce every ten minutes just leads to me being majorly dehydrated. So... I don't know.

Until/unless you are very restricted, fluids (like water) go through the band just fine. So no, you won't stretch your pouch drinking Water or non-carbonated beverages. I believe the "straw" issue is for swallowed air and not because you can drink too much at once. At least that is what I've always been told and heard.

And yes you have to have a pattern of overeating to stretch out your pouch; the odds of that happening before you're restricted are REALLY slim because while you gave a band, it isn't tightened and so not restricting your stomach much.

I'm just guessing but the doc thought the OP's pouch might be stretched and he was going to check her out; he thought that because of her sore throat?

If you don't have issues and don't consistently overeat, or you aren't restricted yet, you don't need to worry overmuch about stretching your pouch.

It is important to eat healthy, to not binge, to eat until "not hungry" rather than full, but for most of us there's a learning curve for this. Unless your doc fills you a good bit during surgery, you and your body have a little time (while the band heals into place) for you all to get used to each other. Then as you are restricted, eating properly becomes more important. Again, though, unless you chug liquid or are full and then drink a lot of liquid, the odds of a beverage, especially a non-carbonated one, stretching your pouch are very VERY slim. So drink up.

The restriction on Fluid post op, I was told, was mostly for people who are swollen and for whom liquids may cause nausea, because to vomit too soon post op can be problematic before the band heals into place. NOT because you're going to stretch your pouch by drinking.

Of course confirm with your doc but logically, again, liquids go through fine. You have to overeat in a pattern to stretch your pouch. And..sometimes bad things happen even if you follow all the rules, but we have to live with, not for, the band. :blink:

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Well had my appt with the surgeon and he just thought it was my new thyroid problem giving me the troubles thankfuly. And I even got a fill today.

I thought that I had stretched my pouch after 2 weeks of poor eating again. I did the 5 day pouch test (google) and now I feel as if I had just had surgery again. Nice and tight and am not able to eat half the food I did a month ago! :) great program